Page 728 of 968 FirstFirst ... 714724726727728729730732742 ... LastLast
Results 7,271 to 7,280 of 9676

Thread: The Trump Presidency

1. Not really.
    He's just painting with some very broad strokes. I'm absolutely, positively sure people were abused by entitled rich kids.
    I don't believe it was as many as he thinks.
    As previously mentioned, I went to a private school. There were a lot of upper middle class and some of us lower middle class. The sporty, handsome rich dudes didn't have to do much more than say "hi" to most of the girls in the school to get them to peel off their jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I really believe losers that got no puss in high school want to believe all the ones that did, did so because rape and money.
    Who's talking about all?

3. half, all, what's the difference when you're being hyperbolic.

50% ?

5. Quote Originally Posted by Calliander View Post
    I grew up poor so this is a guess based on the fairly well-off kids around me, but, "Here are my accomplishments, I deserve this," was something they did all the time. He believes he has earned a SCOTUS spot. It's now somewhat endangered so he's lashing out. And make no mistake about it - the claims about his family are part of his list of accomplishments. He doesn't actually care, that was clear from the fake crying. I may not know what wealth & entitlement are like, but I know the show he put on all too well.
    Okay, yeah, that's how I was reading it. The "I DESERVE THIS" screaming. Also interesting read about his family, yeah. Good observations! I did not grow up rich at all but my father was the black sheep of a well to-do family and I see some of that behavior replicated in his siblings.

IP - As far as believing the accusations, this is a tough one to explain. I think that she clearly was assaulted, and I assumed as soon as this went public that others would corroborate the claims and come out with their own, which they did. I agree with the Repubs that Feinstein bungled the shit a bit. I think that she was in a tough spot and I understand that but I also am sensing the the Dems are using yet another really shitty situation as 4D chess pieces. And, they are doing it badly. I believe both parties are complicit in creating a really awful environment for both the victim and accused, and this will have lasting effects on both parties and the people on the stand. I want to believe that there is a better way to handle this - but if Feinstein would have brought the letter to law enforcement (FBI etc) originally, would it have been investigated fairly? IDK. I kind of doubt no. I think we as a society handle sexual assault and rape situations very badly (as evidenced by so many metoo stories) and it's not surprising that a potential SCOTUS would be exempt from this situation.

Another theoretical scenario banging around in my head - if Kav was innocent, and this was just a big democrat circus, look what both he and Ford just experienced. This is totally totally theoretical, but just put on your "Kav is 100% innocent" imagination hat, if you can. This was broadcast on live TV. How many of you have a job interview broadcasted on live TV? Why was this done in public? Again, imagination hat - say Ford was mistaken about her situation. Say she has the wrong guy. Essentially she was subject to a live police report, to be tried in the court of media. Again, have you ever filed a police report that was televised to millions?
    This is how we are dealing with the situation. Regardless of the truth of sides, we have subjected two individuals to completely unrealistic standards of justice, employment conditions, and god knows what else. This is how we handle rape and sexual assault cases, like a fucking reality TV show. This should sicken everyone in America, that regardless of the guilt or innocence of either party, we're being incredibly callous with very serious scenarios. I don't know what the answer is, but this is not it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

6. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    ... I agree with the Repubs that Feinstein bungled the shit a bit ... regardless of the guilt or innocence of either party, we're being incredibly callous ...
    Yeah, the prosecutor actually dunked on all those senators at the end of Ford's questions. That part where she described the forensic interview is completely the course of action that should have been taken, and while it's an extreme rebuke of Feinstein et al's stupid attempt to 'October Surprise' Kavanaugh's nomination, that extends to all of them for not holding up the proceedings to handle this appropriately. I forget the exact wording, but she asked Ford if anyone advised her to do the forensic interview - which, of course, is a no - and then called out the 5 minute format's usefulness.

One could argue refusing to ask the "I don't believe you" and "I think you are part of a conspiracy" questions would have been a better condemnation but the Democrats deserve blame for at least some of this, too.

And then Flake's masterful hoodwink. Wew!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Satsuki View Post
    This is how we handle rape and sexual assault cases, like a fucking reality TV show. This should sicken everyone in America, that regardless of the guilt or innocence of either party, we're being incredibly callous with very serious scenarios. I don't know what the answer is, but this is not it.
    It’s the pennicle of reality television. Judge Kavanaugh and Dr Ford may not have been acting, but they both knew they were performing on the national stage. When you perform for a job interview (and any court hearing really), none of it’s genuine or purely sincere, but this... this is on another level. This is peak reality TV. I wish the Jousts of the country and all partisan voters could see how they are manipulated by politicians, lately on a pure level of schadenfreude. But the shit is all show.

Ultimately, this is a fight over partisan control of what should be a non-partisan branch of the government.
    None of the Congress really cares about the rape (however, it does validate Democrats in the eyes of their team).
    The release of the accusations and hearings were delayed in an attempt to move the vote until after the election, in hopes the Democrats gain control of Congress.
    Judge Kavanaugh wouldn’t agree to the FBI investigation, along those lines, because it would further delay the process and lessen his chance of getting confirmed.

Senator Feinstein using Dr Ford as a pawn, creating a pressure keg out of this crime, is shameless, but Senator McConnell started this mess delaying the Scalia replacement two years ago and created the vitriol among Democrats.

It’s shit Kavanaugh is going to get voted in, his temperament and irrational thinking has no place on the court. But the bigger problem is the complete lack of morals in Congress.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 28 Sep 2018 at 02:52 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. I don't really buy that a Senate hearing like this is actually taking an allegation of rape seriously. I also feel women are just as fallible and corrupted as men. Someone really left-leaning could absolutely go on the stand to prevent a judge appointed by the other team from taking a nomination. For that personality it makes them a hero. I'm not saying Dr. Ford is that personality, but that's the risk in going anecdotally "Oh no woman would make that up!" That's wrong, or at the very least it's not entirely right.

The line is taking the allegation seriously and looking in to it. In this case the witnesses she's given officials have so far denied or not corroborated her story. This very well could be because they were all in on it, etc, etc. But the occam's razor reality about these things mostly ends up on: the evidence just doesn't amount reasonable doubt (I haven't read enough about the accusations to know enough yet, though). Holding off on the nomination is the right outcome while the accounts are investigated. That's how they nailed Cosby.
    Quote Originally Posted by rezo
    Once, a gang of fat girls threatened to beat me up for not cottoning to their advances. As they explained it to me: "guys can usually beat up girls, but we are all fat, and there are a lot of us."

9. I muat have missed the alternate reality where Al Franken was still a Senator.