Page 840 of 968 FirstFirst ... 826836838839840841842844854 ... LastLast
Results 8,391 to 8,400 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. It's a shame he didn't preface the thought with "it's like if," clearly denoting a suppositional scenario.

2. I wish I understood the endless hope people like my mother in-law have. Like, they are continually let down by every single thing they do the "we got him" dance to, yet they keep getting excited with each development.

How does that work? Are we just broken?

It's a way to deal with abuse and trauma. It allows you to feel in control.

Like believing in conspiracies. Or blaming yourself for abuse. It's all a way to feel in control and reduce stress.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Wrong. People don’t like it when their players suck. They boo loudly and call for their trade. There’s a whole nomenclature around insulting players too. No one says Tom Brady sucks. They say “Fuck Tom Brady.” because he’s annoyingly good.
    Lord if we could only bring in the idea of trading and removing into modern politics and leave all this head in the sand crap behind.

You're not being completely honest though. They dont hate their players for sucking. They hate them for losing. People will defend their players for dog fighting, child abuse, spousal abuse, etc...if they are a winner.

Which is pretty much what we see with modern politics. You can sexually assault women and otherwise be a horrible person...so long as you beat the other team.

Which is political cancer because it's all the same team. There aren't really 2 teams. They have to work together to do a job. A single fucking job.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    It allows you to feel in control. ... It's all a way to feel in control and reduce stress.
    Interesting. This makes sense, yet it's odd that I hate not being in control but can't bring myself to find hope that "this one" is gonna be "the one" to get him. (Unless I suck at comprehending and you were referring to the being hopeless as a way to feel in control and reduce stress.)

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    People will defend their players for dog fighting, child abuse, spousal abuse, etc...if they are a winner.

Which is pretty much what we see with modern politics. You can sexually assault women and otherwise be a horrible person...so long as you beat the other team.
    I agree, though I have a legit Q: Was Kap a loser or the team losing when he was on it? Like, he fell off after the protest. So if he was a winner/the team was, I wonder why "patriotism" is the thing we won't defend even though we don't give a damn about spousal abuse and such.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I wish I understood the endless hope people like my mother in-law have. Like, they are continually let down by every single thing they do the "we got him" dance to, yet they keep getting excited with each development.

How does that work? Are we just broken?
    They do it purely as performance art for the ones they love. It’s their gift of exquisite schadenfreude.

also: guys, I found where Yoshi went.

"Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Although I never had any particular expectation that Trump would be removed by the Senate, I am really despairing at the extent to which almost nobody who supported Trump believes he did anything wrong.

It's like really an epistemic crisis. They just won't acknowledge reality, even when there's transcripts and testimony from hi own appointees and emails and call logs, they just say "There's no evidence." And if you ask "What about all this evidence" they say "Look it is just my opinion that there is no evidence."

I kind of feel like we as a species weren't designed to handle the information age and we're all just mentally retreating into whatever "truth" is emotionally comfortable and satisfying.

8. I keep saying, a certain percentage of people just want a king/pope/sheriff/daddy-whatthefuckever and can't operate if they aren't being given instructions from on-high.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

It's not that nobody believes it, it's that nobody cares.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    I keep saying, a certain percentage of people just want a king/pope/sheriff/daddy-whatthefuckever and can't operate if they aren't being given instructions from on-high.
    It's comforting to surrender control? I know people get off on it, but I guess it's more of a lifestyle thing than I was aware.

10. Serfs up!
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!