Page 490 of 968 FirstFirst ... 476486488489490491492494504 ... LastLast
Results 4,891 to 4,900 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. GOP raises taxes on the rich and Democrats are complaining.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F4DE326F-C5C9-408D-AB9B-7E5E9866FD5E.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	65.2 KB 
ID:	80996
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Can I sell this fucking stock without giving some ridiculous percentage to the government yet? It seems like your boy should be working on that.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Yes. But the stupid laws you've been talking about are Canadian.
    Except the ones in New York, of course.
    I don't see anything wrong with refusing to use nonsense pronouns, and I doubt it will ever be an actual issue, because the law does not specifically mention them. There's also the fact that none of these 'alternative' pronouns exist in Canadian French, and therefore can't be enforced, and may actually be prohibited in any official capacity in Quebec.
    The people screaming about how Canadians are going to be put in jail for not saying 'xir' are just blowing hot air.

The problem with the nonsense pronoun debate is that I have a hard time believing that the people protesting the most are really just against weird pronouns. Its like those people that protest fringe race or women rights issues. They don't really really care about the extremes they spend so much time protesting. They really just want to oppress minorities and "go back to the good old days"

Its just a way to rally the base while talking about the least offensive stuff their enemies disagree with them on.

Its not about saying xir. Its about having to call anyone not born female, "ms" or "she". It might even go as far as an overall bigotry towards the entire lbgt. But they can't talk about that publicly. So the xirs get all the hate, publicly.

5. You’re making a slippery slope argument there.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

no, slipper slope is when you do something and then everything continues on that path and gets worse.

I'm accusing people of being dishonest. Maybe over compensating for a hidden agenda.

7. I just feel like people are firing their ammunition in the wrong directions. It's not time for this yet. We're not so far removed from actress/actor.

Like, I'm attracted to men and women, but I only want to have sex with women. I don't need a new sexual orientation for that. It doesn't solve any problem.
    Boo, Hiss.

It is an interesting change in perspective. I think the previous generations would have pushed for what is accepted for men and women to grow, not to create new words specifically for variations.

I think part of the problem is how we perceive medical care. The concept of insurance and illegal drugs are mostly to blame. We frame "good" medical care as something that fixes an illness. We frame "bad" medical care as something that meets a want. Insurance pays for needs while we criminalize paying for drugs that fix wants.

Because of that, we have to frame a lot of trans stuff as an illness. Something that "needs" to be fixed.

The religious right shares a similar perspective. Needs are without blame, while wants are sinful.

We're not ready for a world of designer drugs. We're not ready for a world of designer bodies. Our perception of right and wrong isn't ready for it.

9. The American Dream was owning a homestead, then it was being a celebrity. Today, people have accepted those aren’t attainable. When you can’t be a celebrity, you can at least be special as a new gender/orientation. People just want to be liked and what better way to be liked than being special?

Also, I think the creation of new pronouns is a symptom of autism, youth and the internet. New words provide specific search terms. It allows people that see themselves this way to find each other.

It also allows them to create echo chambers where no one that is a friend that can tell them that they're being a bit silly.