Page 632 of 968 FirstFirst ... 618628630631632633634636646 ... LastLast
Results 6,311 to 6,320 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    so it's kinda tough. everyone is racist, basically.
    This is closest to my personal outlook. Everyone is shitty and wants to feel better than anyone else. It take 30 seconds on any social media platform to see this in action.

2. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Is it the education that causes that, or the exposure to the 'other'?
    Exposure is less the point than peer interaction. The most racist areas are always the ones that are "hood adjacent," where people live near minorities, but separate from them. People who have very little exposure to minorities often show lower levels of bias, as do people who are well integrated with minorities. It's that in between where they're around but you don't "know" many personally that breeds the worst racism.

3. usually college throws you into a community where you're meeting and dealing with people and material that exposes you to a different way of how you grew up or at least what you consider "normal." Racism is usually born from the parents/guardians of an individual, though this has shifted a little bc of the internet. But that's sort of another, longer story. Anyway, you go to college, you meet a lot of different types of people and ideally lose individual racist tendencies. The Daily did a really fantastic episode about this, featuring the godson of David Duke. https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/22/p...rek-black.html He basically was this Hitler Youth wunderkid, and then went to college and realized that his family is fucking dumb. So to answer your question, it's both!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    This is closest to my personal outlook. Everyone is shitty and wants to feel better than anyone else. It take 30 seconds on any social media platform to see this in action.
    Even if you aren't engaging in individual attacks (this race is ____, or these people are ______,) if you are of the dominant traits desired in a society you're probably contributing to the oppression of someone else somewhere. This should absolutely not be solved by white guilt or virtue signaling (in the case of the USA, that is) but just of the recognition that you as an individual don't embody every experience and there's other people that experience different things than you do, etc.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Racism is usually born from the parents/guardians of an individual, though this has shifted a little bc of the internet.
    I'm not so sure about this. I don't think someone has to teach you to be racist. If there's a group that talks and acts differently that you, but who doesn't get humanized through more intimate personal relations, you're going to to develop a bias against them. It's just how our brains are built to see patterns, and if someone has only a certain kind of contact or only notices things that are different, those biases will be negative.

The cure to racism is integration, even more than education or anything else (though obviously, as you said, higher education often forces you into a more integrated environment). One of the biggest things propping up racism as an institution right now is the economic segregation of schools that often leads to a huge amount of defacto segregation in socialization from an early age.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Even if you aren't engaging in individual attacks (this race is ____, or these people are ______,) if you are of the dominant traits desired in a society you're probably contributing to the oppression of someone else somewhere. This should absolutely not be solved by white guilt or virtue signaling (in the case of the USA, that is) but just of the recognition that you as an individual don't embody every experience and there's other people that experience different things than you do, etc.

To what end, though? How does self-flagellation help someone else's self image, and to what extent is anyone responsible for someone else's good time? You can acknowledge privilege (or *endlessly volunteer* that acknowledgement), but so the fuck what? Results are not guaranteed regardless of your accidental background.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 22 Jun 2018 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I'm not so sure about this. I don't think someone has to teach you to be racist. If there's a group that talks and acts differently that you, but who doesn't get humanized through more intimate personal relations, you're going to to develop a bias against them. It's just how our brains are built to see patterns, and if someone has only a certain kind of contact or only notices things that are different, those biases will be negative.

The cure to racism is integration, even more than education or anything else (though obviously, as you said, higher education often forces you into a more integrated environment). One of the biggest things propping up racism as an institution right now is the economic segregation of schools that often leads to a huge amount of defacto segregation in socialization from an early age.
    You're right - i should have said "childhood experiences" rather than parent/guardian. That includes segregated neighborhoods, schools etc.

Yeller - I said self-flagellation is *not* the key here, but the recognition that one's own experience (class, race, gender) does not mean that they should be the authority on all experiences.

8. As politics have become more tied to race, the more political you are, the more racist you are. The 1% may or may not be racist, but they certainly saw dividing the 99% up by race and drawing spurious conclusions around race as a successful path to divert attention away from OWS and let the 99% see each other as their oppressors.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

9. When doc says "the 1%" he doesn't mean economic elites, he means the Jews.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    Yeller - I said self-flagellation is *not* the key here, but the recognition that one's own experience (class, race, gender) does not mean that they should be the authority on all experiences.
    There's always going to be a battle between perspective and humility, I'm not sure humility wins most of the time on any side. How do we override that? It's not 'let's just make sure everybody is humble', nobody can really steer the conversation like that. 'How to trip someone's empathy in a power imbalance' might be the right MO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!