Page 584 of 968 FirstFirst ... 570580582583584585586588598 ... LastLast
Results 5,831 to 5,840 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    well why doesnt your logic carry over to traffic enforcement? Why do I have to be stopped at night, blinded by a flashlight, questioned about my comings and goings because a small percentage of people drive drunk at night? Why do people have to have so much of their privacy violated when they want to board a plane just because a very small percentage of people may hijack it or blow it up? Why do I have to have my ID scanned when I buy allergy medicine just because a small percentage of people are buying it to make meth? I asked all this before and no one had an answer. We the People legislate shit all the time to protect the majority from a minority while infringing upon the majority’s rights.
    I'm fine with getting rid of all that. I'm not convinced it stops anything. It just seems like a way to generate money for whatever department, instead of just taking it out of taxes. Or maybe, more money on top of taxes.

You want to fix the big number. Great. But your big number necessitates faaarrrr more effort and thought.
    That seems to be the way of it. Most things worth doing aren't easy. Just about everything in history, was hard. Or an accident. Most easy things destroy us in one way or another.

But while you are working on your big number, why cant’t we do some shit to fix the easier, smaller number. Mass shootings arent typically tied to poverty, racism, or the black market culture the typical Chicago shooting is tied to. It’s usually some mentally ill person legally obtaining devices capable of doing a lot of damage in a little time. Wasn’t it you that asked why they dont do something easier like home made bombs? They don’t because they don’t have to. Maybe if we get rid of the machine guns some people will go that route. We’ll have to cross that bridge when we get to it.
    Why? Because it isn't worth it to me. My gain to loss ratio is different than yours. The whole debate around the "easy thing" hinges on that. One part of American culture would lose aspects of their culture. Or fear for that (maybe they would lose less than they think. Politicians inflate that fear for votes). The other half has nothing to lose. Its not part of their life. So it seems like an obvious win win. They don't get why those stupid "others" don't see the win win. (And they probably won't gain as much as they think. But their politicians too, inflate the gains for votes).

What we propose are band aids. I don’t think anyone disagrees over that. But you’re like, fuck your band aid, I will continue to bleed out until I find a miracle that will heal me instantly. No one is saying “let’s stop the white kids from getting killed at school and everything will be great. Mission accomplished!” At least no one I listen to is. Again, it’s like people expect someone to take a block of marble and be able to turn it into David by striking a single blow, instead of slowly chipping away at it over time.
    I don't see the issues of mass shootings, suicide, and gun related crime being related. IMO they are all separate issues with separate causes and fixes. Frankly, I think you could ban the fucking shit out of AKs and it would have little impact. You might save 50 lives. Or not, maybe pressure cooker bombs will take their place. We don't know. But you will change the lives of 42% of America to do it, and possible destroy millions upon millions of $$$ in personal property.

But this isn't new. America has always been battling these kinds of battles. It was ok to fuck the Indians because it wasn't "our" culture. They were savages and wrong. Same with the Japanese that we put in camps. And the same with black people. And Mexicans. And the south looking at the north and the north looking at the south. When its not your culture, and you're not being impacted, its an easy choice. Fuck em, make it so.

2. Then why not address mental health? Identify potential attackers and rehabilitate them?

If by machine gun, you mean the civilian, semi-automatic AR-15. We baned that from 1996 to 2006 and mass shootings did not go down. They have gone up since, but if we ban them again why would they go down this time when they didn’t last time? Will praying to Gun Comtrol Jesus work better this time?

When did mass shooting go down? Post 9-11.

This is a behavioral issue and not a material issue, so why would material legislation effect it and what evidence is there that ever worked?

https://www.cato.org/blog/are-mass-s...-more-frequent
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 28 Mar 2018 at 08:31 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

People just want to do something. Thats a personality type. Some people, even if it does nothing, even if it makes things worse, want to do something. They can't deal with the fear, or the uneasiness. Doing something makes them feel like they are in control. It's a way to cope.

And while we're posting graphs, lets look at this map from wiki

This is a big part of the debate. It just isn't rural people's problem. People are trying to sell them on making changes. Of fixes. They have no problem to fix. From their perspective, thats a city problem. Or a North East Problem. Or a West Coast problem.

Like I said, one group has something to lose and one has to gain. If you look at California, they have some peace at night to gain. But someone in Idaho won't gain shit. They're going to lose something. They already sleep fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fe 26; 28 Mar 2018 at 08:44 PM.

4. How will I change the lives of 42% of America? You’re telling me 2 of 5 people have ar 15s and the like. I dont think that can possibly be true.

42% of American homes have guns. Sure, yes, not all of them have AKs. But you would be taking that option away.

6. That would be a devastating blow to their rich and storied culture, you see.

It is what it is. Mocking it doesn't make you right. We've poked at minority cultures for ages but that doesn't make their background bad.

8. Why live in a society where you can’t trust each other with inanimate objects?
    Why trust a government who can’t trust you?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Why trust a government with them that is made up of normal people, if not substandard people?

Why trust the police to have them when they murder an abnormally high number of minorities and dogs?

10. Because minorities and dogs are third world and we only care about first world problems.