Page 678 of 968 FirstFirst ... 664674676677678679680682692 ... LastLast
Results 6,771 to 6,780 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    (I dont think anyone here voted Trump)
    TNL in a nutshell.

Click for full size
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. I can get behind the theoretical idea of having an internet based voting solution.

But to put it into practice with today's technology would be a logistical nightmare.

Our system isn't perfect, but you can't convince me that if people really wanted to vote- they could make it happen. We know months in advance when and where it happens, so travel arrangements and work day arrangements can be made. Mailing in a vote is an option. If certain areas of the country are trying to impede certain people's right to vote then that is most certainly something we as a country need to address.
    But all that changing the way we vote will do is make them come up with another way to discourage voting, it won't make them stop.

3. Tapping a candidate on your app would see higher voter turnout than physical voting booths. Though you’d have to offer both (funnily enough for accessibility, to satsukis point).
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

4. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    We are 1 state and have been since 1865.
    FTFY. If the states don't have the right to say "well it's been real, but this union isn't working out for us anymore, peace", how can they claim to be sovereign?

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

5. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Tapping a candidate on your app would see higher voter turnout than physical voting booths. Though you’d have to offer both (funnily enough for accessibility, to satsukis point).
    It absolutely would and we have evidence from countries that implement it. But yeah, we'd have to offer both for the time being.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

6. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Tapping a candidate on your app would see higher voter turnout than physical voting booths. Though you’d have to offer both (funnily enough for accessibility, to satsukis point).
    It absolutely would and we have evidence from countries that implement it. But yeah, we'd have to offer both for the time being.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I can get behind the theoretical idea of having an internet based voting solution.

But to put it into practice with today's technology would be a logistical nightmare.

Our system isn't perfect, but you can't convince me that if people really wanted to vote- they could make it happen. We know months in advance when and where it happens, so travel arrangements and work day arrangements can be made. Mailing in a vote is an option. If certain areas of the country are trying to impede certain people's right to vote then that is most certainly something we as a country need to address.
    But all that changing the way we vote will do is make them come up with another way to discourage voting, it won't make them stop.
    I wonder if this is an application where Blockchain could be actually useful for once.

“For once”

9. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I do mostly accessibility training and user research training these days. You’ll always have a need for voting booths for the economically disenfranchised and digitally impaired. But that’s okay — people can mostly vote online. The goal is broader participation after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

10. Right. I'm all for it, and it's gonna happen, so we may as well plan for it. I ended up using this discussion about online voting for an assignment I did yesterday, and theres some interesting data from Estonia about I-voting, since 30% of their population votes online. https://e-estonia.com/solutions/e-governance/i-voting/
    They actually have a far more advanced e-government system than we do, it's awesome. There's toonnnnssss of scholarly articles that deconstruct the I-voting process that occurred in that country, including a mess of stuff about transparency concerns. The blockchain/I-voting thing has been addressed too! https://www.economist.com/sites/defa...s/plymouth.pdf

I'm pretty jazzed that there's a lot of research being done, I hope it leads to a more accessible system for everyone.