Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 9192122232425 LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. But, gaming is about enjoyment and escaping the real world for a few hours. Do we really need to experience being miserable with gaming? That’s not what I look for when playing a game.

Well shit. Redbox stopped renting games about 7 months ago.

https://www.cnet.com/news/redbox-no-...t-video-games/
    Last edited by gamevet; 08 Jul 2020 at 05:09 PM.

I'm sure someone has said that about any given form of art.

"Should this play really make me feel bad? I come to the theater to escape real life"

3. That's really just one person's opinion.

The game did not make me feel miserable at all. At least, not to the point where playing the game was not an enjoyable act.

It made me experience many heights and lows of emotion, just like a lot of great art does.

And the gunplay and melee combat is pretty good, too.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I'm sure someone has said that about any given form of art.

"Should this play really make me feel bad? I come to the theater to escape real life"
    I’ve described a couple movies like that earlier in the thead, with John Wayne’s The Cowboys, where Wayne is shot in the back, but the kids that were with him on a cattle drive, methodically killed the men that killed him. And then there was The Killer Inside me, that featured a psycho sheriff that beat and killed a couple of beautiful woman that many fans loved. The second movie just made you feel miserable to the end.

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...&bih=693&dpr=2

There was another movie I’d seen called The Elephant Man. It was about the horribly deformed John Merrick, who was a part of the freak show for a circus. You couldn’t help but feel empathy for the poor man, that was loved by nobody, but a doctor that became his friend.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08 Jul 2020 at 07:08 PM.

ok

6. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    But, gaming is about enjoyment and escaping the real world for a few hours. Do we really need to experience being miserable with gaming? That’s not what I look for when playing a game.
    That's perfectly valid, and this probably isn't the game for you. This is not an escapist fantasy. It is a game that will make you feel, though, which makes it good art by my definition.

Of course the first game was like that too. I don't see these as terribly different.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Nier already did everything this game did, story wise, so i probably dont even need the lets play.
    no actually apart from the perspective shift TLOU2 is the exact opposite of Nier in every conceivable way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Except the ways that bother gamevet. Or the reasons you consider the narrative to be art.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    That's perfectly valid, and this probably isn't the game for you. This is not an escapist fantasy. It is a game that will make you feel, though, which makes it good art by my definition.

Of course the first game was like that too. I don't see these as terribly different.
    I don't see the 1st game as being anything like that at all. Killing was about surviving, and the narrative was about 2 characters bonding and building trust.