Page 671 of 968 FirstFirst ... 657667669670671672673675685 ... LastLast
Results 6,701 to 6,710 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    It’s a republic, and individuals don’t have representation in the federal government. Popular vote has nothing to do with the way it’s set up.
    You're going to have to elaborate because that's simply not true without more detail. The popular vote of the individuals determines who goes to represent them in federal government, except in presidential elections where it doesn't.

2. You might want to rethink what you just typed.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Joust would sell his first born to not lose to his adversaries
    No that is absolutely wrong. There is a large group of officials that DOES NOT EVEN WANT TO GOVERN AND IS PROVING IT ON A DAILY BASIS.

That has nothing to do with "adversaries". If you want to be some slackjawed dicksmoke working at a 7/11 doing fuck all, then have at it. If you want to be a leader, then start actually LEADING. Case in point:

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/sc...oss-2018-07-20
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 25 Jul 2018 at 10:54 PM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    You might want to rethink what you just typed.
    Just did. I'm still right.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    You're confusing the electoral college and the Senate dude. That is not how the electoral college works at all.

The electoral college assigns delegates based on population. Not all states get an equal number. The problem is that most states assign their delegates as a single bloc awarded to the winner of that state, essentially nullifying the minority vote in that state. This essentially exaggerates the influence of contested states, but it doesn't balance anything. The states that happen to be contested aren't by design, it's just where the boundaries of the states happen to fall based on population trends. It's meaningless.
    From what I understand not all states get an equal number by design — states with more population tend to get more delegates in general but it doesn't just outright scale with population. States with less % of the national population still get a guarantee of 3 or whatever. So this means states is a less population density still have their way of life and ideas represented on the larger national stage because their choice of delegate (should they win) has a modifier on it (Vermonts 3 delegates are worth 3x more per individual than New York's but New York still has more than 9). If I have the concept right that's still normalization from state to state because it caps densely packed population centres and curves up lesser packed populations. Else no one from Nebraska or Montana would ever have a say in their own affairs otherwise (and "who gives a fuck about those hicks" probably isn't a legitimate idea in spite of the outrage atm).

It's a bit strange it's winner-takes-all-delegates. If delegates were split up by local populate vote that MIGHT be a good compromise if local popular split differs from national popular split. If local regions have the same Dem/Rep split as the national split then that would just be a popular vote system. I suspect that it probably true—so it has to kind of be the way it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

6. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Have you thought this through or are you just repeating a talking point?
    I'm just repeating what I quoted before. There wouldn't have been this much outrage about the electoral collage if Hillary had won.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. Well hold up a second. Would they complain about the electoral college itself? No. They need that. It's essential for Republican victory. But they would find a nice loophole so they could complain about it. Something along the lines of it being illegitimate or corrupt or something else. Look to Jim Jordan's language when describing his reasoning for the Rosenstein articles as an example. Real quaint, Technically Correct™ loopholes.

8. Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    The popular vote of the individuals determines who goes to represent them in federal government, [and also] in presidential elections.
    There, I fixed it for you.

I think a lot of people forget we are 50 self governed states in a union similar to the EU.

The popular vote of the State* determines who the state votes for.

The state has X amount of votes 50% depending on population 50% equally.

*Kansas and Maine are exceptions which split their vote.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 26 Jul 2018 at 08:00 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I'm just repeating what I quoted before. There wouldn't have been this much outrage about the electoral collage if Hillary had won.
    People have railed against the electoral college for as long as I can remember. It's an antiquated system.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander
    It's essential for Republican victory
    This is pretty much true at this stage.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 26 Jul 2018 at 08:28 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    It's an antiquated system.
    What’s sad is this is true. The American population has become dumber, so we do need a dumber voting system their feeble minds can understand.