Page 551 of 968 FirstFirst ... 537547549550551552553555565 ... LastLast
Results 5,501 to 5,510 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    I think it's a great idea to have a list on hand to remind me of basic things in meetings, like
    -allow people to finish talking before I start talking
    -keep pants on
    -don't spit on anyone
    -speak english
    -focus on work

It's a great productivity aid.
    A truly stellar coworker you are!

2. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    People only care about school shootings when it’s white kids. More teens die in Baltimore or Chicago in any given month than in a single shooting, but no one cares because they’re black.
    I know #trolling but you’re right to an extent. The other real kicker is most gun related deaths are suicides (60%!)

Mass shootings are a very small percentage of gun deaths. But, that’s not to say we should sit back and do nothing about them. I’d love to see policy that helped depressed people get the help they need, or for poor inner city areas to get their illegal gun trade situation under control (after solving poverty and joblessness.) but, the government isn’t going to do shit for either of those groups. If this all raises awareness and we can get bump stocks banned, that would be great.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

3. Like terrorism, school shootings have an outsized cultural impact above and beyond their statistical significance. That doesn't make them unimportant, but it makes them differently important.

I worry, though, that this could push for things that will make kids lives worse. A lot of people want police in schools right now, and I would be shocked if that didn't get more kids shot, tazed, or left with a criminal record rather than the sort of normal disciplinary action they've faced in the past.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Like, super really? I've never encountered anyone who has done what you're describing, so my initial reaction to that, were I an employer, would be to fire someone. I would not want to work with a person who needed to do that because, to me, that seems like they really don't care. In trying to give that behavior the benefit of the doubt, however, is it more common than my anecdata would make it seem? Am I being intolerant?
    Not to come to Andrews defence too much but he’s right about simple behavioural notes being a common aid in meetings or intense presentations likely to cause someone to get frazzled, anxious, or embarrassed. And the Pres is under the most intense scrutiny one CAN be during a presentation. That probably IS why Obama used a teleprompter so much (smart guy). Obama was also gifted with poise, which not all leaders are. It’s a simple management/coaching tip to write down values and remind yourself of contextual goals you might be prompted to forget if you’re in a negative situation.

That being said... "I hear you..." is pretty hilarious note.

Ironically "let people talk before I start talking" is a bullet point almost every woman in the workplace would want men to carry around with them to meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    differently important.
    Uhh that's not how importance works.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Trump's idea of arming teachers is batshit. What if an armed teacher flips the fuck out, or is mistaken for a shooter by police?
    An access badge entry system at the school doors may help.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Uhh that's not how importance works.
    Things can't be important for different reasons than other things? Come on, man.

7. If cops get frazzled and shoot kids holding water pistols, what do you think teachers will do?

8. Yeah, the teachers with guns idea is the single worst idea we’ve collectively had and subsequently pushed in a long, long time. The only thing that is going to happen with armed teachers is more needless deaths of students. And, suicides will def go up too. The whole “good guy with a gun stopping a bad guy with a gun” is some NRA myth. It doesn’t happen among a civilian population. Yeah, there are a couple of outliers, but usually introducing another gun to a tense scenario is a great way to get more people killed. I really think people believe that traumatic events are like movies, they happen in slow motion and everyone has time to act and look pretty for the camera. Hint: they don’t.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. Oh really?

Click for full size

CHECKMATE MILLENNIALS
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Not to come to Andrews defence too much but he’s right about simple behavioural notes being a common aid in meetings or intense presentations likely to cause someone to get frazzled, anxious, or embarrassed.
    Well that's why you don't let me be in charge of people.

It’s a simple management/coaching tip to write down values and remind yourself of contextual goals you might be prompted to forget if you’re in a negative situation.
    This is blowing my mind.

That said, since he's got the best words and is self-professed to be great under pressure, I'm not sure why Trump would need such things.