Page 753 of 968 FirstFirst ... 739749751752753754755757767 ... LastLast
Results 7,521 to 7,530 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Good read on politics in the south

http://bittersoutherner.com/from-the...lGKPLBNYx8fWAs

The 1% has always been here.

I wonder if the average non slave owning white defended slave owners as job creators? Even though it's been proven that slave owners would purchase goods and labor out of the community? Much like it's been proven corporations employ fewer people than small business?

Hmmm? I wonder just how old these defenses of aristocracy are?

3. Job creators? Slave owners drove the value of labor down so hard that it was devastating to those who didn't own slaves.

That is probably true across the board but I have a gut feeling rural Americans were not aware of that.

It's documented that most blue collar northerners hated slavery because slavers would win their jobs.

BUT, I'm betting that happened less in rural areas as slaves were actively kept ignorant and used for farming and other mass exports.

I'd bet a dollar the average rural white thought the slave owners were lifting the local economy up, instead of oppressing it.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I think cultural appropriation is a ridiculous thing to get upset about in a multicultural society, then I get upset every time I think about CCR being from Berkeley and never lived in Louisiana.
    It's like Lenny Kravitz singing American Woman. That's Canada's song for bashing the US. It makes no sense with an American singing it.

But yeah, complaining about cultural appropriation is generally bullshit and the opposite of progressive. I can understand not wanting to use a race of people as sports mascots but no one "owns" food or music or hair styles.

I could go for some bbq.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I think cultural appropriation is a ridiculous thing to get upset about in a multicultural society, then I get upset every time I think about CCR being from Berkeley and never lived in Louisiana.
    As per usual, the term “cultural appropriation” is an academic/theoretical term that has been co-opted by the internet to mean something else, and something negative. For instance, I’ve been studying mobile phone tech in sub Saharan Africa this quarter, and the usage of first world technology in a third world/developing country, and most of the literature refers to this diffusion as “cultural appropriation” - simply meaning a western technology being used by non-westerners. It doesn’t have any connotation past that, it’s not good or bad, but the cultural and economic results CAN indicate a shifting in values or even in a whole society. Sooooo I think the terminology is correct, but people automatically use it as a negative which is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

14 year Olds ruin everything

9. Gotta problematize 'em all.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    This started long before the 90s and the Mexican immigration boom. http://library.uwb.edu/Static/USimmi...stat%20874.pdf
    Politicians have been pushing the “zomg, whites will be a minority!!!!!” card for more than a century.

The idea of white privilege and the patriarchy existed long before the 90s, though that’s when some of it started getting pop culture lip service and people started paying attention. I’m not sure how correlations with anti-semitism play into it.

This is a continuation of a cycle that has existed in our history since its inception - none of this is new or different. People jump into action when they see that they can scapegoat their personal and structural failures on an Other, whether is be Jews, blacks, Mexicans, whatever. When the culture sanctions it via politics, it becomes easier to act violent or otherwise damaging. But this didn’t start with Trump or Clinton even.....this has been going on forever. America was never great etc.
    OK Billy Joel.

Trump’s Bulldog is off his leash... https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ociety-correct
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt