Page 14 of 25 FirstFirst ... 10121314151618 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Jed View Post
    This game is a fucking snoozefest. I literally do not care about 99% of the characters. Playing as Abby just completely takes the wind out of my sails. Everything about her, and the Wolves / Scars conflict is so far removed from the main plot, it's impossible to give a shit.

I'm a huge fan of the first game, this one is really disappointing.
    You're a snoozefest. The second half kicks ass.

(warning: image has spoilers)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	thechadabbie.png 
Views:	71 
Size:	114.0 KB 
ID:	81798  
    Last edited by sleeve; 30 Jun 2020 at 02:59 PM.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Just got past the big midpoint twist, and I just want to say that the complaints about Abby's physique are laughable once you see where she's been living in the years since Salt Lake. Say what you will about the WLF as an oppressive regime, but holy shit do they ever have their shit together when it comes to providing for their people in a post-apocalypse. Definitely moreso than the Boston QZ, probably even than Jackson. The operation they've got going in that stadium is damned impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. Finished it last night. Better than the first in all but 2 ways: story and replayability.

Story is questionable at times and the last few hours were a bit of a slog.

No desire to play it again.

8.59/10

4. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    You're a snoozefest. The second half kicks ass.

(warning: image has spoilers)
    The second half, so far, is my favorite narrative anything Naughty Dog has ever done.

Just hit day 3 with Abby and the idea that they took a character that kills the main character from the first game, and make you care about her equal to the point that you understand that the true tragedy isn't the infected, but that people who all have the same goal end up hurting each other, is phenomenal. Lev even says it while you wander the sky scrapper when he brings up that the Seraphite profit wouldn't have wanted conflict, and that everyone wants the same thing, they just different ways of getting there.

Most studios, be it games, movies, or television, couldn't pull off what ND did here. I'll say it again, if you blow this game off because you don't like Abby from the cliff notes, you are doing yourself a disservice.

That information was intentionally presented to you with extreme bias. Most people think water is unsafe if you present it as "everyone who drinks dihydrogen monoxide dies, and they're pumping it into your home!" Don't let spin dissuade you from playing one of the best games of the generation.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Opaque View Post
    The second half, so far, is my favorite narrative anything Naughty Dog has ever done.

Just hit day 3 with Abby and the idea that they took a character that kills the main character from the first game, and make you care about her equal to the point that you understand that the true tragedy isn't the infected, but that people who all have the same goal end up hurting each other, is phenomenal. Lev even says it while you wander the sky scrapper when he brings up that the Seraphite profit wouldn't have wanted conflict, and that everyone wants the same thing, they just different ways of getting there.
    I agree. And part of the reason the ending hit so strongly for me was the strength of the world building as well as all of that character development that you cited. I think it actively reinforces the character themes that we see with the two main characters in ways that I have never seen a video game pull off.

Some of the legitimate criticism of the ending (and this is kind of an oversimplification) has to do with how much the time spent with Abby takes away from time that perhaps could have been spent with Ellie better. Which is something that both the bad faith critics and the fair minded critics have in common.

I don't really agree with that and I think that in the end the decision that they made - to go big with the narrative in the way that they did - pays off.

It also wouldn't be true to Ellie's character at all to pull any punches with her arc.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

6. Critical drinker has some salient points.

Spoilers.

https://youtu.be/iGtKUaPhdfk

7. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I think Gigantor is trans and Owen smashes that boy pussy.

Did I miss something?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 01 Jul 2020 at 08:04 PM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

8. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I think Gigantor is trans and Owen smashes that boy pussy.

Did I miss something?
    Last warning.

9. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Angry Joe nails it. Spoilers abound!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-sTlYUeT8o
    *thinks to self*

"This youtuber is named "Angry Joe". This is not a promising sign."

*skips ahead 15 random minutes into the video*

"They've got all these guys in the stadium and they couldn't pick a woman WHO WASN'T PREGNANT TO GO ON THE MISSION?!?!?!"

*closes video*