Page 22 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8182021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    That doesn't mean everyone that doesn't like it is a moron. I have said over and over it's not for everyone, it's not fun,
    I thought it was fun.

Thought provoking and entertaining are not mutually exclusive.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Yeah, if anything how fun the moment-to-moment gameplay actually *is* undercuts the thematic opposition to violence and revenge. (Every game critic’s favorite bogeyman, Ludonarrative Dissonance, rears his ugly head once again!) I don’t know what to do about that though - if you intentionally make the underlying gameplay unfun to serve the artistic statement, all most people are going to take away from it is that they played a bad game.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

3. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Should I skip these games and just do watch plays of both? How about just playing the first and watching the second since it is so controversial?
    Sure.

And watch a let’s-play of Nier while you’re at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

4. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    I thought it was fun.

Thought provoking and entertaining are not mutually exclusive.
    I mean the gameplay is excellent and extremely polished, but I don't feel good doing it. It's gruesome.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    That doesn't mean everyone that doesn't like it is a moron.
    Obviously but man I get that impression from a lot of people over it that if you even dislike the game's story so much then you're a bigot or some other such bullshit. This game while fun and pretty isn't a 10/10 to me. I can think of a ton of other games that deserve perfect scores but this one isn't one of them.

Good game? Yeah no complaints on that. Perfect? Hell not even close.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

6. I’m thinking about just renting it from Red Box this weekend.

7. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I’m thinking about just renting it from Red Box this weekend.
    Looking forward to your unbiased opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    Yeah, if anything how fun the moment-to-moment gameplay actually *is* undercuts the thematic opposition to violence and revenge. (Every game critic’s favorite bogeyman, Ludonarrative Dissonance, rears his ugly head once again!) I don’t know what to do about that though - if you intentionally make the underlying gameplay unfun to serve the artistic statement, all most people are going to take away from it is that they played a bad game.
    I don't think so.

Ludonarrative dissonance is a bullshit concept that does not mean anything.

The game is very clear about delineating the player from the characters onscreen. Never does the game castigate you, the player, as some sort of complicit agent in the violence onscreen. There's no explicit fourth wall breaking that implicate the player (although there are some interesting moments that refer to patterns and mechanics from the first game).

I also don't think that the game needs to make the game "un-fun" to convey its message and themes, because they are much broader and complicated than simply "violence is bad, do not participate in violence."
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

8. I didn’t care for the way Santa Barbara was handled. That’s about my only complaint.

9/10.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Obviously but man I get that impression from a lot of people over it that if you even dislike the game's story so much then you're a bigot or some other such bullshit.
    If your particular complaint about it is that it has an "SJW agenda" because it happens to include two queer characters, then that might be a fair assessment. And certainly there are some people acting like that.

This game while fun and pretty isn't a 10/10 to me. I can think of a ton of other games that deserve perfect scores but this one isn't one of them.
    Honestly, it's not for me either, and I don't even know what 10/10 really means. I think the writing is fantastic, with a challenging narrative that accomplishes something different for the medium. It's incredibly polished and refined and probably the best looking game I've ever played.

Is it the most fun I've had with a game this year? No. Will I ever play it again? Probably not. Did I "like" it the whole way through? No, I had to force myself to keep going at points. These aren't flaws per se; the game sets out what it means to achieve, but it's just not a world or story I want to live in more than I have to.

Compare that to Half Life Alyx, which might not have had the depth of character-driven storytelling, but created this world that I want to revisit, even within the same post-apocalyptic sort of genre.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    Sure.

And watch a let’s-play of Nier while you’re at it.
    Nier already did everything this game did, story wise, so i probably dont even need the lets play.