Page 20 of 25 FirstFirst ... 616181920212224 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Should I skip these games and just do watch plays of both? How about just playing the first and watching the second since it is so controversial?
    They're not that long. The first game is super cheap and takes like 12 to 14 hours.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

2. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Should I skip these games and just do watch plays of both? How about just playing the first and watching the second since it is so controversial?
    Yes. Do this.

3. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It’s certainly a better idea than revenge for Ellie’s girlfriend, but it also requires you to buy into Abby’s story and empathizing with her. A lot of people repeated the same feeling, after finishing the game, which was miserable. Then asking them to attack Ellie with Abby was even more conflicting for them.
    That's exactly the point. It's a narrative meant to make the player challenge their beliefs. That feeling of internal conflict is the message. If that's how you felt, the it did it's job.

Unfortunately, you won't ever actually get to experience the story as intended, because you spoiled it for yourself. You can't actually go on that journey because you know where it's going and what it's trying to do. You can analytically try to look at the intent and think how you might have felt if you trusted someone to tell you a story but you will never actually get to have that emotional experience.

And that's what really drives me nuts here. You look at the Angry Joe review, and he clearly shows in his reaction shots to early scenes that he has spoiled the game for himself and he knows what's coming and then spends 45 minutes talking about how it's bad writing and it's predictable. Gee, Kreskin, how did you guess where this is going? It really makes you wonder how anyone can be that stupid.

Like I said before this is definitely not a game for everyone. It's a challenging narrative and nothing about is fun or satisfying. But that isn't bad writing, it's a powerful game that hits like a sledgehammer. It's brilliant. It's just miserable.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    That's exactly the point. It's a narrative meant to make the player challenge their beliefs. That feeling of internal conflict is the message. If that's how you felt, the it did it's job.

Unfortunately, you won't ever actually get to experience the story as intended, because you spoiled it for yourself. You can't actually go on that journey because you know where it's going and what it's trying to do. You can analytically try to look at the intent and think how you might have felt if you trusted someone to tell you a story but you will never actually get to have that emotional experience.

And that's what really drives me nuts here. You look at the Angry Joe review, and he clearly shows in his reaction shots to early scenes that he has spoiled the game for himself and he knows what's coming and then spends 45 minutes talking about how it's bad writing and it's predictable. Gee, Kreskin, how did you guess where this is going? It really makes you wonder how anyone can be that stupid.

Like I said before this is definitely not a game for everyone. It's a challenging narrative and nothing about is fun or satisfying. But that isn't bad writing, it's a powerful game that hits like a sledgehammer. It's brilliant. It's just miserable.
    It's bad writing, bro. Same emotions could have been done waaaaay better and easier.

Abby and joel are not the same. There is no parralel.

5. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    It's bad writing, bro. Same emotions could have been done waaaaay better and easier.

Abby and joel are not the same. There is no parralel.
    If someone could have done it better, I don't know why no one has yet.

The writing is impeccable. I say again if you spoiled it for yourself before you got the chance to play it, you can't critique the story. You didn't experience the story, you only experienced the plot.

6. I didn't spoil it for myself. I and my 19 year old step daughter played it together, since we played the first one years back.

Spent about 2 hours talking about how shitty the story was and coyld have been better.

A great story could be spoiled and is still a great story.

Lawrence of Arabia opens with his death.

Still a great story.

This? Not so much.

7. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    I didn't spoil it for myself. I and my 19 year old step daughter played it together, since we played the first one years back.

Spent about 2 hours talking about how shitty the story was and coyld have been better.

A great story could be spoiled and is still a great story.

Lawrence of Arabia opens with his death.

Still a great story.

This? Not so much.
    The Lawrence of Arabia comparison completely misses my point. Achronological storytelling is still storytelling, it's a device to lead the viewer on a certain journey. All good storytelling involves some sleight of hand that, when spoiled, alters the emotional impact of what you are seeing.

But fine, I am glad you didn't spoil it. Going back and reading your comments I kind of think you missed the point of the first game, you thought it was something much more wholesome than it was and you're mad that this game is not only different but exposed that intent in the original.

