Page 14 of 968 FirstFirst ... 1012131415161828 ... LastLast

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. It wasn't a smattering of audience members, it was pretty bad.

I've found that if I want to convince someone to see things my way, booing them for existing makes it a much harder climb.
    Quote Originally Posted by C.S. Lewis
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

2. I don't understand how anyone is interpreting Pence's attendance of an exclusive, fashionable, upper-class shibboleth show as some kind of mea culpa or gay reach-out program.

3. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    It wasn't a smattering of audience members, it was pretty bad.

I've found that if I want to convince someone to see things my way, booing them for existing makes it a much harder climb.
    But it's not the Hamilton cast's fault, and Trump acknowledging it as such is weird and incorrect.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

4. Then why not engage in that dialogue instead of booing and yelling like they very lower class you make fun of?

It's not that hard to understand.

Pence goes to see a play made for and by people who disagree with him? This is an opportunity to influence him. Will you influence him for good with well articulated arguments and emotionally moving theater? Or influence him for bad by yelling, expressing he is nothing but an enemy, and shutting down the conversation?

Let's say Kaine went to see the opening for Hillary's America and the audience booed him until he left. Trump would still win because no conversation was had, the Hatfields and McCoys would still fued.

But what if the audience engaged him with their concerns about unemployment, health care costs, being ignored, vilified, etc. If a civil conversation was had, that audience and everyone reading the article could sympathize with each other and perhaps then Hillary could have won.

That is the rub. We want to fued. We only want to concern ourselves with our own values. Mike Pence didn't. He went to see Hamilton. It's one show, but if he was greeted with love, maybe he would be more inclined to see more, listen more, not be so hard headed.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 19 Nov 2016 at 01:54 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I don't understand how anyone is interpreting Pence's attendance of an exclusive, fashionable, upper-class shibboleth show as some kind of mea culpa or gay reach-out program.
    Every adjective you used is synonymous with limousine liberals, and he just stepped into the viper den. I don't see it as a mea culpa, but maybe he's more open-minded than the chattering class are willing to grant? I know that doesn't serve the prevailing narrative to the contrary, but I think it's only fair to at least consider the possibility.
    Last edited by Andrew; 19 Nov 2016 at 01:57 PM.
    Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

6. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I don't understand how anyone is interpreting Pence's attendance of an exclusive, fashionable, upper-class shibboleth show as some kind of mea culpa or gay reach-out program.
    Because you are in the hot bath and it feels normal. /pol/ is in the cold bath and it feels normal. No one wants to try the other bath.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    But it's not the Hamilton cast's fault, and Trump acknowledging it as such is weird and incorrect.
    No, you're right. I don't think the cast did anything out of line. They even waited until the end of the show so Pence wouldn't have to sit through the whole thing feeling awkward. It's the audience that was littered with shitheads.

As for Trump's twitter response, that was about one thing and one thing alone: bumping the Trump University settlement out of the news. And it worked. Again.

8. Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. LOL

10. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    No, you're right. I don't think the cast did anything out of line. They even waited until the end of the show so Pence wouldn't have to sit through the whole thing feeling awkward. It's the audience that was littered with shitheads.

As for Trump's twitter response, that was about one thing and one thing alone: bumping the Trump University settlement out of the news. And it worked. Again.
    There's nothing out of line about booing a piece of shit who thinks you can electrocute people straight. Fuck him.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.