Page 482 of 968 FirstFirst ... 468478480481482483484486496 ... LastLast
Results 4,811 to 4,820 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    Did you just say two different things?
    I made two related statements, so...yes?

2. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    This isn't actually the case though. It's not male, female and other. It's male, female and 30+ others. To misgender someone (up in Canada anyway) there's a possibility that a Human Rights violation could be filed including fines, community service and all sorts of weird things. Lukcily the US has way more lax speech laws. It's much better, despite being an obvious feather in the cap of racists. The pro-pronoun team says... none of these are jail-able offences so no big deal. But what if you don't pay the fine? Uh oh. Sneaky. There's no reason why the law or any enforcement would be necessary since that's not how language works. Language evolves. We can say... don't use the term "tranny" or write in exceptions. But it's insane to have the state dictate or enforce language outside of its natural social progression. It's the difference between saying DON'T LITTER versus PICK UP ALL THE TRASH ON THE STREET YOU SEE. Compelled action is totalitarian at its roots.

The reason these pronouns aren't being adopted is because they have a user experience and heuristics problem. There's too many, and they go so far as to mix plural with singular (they). They're just poorly conceived and executed ideas and generally where the virtue of inclusion starts corrupting in to a sin.
    All that really needs to be said here, is stop listening to Jordan B. Peterson.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    But why would they “step aside”? What does that even mean? Why would an individual trying to make the most in life step aside on the basis of their race?

Identity politics gave licence to people to revert to being a person made up primarily of their ethnic group. It was inevitable some white people would do the same. These are pretty terrible ideas.

There are other very bad Marxist ideas in colleges too. But I don’t think any of these things survive well outside the walls of University stink tanks in the US. Not sure why an entire party would orient itself around this.
    I love how people see a few buzzfeed articles on a couple of outlier situations at harvard and equate it to all US colleges. We are asked on some forms and in some classes if we prefer he/him, she/her, or they/them. That's it. There are never students who demand "xir" or "fey" pronouns. In fact, I haven't even met a person who identified outwardly as "they." This whole delusion that college kids are just progressive Marxist shills who want to be polyamorous and multi-gendered and want to take away all our freedoms is a complete fantasy. There are far, far more kids in the colleges whose beliefs align with yours, Drew.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    But why would they “step aside”? What does that even mean?
    That's the point I was making. It doesn't make sense. I guess I didn't communicate that well. Classic Calliander™.

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I love how people see a few buzzfeed articles on a couple of outlier situations at harvard and equate it to all US colleges. We are asked on some forms and in some classes if we prefer he/him, she/her, or they/them. That's it. There are never students who demand "xir" or "fey" pronouns. In fact, I haven't even met a person who identified outwardly as "they."
    I'll say this - the Twitter writing community that I'm all wrapped up in now is just a bunch of profiles that read like:

"Cosplayer. Lover of fur babies. Hufflepuff. They/them. Writer of YA vampire romance."

5. Introduce me to those people.

Srsly tho when I meet someone who takes their twitter politics to the classroom I promise to let everyone know. Loudly!

6. One time I called an Arissa "Alissa." I promise you the punitive anger I caught for that was a million times harsher than any response, verbal or legal, any of us will ever get for misgendering someone once in any of our (real) lives. I swear to you.

You won't encounter pronoun outrage in the classroom or anywhere in real life for the same reason Finch (presumably) doesn't scream at anyone who walks past a FuRyu game without buying it that they have a bad heart at Target but he rightfully does it in here.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 14 Dec 2017 at 11:05 PM.

7. Exactly.

And wow, for serious? I mean, I just tell teachers and TAs to call me “Nas.” Easy for them, easy for me. I’m sure arissa over there has it real tough. *rolls eyes*

8. (I’ve always wondered how to correctly pronounce your name.)

9. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    In fact, I haven't even met a person who identified outwardly as "they."
    I have. My girlfriend is 24 and used to identify as lesbian, so she has a disproportionate amount of LGBT friends from college. I've met a number of people who prefer "they." But that's about the extent of it. They don't talk about there being 40 genders or any of this shit, they just don't really feel like the two main ones accurately describe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    (I’ve always wondered how to correctly pronounce your name.)
    Sat-soo-kee
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilMog View Post
    Screw being smart. This is TNL.