The end of the first game is supposed to leave you feeling conflicted. Joel does the wrong thing by most measures. And it makes the whole journey pointless in some sense. Worse than that, he's killed countless people, good people who are just as important to their loved ones as Ellie is to him. And he saved this person that he loved but be completely betrayed her and took her agency from her. And then afterwards he lies about it to her for purely selfish reasons because he knows he did the wrong thing. TLOU2 forces you to reckon with all these things and I think that ruins what you somehow mistook for a happy ending.

The second game has a similar arc. At the end of the day nothing is accomplished but pain and misery, with maybe some character growth and a relationship formed as the silver lining.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jul 2020 at 02:33 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    The Lawrence of Arabia comparison completely misses my point. Achronological storytelling is still storytelling, it's a device to lead the viewer on a certain journey. All good storytelling involves some sleight of hand that, when spoiled, alters the emotional impact of what you are seeing.

But fine, I am glad you didn't spoil it. Going back and reading your comments I kind of think you missed the point of the first game, you thought it was something much more wholesome than it was and you're mad that this game is not only different but exposed that intent in the original.

The end of the first game is supposed to leave you feeling conflicted. Joel does the wrong thing by most measures. And it makes the whole journey pointless in some sense. Worse than that, he's killed countless people, good people who are just as important to their loved ones as Ellie is to him. And he saved this person that he loved but be completely betrayed her and took her agency from her. TLOU2 forces you to reckon with all these things and I think it ruins what you somehow mistook for a happy ending.
    No. I think i got the point of the first game. Impossible choice made for slightly selfish reasons against bad people.

Fireflys were not good people. They didnt care about anyone and lied. Going to kill both of them. Ya ya ya.

I have no problem with repercussions and fallout from the actions in that game. That was expected.

I do admire trying to humanize people who make bad choices. It isn't easy. Trying to retroactively do it was a poor choice.

Would have been 10x more effective to just tell a good story. Could literally pitch a better story.

But, whatever. Lotta people who played it find it lacking quite a bit even with whatever twists are there.

I don't think the reason for 117,000 scores averaging 5.3 is because people spoiled the story for themselves.

It just isn't a well told tale.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    No. I think i got the point of the first game. Impossible choice made for slightly selfish reasons against bad people.

Fireflys were not good people. They didnt care about anyone and lied. Going to kill both of them. Ya ya ya.
    If that's how you understood the end of that game, then you are absolutely affirming everything I said.

I have no problem with repercussions and fallout from the actions in that game. That was expected.

I do admire trying to humanize people who make bad choices. It isn't easy. Trying to retroactively do it was a poor choice.
    I am having trouble even making sense of this comment.

I honestly don't see how it could have been effective any other way. Otherwise Ellie's story loses all of its impact and importance. In order to share Ellie's rage you also have to share her perspective and all its limits. And then you get the blinders taken off and the camera pulls back on the story. Doing it the other way around ruins that.

Would have been 10x more effective to just tell a good story. Could literally pitch a better story.
    So far "Do it more good tho" is about the extent of the criticism I'm getting from you.

And I understand that a lot of people don't like it. I really don't think it's for everyone. It's a challenging narrative, not broad entertainment. I'm not saying you should like it, I am saying that it realizes its narrative intentions. It's good art, but that doesn't make it a good time.

There's a reason more people go to Star Wars or Marvel movies than Irreversible or Straw Dogs. That's fine. It doesn't mean Star Wars is better.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 07 Jul 2020 at 02:52 PM.

10. Make a game that's entirely story and make the story more better.

Yeah that's the criticism.

Story is not a great story and it's not told well.

Thats the bulk of the game. It should be criticized.

Ellie was lied to by the fireflies. She was lied to by joel. One actually saved her rather than killed her.

The ignorant can't have their "agency" stolen.

Part 1 is a great game.

2 is okay.

It's this:

https://youtu.be/Mg5HOnq7zD0