Page 16 of 25 FirstFirst ... 212141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    lol this was debunked.

Play the game, dude. It doesn't disrespect him at all.

This is the point where I would bring out a THE LAST JEDI comparison, but...sometimes I wonder whether Opaque and I even played the same game as you motherfuckers. TLOU was *not* about Joel. From the moment TLOU hit the Winter chapter, I understood that the game was about Ellie. TLOU2 was *always* going to be about Ellie. And then the Left Behind DLC made that even more clear.

What were you expecting to happen in this game? Joel to ride roughshod over the remnants of humanity with a jetpack with dual automatic rifles over the mushroom zombie hordes with Ellie as his dutiful, shoddy AI companion?
    Part 1 was very much about joel and how a broken man learns to slowly love in a real way again.

That was the main plot.

Are you seriously invoking TLJ in a positive way?

2. LOL what would you know. You never worked in real gaming journalism.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    LOL what would you know. You never worked in real gaming journalism.
    I hope you're being sarcastic because gaming journalism as it is now these days is a fucking joke.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. The Gamefans and GamePros of old really dug deep. You just don't see that sort of hard-hitting investigative journalism anymore.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    LOL what would you know. You never worked in real gaming journalism.
    True.

I imagine GF would have a thread right now talking about how Eric savaged the game and gave it a 60/100.

Just as I would have given MGS2 a 60.

If half your game is story and that story is crap, it's not a good game.

I'm going to drop my score from 8.99 to 7.99.

6. Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    The Gamefans and GamePros of old really dug deep. You just don't see that sort of hard-hitting investigative journalism anymore.
    It's not even really that. The way things are now you can't even tell what honest journalism is anymore. People being paid off by companies, sponsors, you name it. I enjoyed reading a lot of the older gaming mags back then even tho to this day I knew Nintendo Power was just ads for their games.

As much as some people here still hate him, ECM's passion for his love of shooters was what inspired me to go out and try them. Tho I wish he hadn't done Mischief Makers. That game was just... terrible.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    lol this was debunked.
    I hope so, because that act was shitty on its own.

TLOU was *not* about Joel. From the moment TLOU hit the Winter chapter, I understood that the game was about Ellie. TLOU2 was *always* going to be about Ellie. And then the Left Behind DLC made that even more clear.

What were you expecting to happen in this game? Joel to ride roughshod over the remnants of humanity with a jetpack with dual automatic rifles over the mushroom zombie hordes with Ellie as his dutiful, shoddy AI companion?
    I never got the impression of the game being just about Joel, or just about Ellie. It was about both characers building trust, which the world they lived in pretty much lacked. She took care of Joel, when he was near death and he rescued her, when she was getting roughed up by her capture. Joel would have broken (not cared what happened to her) that trust, had he left Ellie behind in the hands of those doctors.

I've heard that the followup was supposed to be about Ellie's girlfriend being killed and Ellie was going out to avenge her death. Joel was supposed to be in the support role this time. Druckman scrapped all of that, and that is why we got a game that was 7 years in the making.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I hope so, because that act was shitty on its own.

I never got the impression of the game being just about Joel, or just about Ellie. It was about both characers building trust, which the world they lived in pretty much lacked. She took care of Joel, when he was near death and he rescued her, when she was getting roughed up by her capture. Joel would have broken (not cared what happened to her) that trust, had he left Ellie behind in the hands of those doctors.

I've heard that the followup was supposed to be about Ellie's girlfriend being killed and Ellie was going out to avenge her death. Joel was supposed to be in the support role this time. Druckman scrapped all of that, and that is why we got a game that was 7 years in the making.
    Yes and no.

1 is about both, but because both characters need the other to complete their respective arcs.

Joel is the main character. He's a broken man who has done shady shit he alludes to. He wants the gun cache and only takes Ellie on the trip to get double the cache.

Broken. Selfish. Ruthless. Berift of hope.

This is clear because you are shown exactly what he was like with his daughter before the infection.

Ellie is just a kid who wants to matter. No one takes her serious, made worse because shes a girl.

As they struggle (introduce character - introduce problem - struggle - overcome - resolution to story) they help each other.

Joel goes from husk of man to a father and teacher/mentor into a man okay damning the world to save Ellie from the fireflies and their abusive lies.

Ellie goes from weak to strong, capable of handling herself entirely alone and, by the time Joel has to save her, shes already killed to save herself. She's close to equal with him as a survivor and there is genuine respect between them.

Now, take all thay shit and throw it right out the window. There is no depth like that in 2.

There is shallow moments aching for depth, but no actual depth.

9. Yeah, Joel was the main focus, but that focus changed when Ellie had to learn to survive on her own, while keeping Joel alive. The way Joel operates as, if he didn’t care about anyone, losing them wouldn’t matter. Even His female companion was expendable to him, and she was that way too.

Yes, TLOU2 attempts to put down everything that was done in the beautiful 1st game, and a lot of people really don’t want to play it, because of that. I imagine if their is a part 3, that it will be all about the character nobody wants to play as.
    Last edited by gamevet; 02 Jul 2020 at 02:40 PM.

10. Imagine this:

1 is exactly the same game, except one difference:

Open on boston with joel, play entire game and then, after Joel kills the surgeon, flash back and play the first level.

Now you see why he did his act, but it's a retroactive justification that just doesn't hold anywhere near the same impact.

That is part 2.