Page 623 of 968 FirstFirst ... 609619621622623624625627637 ... LastLast
Results 6,221 to 6,230 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    So the joke was at the expense of the subject, rather than with it. And that isn’t right, sort of like picking on a disabled person or anyone not in on the joke. But joke or not the experiment was brilliant. Very explicitly they wanted to create the most neutral message possible, from the words to the font, and like a Rorschach test, watch the public turn it negative. From there they executed it overnight it an amazingly coordinated effort. It’s sociology in street art and flash mobs.

EDIT: it’s nothing more than an extension to this.
    lol no it’s actually the opposite of sociology - and there’s no way it can be a viable experiment without some sort of cohesive hypothesis and conditions that could be replicated. Yes, the flyer can be posted all over - and it was - but at that point everyone knew it came from 4chan and the_donald so the point of anonymity fell totally flat. The problem with a bunch of white guys claiming that they are “conducting a mass experiment” is that it’s the professor Frink version of science: it sounds plausible to casual observers, but it’s nonsensical entertainment done in an uncontrolled environment with no viable data. Hanging flyers that say “it’s ok to be white” in a “neutral font” (wtf is a neutral font?) and then claiming a leftist groupthink took it to the worst case scenario is such a lame conclusion that I can’t even believe people consider it revelatory.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

2. I also call bullshit on their claim that they didn't believe it, it was just a troll. A large percentage of 4chan is made up of racist, sexist manbabies who hide behind a claim of just "trolling"
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. LOL, like I said it was a Rorschach test. How much prejudice does the public apply to what they read?

And yes, even the font was debated. In the age of the internet, using a font someone else used in something else could be interpreted as conveying support for that message. Same with design. It had to centered and kerned evenly, completely designless, because even the design could be interpreted as having meaning and this had to be 100% neutral.

It’s amazing how successful it was. Not just how every news outlet picked it up, but how much prejudice was applied to it. They essentially handed out the color grey and everyone saw it and blue or yellow.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 14 Jun 2018 at 11:14 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

4. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I also call bullshit on their claim that they didn't believe it, it was just a troll.
    Didn't believe what?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    LOL, like I said it was a Rorschach test. How much prejudice does the public apply to what they read?

And yes, even the font was debated. In the age of the internet, using a font someone else used in something else could be interpreted as conveying support for that message. Same with design. It had to centered and kerned evenly, completely designless, because even the design could be interpreted as having meaning and this had to be 100% neutral.

It’s amazing how successful it was. Not just how every news outlet picked it up, but how much prejudice was applied to it. They essentially handed out the color grey and everyone saw it and blue or yellow.
    If the color grey is a loaded color, how can it be neutral tho? it’s like calling someone the n-word and saying “I don’t know why this bothers you, it’s just a word!” It’s ignoring everything that is happening in American culture at that point - it’s not a binary yes or no thing. They posted it on college campuses, not a Walmart, or a car dealership, or a homeless shelter. If they didn’t PLAN for an inflammatory response, they would not have stuck it in institutions that are known to react when faced with racist ideology. It’s not a Rorschach’s of anything except how insulated and dumb 4chan has become.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

6. That’s it though. Prejudice is what loads grey, or an innocuous message, with extrinsic values. Of course they placed them in colleges to prove the hypothesis “To what degree is higher education prejudice?”

It’s like a white balance being off on a camera, if you see everything in the world yellow and grey is put into frame, it appears blue, because your brain has adjusted yellow to white. And if you see everything blue, grey would be yellow. The dress was an amazing metaphor for our approach to politics. And this sign was more direct approach to that dress argument. Of course, trolls wanted to use the sign to enrage their political opponents and white nationalists* wanted to use the drama to feel validated. But, the design and original intent was to question just how off is the balance of the lens of the educational power structure?

Of course every element of our society is off balance, but you would expect education to be neutral.

Edit: I used nationalist vs supremacist, because why would a supremacist rally behind a campaign promoting equality?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 14 Jun 2018 at 01:43 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. That’s why I say the right is producing the best art now. It’s innovative, thoughtful, and highly effective.

But really it’s anonymous. At it’s heart, /pol/ is neither right nor left, they are only targeting the left because it’s the new, larger Scientology - a group of like minded people with shared values which they have never challenged.

And now that the Democrats have decayed, you see a larger percentage of anonymous attacking right talking points. If GOP retains or gains more control of the congress and EU offices, you’ll see more of that. Because at it’s heart, anon will always be the counterculture. It just sucks for us old people who’ve become the culture and set in our ways.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    That’s why I say the right is producing the best art now. It’s innovative, thoughtful, and highly effective.

But really it’s anonymous. At it’s heart, /pol/ is neither right nor left, they are only targeting the left because it’s the new, larger Scientology - a group of like minded people with shared values which they have never challenged.
    This is the most delusional shit that has ever been posted on TNL.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Is it though? Is it really?

10. It really is. And this is a forum where Andrew claimed his Robobo comic was good.
    Last edited by bbobb; 14 Jun 2018 at 03:45 PM.