Page 518 of 968 FirstFirst ... 504514516517518519520522532 ... LastLast
Results 5,171 to 5,180 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Centre depends entirely on your own beliefs and values. That’s why people don’t usually fit 100% in with one party. I believe in free market economics with controls for those who lose the game one too many times.

The US’ approach to the protection of free speech as a critical virtue (even though it can be abused) is pretty amazing too. What other country has it like they do?

I like that the founding fathers didn’t base their dream on a utopian equality fantasy.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 15 Jan 2018 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    Centre depends entirely on your own beliefs and values.
    Not really.

Though it tends to be something seen in hindsight. But you don't get to just make up whatever shit you want to believe and then say you're centre.

Well, I guess you could if you were a child that thought everyone revolved around you.

3. Center goddammit. This is an American board.

HOT DOGS, YEAH
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post

The US’ approach to the protection of free speech as a critical virtue (even though it can be abused) is pretty amazing too. What other country has it like they do?
    We don't really have free speech. American free speech ends where the average number of people feel bad about something. Like really, look up obscenity laws.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    grass is greener and all that.

And when nowhere has greener grass, you lament the "good old days" that probably never existed.
    In the good old days you'd type "olé."
    Those days existed.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Not really.

Though it tends to be something seen in hindsight. But you don't get to just make up whatever shit you want to believe and then say you're centre.

Well, I guess you could if you were a child that thought everyone revolved around you.
    Depends on the State from what I understand... which is acceptable IMO. Largely, though, I think language should be a social concern minus a few racist terms and inciting violence publicly. Even that last one I could go either way on.

Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    Center goddammit. This is an American board.

HOT DOGS, YEAH
    We spell things correctly in Canada. That's one of the things the US could do without. Also the metrics system. Use it.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

7. Have you ever had a fellow Canadian tell you their height or weight using metric? I haven't. Not once.

8. No, but I have when ordering lumber or judging how far a roadtrip would take.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    Have you ever had a fellow Canadian tell you their height or weight using metric? I haven't. Not once.
    That's just because we've been continually exposed to the cultural exports of America. If you grew up watching the NFL you see people as being 6'2 or and 300 pounds or whatever. Same as baseball and the NBA. Add to that the fact that you don't use those measurements all the time, so when someone asks you the metric stuff isn't immediately on hand.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
    No, but I have when ordering lumber
    That's odd. Most building supplies are still measured and priced in imperial units. Plywood and drywall are sold in 4'x8' sheets, structural beams are sized in 2" intervals of width and depth and sold by the foot, electrical conduits and fittings are sized by the half inch, etc.
    It's weird seeing imperial measurements outside of trades, though.