Page 894 of 968 FirstFirst ... 880890892893894895896898908 ... LastLast
Results 8,931 to 8,940 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    Precisely because the word genocide describes killings that are by design and not incompetence. That's what genocide means. Years ago when crafting language we said "what should we call it when people purposefully kill a specific group of people in mass?" and someone said, lets call that a genocide. Going top shelf with your words all the time makes them lose all meaning. Calling anyone who kills anyone else a murderer, is wrong. People who commit murder are murders. People who commit manslaughter are not murders. If you are a bus driver, and you fall asleep behind the wheel and kill everyone on board you are not a serial killer, even though your body count might be higher.

Is a guy with $900 Million crazy super ultra mega rich? Oh my god yeah. From my view point there's no difference between him and Bill Gates in terms of power and quality of life, no measurable difference anyway. They will both never worry about money. Is the guy with $900 Million a Billionaire? No. The word billionaire means you have billions of dollars, not a lot of dollars. We should maybe strive to not to be so hyperbolic with our word choices.
    I get your position. But it’s just much more useful to conflate the “mass killing of a certain people by design” with “mass killing of a certain people by incompetence”. I think expanding the definition is good. The definition distinction of murder from manslaughter is there largely for legal prosecution. At the scale of a genocide I don’t think minute legal definition is necessary.

Let my put it a thought to you in more constructive terms then: what is a more appropriate term than genocide to describe the death of thousands of a specific group that could have been avoided?

I largely don’t think the distinction matters. And yes Italy, UK, Iran, and Spain’s leadership likewise could be accused of exacerbating a genocide. Sure why not.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 07 May 2020 at 06:54 PM.

2. I think for the first time in our history we're in a position where science and the intelligence community could have given us the head start and information we need to stop this pandemic, that's a unique situation that has never happened in our history.

If anything we need to coin the manslaughter equivalent of Genocide.

Genoslaughter.

3. Sounds like semantics.

How many people have died from not having health care here? Anyone see any progress on that one?

Governors take most of the blame on this one. Cuomo did not shut down NY until late and his citizen's paid the price.

Unless i missed the part where trump mandated they stay open. States that have competent governors, hello Oregon, don't seem to have a lot of federal beef.

4. That liberals lamented Cuomo not being a presidential candidate while he watched his state turn into Mad Max is perplexing. Plenty of other blue states had much better responses. Why the gushing?

5. Because he isn't trump. Aka he's blameless.

6. BLUE NO MATTER WHO! DEFEAT THE CHEETO!
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

7. Why not "blue no matter who the fuck am i and where is my onion belt and i saw cornpop 2020"?

8. That works as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

9. Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Lol.

I'd say both sides are evil when they're willing to sacrifice people for political gain. The side with the majority does it while the minority gives a weak "tsk, tsk" from the sidelines. That people put up with this shit constantly shows that they're never going to support a third party candidate. The same thing happens to a degree here. People took to the streets to protest the governor, forcing him to resign. When I asked how getting rid one one man made a difference when his party controls EVERYTHING, people just went "durr" and kept yelling. Now that he's been replaced, those same dumbasses are all shocked Pikachu that nothing's changed. It's an era of collective stupidity.
    Sounds like Mexico. They run one corrupt president out of office, only to replace him with another corrupt president.

Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    I think for the first time in our history we're in a position where science and the intelligence community could have given us the head start and information we need to stop this pandemic, that's a unique situation that has never happened in our history.

If anything we need to coin the manslaughter equivalent of Genocide.

Genoslaughter.
    They could have probably stopped it by turning on tracking on everyone's phone, pulled in credit card data with vendor addresses and cross referenced it with inflections.

They could have nailed down exactly where everyone got it.

But that would have been a massive breach of privacy.

They could have also been getting ready to test everyone months ago, so those with the illness could have been cornteened sooner. Or halted travel from outside the country sooner. Or put a ban on mardi gras and other events sooner.