Page 578 of 968 FirstFirst ... 564574576577578579580582592 ... LastLast
Results 5,771 to 5,780 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. What I like is that if everyone that bitched about the NRA buying votes each threw a few dollars in a pot, there'd be plenty of money to outspend them. But instead everyone keeps their money in their wallets and just continues to bitch. The NRA isn't that big of an organization. The money it spends relatively isn't that much. But here we are. Talk talk talk, no action.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    What I like is that if everyone that bitched about the NRA buying votes each threw a few dollars in a pot, there'd be plenty of money to outspend them. But instead everyone keeps their money in their wallets and just continues to bitch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    "My vote doesn't matter anyway," mentality
    It's a vicious cycle.

(FWIW I donate to campaigns of candidates who receive low NRA ratings. You're totally right though.)

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I Korian'ed his ass sometime long enough ago that I don't recall.

Exactly. And again I say, people on both sides of the argument need to realize that there's a common point they both make: America is unique in this regard.

Liberals usually phrase it as, "This doesn't happen anywhere else."
    Conservatives usually phrase it with stats about our population/gun laws in various places.

But it's still the same point. There are pieces of action that can be taken, but nobody wants to acknowledge that they're talking about the same thing and find those actions.

Why would anyone live here now? This country is pretty shitty and nobody wants to make it less shitty, least of all the people who claim they want to make it great again. Being able to own firearms doesn't change that.

These kids from Florida and whatnot are real nice to see but all the optimism and marching and calls to vote will fade, to be replaced by the jaded, "My vote doesn't matter anyway," mentality soon enough once the NRA pays their way to legislative inaction. It's what this country does best: Let its citizens down.

(EDIT: I'm operating on the assumption that you're asking what would make someone want to come here now. At the end of the day, America isn't great but it's better than X.)
    Is it better than x? How is it better than france, england, germany, Ireland, weederdam, etc? What is exactly better about it? What would be better if it fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    What I like is that if everyone that bitched about the NRA buying votes each threw a few dollars in a pot, there'd be plenty of money to outspend them. But instead everyone keeps their money in their wallets and just continues to bitch. The NRA isn't that big of an organization. The money it spends relatively isn't that much. But here we are. Talk talk talk, no action.
    I don't donate money because I don't believe in the people leading the changes. They are either half ass, racist or too extreme. Bernie was the only one I can think of that admitted rural and city Americans needed different gun laws because of the differences in gun culture. And how far did he get?

And what if we'd gotten hillary? A repeat of the assault weapon ban? Random sized clips? But nothing to lower the majority of gun deaths in this country? (Handguns)

So I can pick between an outsider that gets nothing done and old white racist woman from Arkansas. Wonderful. Let me get my checkbook.

5. Don't forget about our congressmen, who take your money to get elected and then spend all of their time trying to get more of your money to get re-elected.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Is it better than x? How is it better than france, england, germany, Ireland, weederdam, etc? What is exactly better about it? What would be better if it fixed?
    All good questions. Honestly, if my wife and I could find a way to dissociate from our families and friends, we'd be in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Bernie was the only one I can think of that admitted rural and city Americans needed different gun laws because of the differences in gun culture. And how far did he get?
    But he ran against Killary.

7. Here's some fodder for you, Fe. Though those of us who want to ban AR-15's will be perfectly ok with banning handguns, as well, so I'm not sure it helps your point that much (I personally am indifferent to gun control, even though symbolically guns are one of the strongest icons of individual freedoms in western civilization).
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 26 Mar 2018 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

The gun is the symbol of the frontier. Ban them and you're admitting the idea of America is dead.

9. or you’re admitting the frontier is dead, which aside from protected national land, it is.

10. I'm good with that.