Page 621 of 968 FirstFirst ... 607617619620621622623625635 ... LastLast
Results 6,201 to 6,210 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Oh yeah, in the real world, we're just stopping the exercises. They can be restarted like that, though. *snaps fingers*

2. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    ALSO, imagine how much jubilant crowing Team Democrat would be doing had Obama gotten to this point.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six-party_talks

(Yes, I know that isn't Obama. It's not the point.)
    This whole discussion is absurd. "WHAT IF NK DOES THE THING THAT THEY'VE NEVER DONE EVEN WHEN THEY HAD A GREAT CHANCE TO DO THE THING ALREADY" is this gist of this "Just give this a chance"

Give WHAT exactly a chance?

In other words,
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 12 Jun 2018 at 11:16 AM.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    (Yes, I know that isn't Obama. It's not the point.)
    Oh I know. Don't forget, Obama mentioned he'd talk with Kim (I can't recall if it was Il or Un at the moment) and the right went ape shit. I sadly don't remember what the Dems said but I'll bet they were hopeful it would amount to something. If he'd gotten to the point Trump is at now, there would have been head explosions all around. Traitor, etc.

... THE THING ALREADY" is this gist of this "Just give this a chance"...
    Forgive me, but I'm unable to infer what you mean here and/or my comprehension sucks at the moment.

4. Essentially, it's saying that yes, it is entirely possible that this event can be a good thing. But you can say that about anything ever. There is nothing to suggest it's the start of anything "good" because of

a) The fact that this is NK's MO
    b) Trump/the administration has proven countless times, up to and including this week, that he is incapable of reaching multinational agreements that are good for "the world"
    c) Trump threw out an Iran deal THAT ACTUALLY WORKED, complained about how bad it was, and we have this that has ZERO specifics, and all we know is that the US gave things up and we don't know what (if anything) NK gave up

So the "an event happened" means nothing. There's no "rooting against" the possibility of success (something that Drew was talking about weeks ago), it's more of "this is a stupid smokescreen and there's no good reason to believe anything to the contrary"
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 12 Jun 2018 at 02:06 PM.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Essentially, it's saying that yes, it is entirely possible that this event can be a good thing. But you can say that about anything ever. There is nothing to suggest it's the start of anything "good"
    Understood. We don't truly disagree. It probably won't be good. From my end, I can focus on that and get angry or be hopeful. I guess my childlike naïveté is somehow slowly returning? Like, when the rug inevitably gets pulled out, I already know how to deal with that. I'm not sure I know how to deal with something good happening, and especially if it's the "other team" achieving that good thing. (Not that I want to be lumped on a team anyway.)

6. Still skeptical. I hope we're not getting played.
    I don't think this alone will be enough to score Trump's 2nd term. The process of gaining better relations with NK will likely cross over into another presidency.

NBC News: Full text of the US-NK agreement

7. It'll stand. Annoying Orange brought back up!

8. 4 more years!
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Lock her up!

10. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    Oh I know. Don't forget, Obama mentioned he'd talk with Kim (I can't recall if it was Il or Un at the moment) and the right went ape shit. I sadly don't remember what the Dems said but I'll bet they were hopeful it would amount to something. If he'd gotten to the point Trump is at now, there would have been head explosions all around. Traitor, etc.
    Yeah, that's exactly what gets the Dems in such a tizzy. They don't not want peace talks, it's more that we just got done with eight years where anytime peace talks or a drawdown of hostilities were floated, backed by well-defined terms and timelines and oversight, Republicans caterwauled their faces off about those being the worst deals ever or traitorous to even consider. But now Daddy Warbucks goes over and gets nothing but vague, nondescript promises for our side while he tosses South Korean military backup overboard like it were Mardi Gras beads (without bothering to confirm if SK was okay with that), and whoooooaaaa what a dealmaker!

Plus, annoyingly papered over by the NK meeting seizing the newscycle is that he entered that conference by exiting another important conference by pissing all over the relations of countries we were previously on great terms with. So now we're on the outs with a bunch of our friends and some of our enemies are circling 'maybe' on the "Do you like me?" note we passed them, and everybody is shouting that that's progress?

'Double standard' doesn't even begin to describe the terms conservatives hold their opponents to versus the terms they hold themselves to, and that's the thing that rankles so much. Everything, everything that Trump does is something the right-wing media would (very successfully) latch on to like a pit bull if Dems did it... plenty that Dems themselves would likely condemn of their own volition and jettison members overboard for, with or without Reps screaming for them to do it. But Trump has entered some Bizarro quantum realm where the more he shits himself and scoots across the carpet, the less his party tries to stop him and the more people find it endearing. It's madness.
    Last edited by Bacon McShig; 12 Jun 2018 at 10:29 PM.