Page 483 of 968 FirstFirst ... 469479481482483484485487497 ... LastLast
Results 4,821 to 4,830 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. One of Trump's judicial nominees - a man seeking a LIFETIME appointment to the bench - being questioned by Republican Senator John Kennedy yesterday. It does not go well.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

2. Quote Originally Posted by GohanX View Post
    Sat-soo-kee
    I was going to “in before...” too gaddanit.

3. p.s, sat-ski

goddammit

5. Nasty Nas.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I love how people see a few buzzfeed articles on a couple of outlier situations at harvard and equate it to all US colleges. We are asked on some forms and in some classes if we prefer he/him, she/her, or they/them. That's it. There are never students who demand "xir" or "fey" pronouns. In fact, I haven't even met a person who identified outwardly as "they." This whole delusion that college kids are just progressive Marxist shills who want to be polyamorous and multi-gendered and want to take away all our freedoms is a complete fantasy. There are far, far more kids in the colleges whose beliefs align with yours, Drew.
    I know. That was my entire point. In the exact post you quoted. In America these ideas are held by a few on campuses so why orient an entire party against that?

That being said I now have people here talking out of both sides of their mouth. “Oh it’s not a thing in Ontario” “Except at work where you are compelled to use it”.

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The law only punishes people for using mis-gendering as a form of harassment in the workplace or public institutions. Nobody can be forced to use made up gibberish words.
    1) If it is required anywhere it is compelled. What is your logic otherwise? It seems to be “only at work” which still makes the compulsion issue true

2) Nowhere in the vague language of the bill is it codified that gender pronouns are explicitly limited to “they”. If someone is offended by a pronoun they can lodge a complaint. It doesn’t matter if it’s he/she/they/xir/your majesty. It’s a very simple mechanism.

3) The Ontario Human Rights Tribunal does law enforcement around exactly these types of things. It’s the whole reason they exist as a government body. Usually it’s for racial discrimination and they typically issue fines or levies to individuals or businesses.

I personally do not have an issue with calling someone a pronoun if it were a request between myself and an individual. Gov’t shouldn’t be enforcing language that is largely socially driven. To me it’s the difference between not saying the n-word and the language changing from what’s broadly acceptable (from negro, to coloured, to black, to African American, back to black etc.)

7. If you use someone's gender identity as a basis for discrimination, it's illegal. If you mock or harass someone at work who is transgender by deliberately calling them the opposite of what they identify as, you get in trouble. This is limited to male, female, and neutral pronouns, because they're in the fucking languages we speak. Nobody is compelled to use weird made up pronouns that are not actual words in our official languages. The law being vague is a problem, but that's why we have courts.

Are you upset that you can't call black men 'boy' at work?
    Last edited by kedawa; 15 Dec 2017 at 09:45 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Are you upset that you can't call black men 'boy' at work?
    We can't?

9. So are there any examples of this happening so far

Because it always sounded like bullshit to me