Page 19 of 25 FirstFirst ... 515171819202123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. Ok, auto pickup is awesome. Also I’m now at:

Wtf!? Lol!
    Korly-"Everyone here is an asshole, SURPRISE!"

2. This game is very good. I’m nearing the end, and though I’ll admit to not liking Abby very much early on in her side, the writing has made me care.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. People who read spoilers and then critique the story are the same people that tell you about their dreams for a 20 minutes later. The inability of people to distinguish between a sequence of events and a story astounds me.

I finished the game. I thought it was brilliant, affecting, original, and subversive. It was not necessarily "fun." It's a long, miserable game that forces you to engage in horrific acts of violence and then makes you feel like absolute shit about it. It's a lot like Spec Ops: The Line in that regard.

Switching to Abby is jarring, especially following a cliffhanger and I would blame anyone for throwing their hands up in exasperation when it first happens. But after you settle into it, it's a brilliant move, it totally transforms Ellie's story in the first half, and forces the player to reckon with everything they've done this far.

And yeah, a lot of people don't want to see that all the people they brutally murdered were likable characters with their own motivations, aspirations, and relationships. They're enemies. But it isn't because Abby is any less likable or sympathetic of a character or that her story is any less interesting, it's just a whole game designed to make you feel shitty. I get why some people just want to have fun, but this isn't that.

Comparisons to The Last Jedi are laughable. If Anything this is Gaspar Moe's Irreversible.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jul 2020 at 12:25 AM.

4. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, Joel was the main focus, but that focus changed when Ellie had to learn to survive on her own, while keeping Joel alive. The way Joel operates as, if he didn’t care about anyone, losing them wouldn’t matter. Even His female companion was expendable to him, and she was that way too.

Yes, TLOU2 attempts to put down everything that was done in the beautiful 1st game, and a lot of people really don’t want to play it, because of that. I imagine if their is a part 3, that it will be all about the character nobody wants to play as.
    Dude, Joel's arc in the first game parallels Abby's in this game. She lives in hatred and revenge and is only redeemed by saving a young queer teen. They aren't abandoning the themes of the first game, they are just tricking you into thinking the protagonist is the antagonist and vice versa. It doesn't diminish any of what the first game was about but it enriches it with a more three dimensional telling.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jul 2020 at 12:21 AM.

5. The greatest trick this game has is making you complicit.
    Boo, Hiss.

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I've heard that the followup was supposed to be about Ellie's girlfriend being killed and Ellie was going out to avenge her death. Joel was supposed to be in the support role this time. Druckman scrapped all of that, and that is why we got a game that was 7 years in the making.
    Do you get why they changed it and why that wouldn't have worked?

Sure, Ellie probably loves her girlfriend, but the players don't. They don't know her or care. By killing Joel, a characacter we spent a whole game with and loved, it puts us in the mind frame to buy into this horrible revenge obsession that Ellie has, to do the terrible things the game makes us do, and to mostly feel righteous about it until the game forces us to confront the reality of what we've done..

It's literally the whole point. It's a challenging narrative but it only works the way they did it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    This game is very good. I’m nearing the end, and though I’ll admit to not liking Abby very much early on in her side, the writing has made me care.
    You're really not supposed to. It takes time to bring her from enemy to three dimensional protagonist of her own story. It would be super weird if you could do that by just flipping a switch. Everyone threw their hands up and went "What the fuck" at that part, you're kind of supposed to.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Do you get why they changed it and why that wouldn't have worked?

Sure, Ellie probably loves her girlfriend, but the players don't. They don't know her or care. By killing Joel, a characacter we spent a whole game with and loved, it puts us in the mind frame to buy into this horrible revenge obsession that Ellie has, to do the terrible things the game makes us do, and to mostly feel righteous about it until the game forces us to confront the reality of what we've done..

It's literally the whole point. It's a challenging narrative but it only works the way they did it.
    It’s certainly a better idea than revenge for Ellie’s girlfriend, but it also requires you to buy into Abby’s story and empathizing with her. A lot of people repeated the same feeling, after finishing the game, which was miserable. Then asking them to attack Ellie with Abby was even more conflicting for them.

I can’t recall the name of this movie, but it had you following the Sheffif of a small town, who had a fiancé and was having a sexual affair with a prostitute. He ends up convincing Jessica Alba’s character to let him rough her up, so they can kill a guy and make it look like self defense. He beats her to a bloody pulp, so much that my wife yelled at the television for him to stop hitting her. He later knocks down his fiancé, Kate Hudson and keeps kicking her to death. We kind of looked at each other after the movie was over and wondered who this movie was made for?
    Last edited by gamevet; 07 Jul 2020 at 01:10 PM.

Should I skip these games and just do watch plays of both? How about just playing the first and watching the second since it is so controversial?