Page 636 of 968 FirstFirst ... 622632634635636637638640650 ... LastLast
Results 6,351 to 6,360 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Refusing service because someone is a piece of shit isn’t the same as refusing service to someone in a discriminatory fashion.
    That’s exactly what discrimination is. Didn’t you teach, English?

recognition and understanding of the difference between one thing and another.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. It's discrimination to choose a steak over a hamburger for dinner, it's all in how you apply it that makes it good or bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. I hope this starts happening everywhere.

Also more good news

http://thehill.com/homenews/administ...mpression=true

womp womp motherfuckers
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 24 Jun 2018 at 10:29 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    See, both Cal's and bbobb's posts were the exact things I was thinking about - and two of the arguments I see on social media the most!
    It's internally inconsistent to deny someone service because of something other than their behavioural conduct in the restaurant. Restaurants have an open door policy and invitation to service. Anything otherwise is just saying "You can discriminate, but only on the grounds that I deem important". If you support an individual restauranteur kicking people out on the premise of their beliefs or identity then that power should be absolute. The ultimate play out of this an infinitely fractured society cut along dozens of arbitrary differences amongst people.

I'd prefer it if they just made someone their order, served them, and moved on with their life. It's one thing to disagree with someone, it's another to treat them with such hostility as to deny a drink or meal. That's pretty shitty (and always has been). If you're really ballsy then tell them you don't support their administration and what they stand for while serving them.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    It's discrimination to choose a steak over a hamburger for dinner, it's all in how you apply it that makes it good or bad.
    Discrimination is being of an unjust imposition of difference where none is deserved. Discernment is the perceptive recognition of non-obvious underlying truth—you were hungry for a hamburger because you haven't had one in awhile, or just like it better than steak.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 24 Jun 2018 at 11:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

5. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Refusing service because someone is a piece of shit isn’t the same as refusing service to someone in a discriminatory fashion.
    It doesn't matter that they aren't the same. Someone being black and someone being queer isn't the same. The denial of service because reasons - regardless the parity (or otherwise) of those reasons - is contrary to the idea of a public-serving establishment. Before you get your panties in a bunch, hold on, see below.

That said:

Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    I feel like if it were me and my business, I wouldn't refuse to serve someone unless they were being unreasonable (making a commotion or violent/directly confrontational.)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    It's internally inconsistent to deny someone service because of something other than their behavioural conduct in the restaurant.
    Public establishments do reserve the right to deny service. In a normal society, I don't see why there need to be laws about it, or have to set precedent with lawsuits. Jill's Bakery, a public establishment, exercises their right to refuse service to a gay couple, let that couple sue. That couple should win. Jack's Bakery, also a public establishment, kicks out a person being abusive to the staff, let that person sue. That person should lose.

The problem that draws upon bbobb's thing is that, while what I just wrote is 100% reasonable and fair, courts won't decide that way every time. The "deeply held beliefs" justification is bullshit because if someone really cared about those beliefs more than they cared about money they would not run their businesses. Yet, we allow it to sway opinions.

You're probably tired of seeing me say it, but "deeply held beliefs" is a disingenuous defense for bullies so they can keep bullying people. It all comes back to jerkasses who get their rocks off on making other people feel bad, no matter how they dress it up.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    So a corporate suit who uses Chinese slave labor is upset Trump is making his foreign slaves more expensive and is seeking help from the Democrats in getting his slaves back? It’s 1856 all over again.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

7. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    You're probably tired of seeing me say it, but "deeply held beliefs" is a disingenuous defense for bullies so they can keep bullying people. It all comes back to jerkasses who get their rocks off on making other people feel bad, no matter how they dress it up.
    Is the opposite not bullying? If you force someone who doesn’t like your actions to serve you, is that not harassment? If Bill Cosby and Donald Trump walked into every feminist bookstore and nail spa in Philly, drinking their fucking bellinis, demanding manis & pedis, is demanding that service their right?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 24 Jun 2018 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    It's not even a matter of forgiving him, really. I've embedded myself in some conservative circles and even people who seem fairly reasonable eventually say something along the lines of, "At the end of the day, he really gets under the skin of the libs. That's what matters to me."

They've given up. They are below rock bottom. There's nothing to forgive - because Rachel Maddow cried on television. That's why the thing from SSJN that I quoted is important. There's isn't a pace slow enough to introduce change. The "crazy reactionaries" were already jerks, and will continue to be jerks. There's no reasoning with them. There's no listening to their side. They aren't going to come around. They're done.

I don't get into arguments with them in real life (or the occasional Twitter moron). Not because of some misguided perception about civility, but because I'm not changing anyone's mind.
    This comes back to what I've said about modern politics. Its all sports for the right. It's Sportspolitik. Its ok if the QB beats his wife if he brings home the gold.

And sportspolitik is one of the single most cancerous things for our government. If one side wins everything, we all lose. Government doesn't work like a sport. We aren't going to get a big cash reward in the mail if our side wins. We need functional compromises that allow me to drive tanks and little kids to get medical care, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    "I have a deeply held belief that it is ok to pummel dweebs"

10. I’ve kicked 2 tables out of a restaurant before. One was because I heard the man saying “faggot” with a bunch of hate behind it, and the second was because they made the server so tense she came in the back and cried a little. In both instances I simply told the tables that their meal was on the house, and that they had to leave. Both got indignant and fought it, but I said it’s my restaurant, and I don’t want that kind of negativity in it.
    Boo, Hiss.