Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 313151617181921 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Yeah, Joel was the main focus, but that focus changed when Ellie had to learn to survive on her own, while keeping Joel alive.
    That's part of her arc. She's the sub character.

Joel's arc is loving again and doing whatever it takes to save his daughter.

If the game entirely switched to her, okay, she's the main character. DLC notwithstanding, you have Ellie playable, what? 25% of the game maybe?

2. Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I hope you're being sarcastic because gaming journalism as it is now these days is a fucking joke.
    I am. I like MVS. I’d let him come over and fuck my sister.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

3. This has turned into an interesting discussion. I'm happy to read sleeve's, Matt's & gamevet's viewpoints on this as it opens a window of sorts to see where you guys are coming from. It's been a long time since I've seen a thread like this here where reading both sides of the debate of this game has been enlightening & informative.

Keep it up guys. This is some damn good reading with some very thoughtful and insightful posts from all of you.

Except Doc.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 02 Jul 2020 at 02:50 PM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

4. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    I am. I like MVS. I’d let him come over and fuck my sister.
    Can i fly and kick soccer balls at her?

5. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I never got the impression of the game being just about Joel, or just about Ellie. It was about both characers building trust, which the world they lived in pretty much lacked. She took care of Joel, when he was near death and he rescued her, when she was getting roughed up by her capture. Joel would have broken (not cared what happened to her) that trust, had he left Ellie behind in the hands of those doctors.
    You've more or less described the arc of the first game but Ellie ends up being the more interesting character through the end of the first game and the DLC. Through the course of that single game, she goes through much more trauma and character building. Especially in the key moment when she stabs David to death even when she doesn't have to.

Also - Ellie and Joel control very differently in TLOU. Joel is very practical and methodical, uses chokeholds to choke people out, and is almost distant with his approach to violence. Ellie is the exact opposite. She carries a switchblade and is extremely violent, even when using stealth kills. When controlled by the AI she will stab people periodically and shout expletives. She is clearly intelligent but is also wracked by trauma, even at a young age.

It says a lot about what will happen in the second game, which is called Part II for a reason: they're really two parts of one whole.

I've heard that the followup was supposed to be about Ellie's girlfriend being killed and Ellie was going out to avenge her death. Joel was supposed to be in the support role this time. Druckman scrapped all of that, and that is why we got a game that was 7 years in the making.
    "Fridging" Dina would have been terrible writing, and ND are too smart to do something stupid like that.
    Last edited by sleeve; 02 Jul 2020 at 03:20 PM.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post

The fact that one of the characters that people had loved in the first game was well.... cancelled in such a way is why I can understand people getting pissed off. Waiting seven years for this with characters people had emotionally invested their time into only to have it end in such a.... how can I put it.... a fart in the wind? sorta way was kinda just damn.

Anyways before certain people decide to attack me for having a difference of opinion, I'll just say I'm enjoying the game so far.
    So you agree? That you didnt want this kind of writing in this series?

I'd stay away from the orginal ff7, or the bioshock series, or anything made by yoko taro then. All have bitter plot twists or endings.

It sucks but it is to be expected with the success of game of thrones and the walking dead.

Or phantasy star 4. Avoid that one too.

8. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    You've more or less described the arc of the first game but Ellie ends up being the more interesting character through the end of the first game and the DLC. Through the course of that single game, she goes through much more trauma and character building. Especially in the key moment when she stabs David to death even when she doesn't have to.

Also - Ellie and Joel control very differently in TLOU. Joel is very practical and methodical, uses chokeholds to choke people out, and is almost distant with his approach to violence. Ellie is the exact opposite. She carries a switchblade and is extremely violent, even when using stealth kills. When controlled by the AI she will stab people periodically and shout expletives. She is clearly intelligent but is also wracked by trauma, even at a young age.

It says a lot about what will happen in the second game, which is called Part II for a reason: they're really two parts of one whole.
    She's also very handy with a bow. Yeah, you can see that that little girl can be just as violent as Joel. It's not a very kind world and it brings out the worst in all of them.

"Fridging" Dina would have been terrible writing, and ND are too smart to do something stupid like that.
    Yes, that would have been a bit lame.

9. The most amazing thing to me is that there are people in this thread who have never played the game convinced that reviews which mirror their opinions, which again are not based on playing the game, "nail it".

Like, imagine not eating a meal from a restaurant, reading the menu, then going on Yelp and being like "yeah this dude who said the pizza was shitty is totally right". How the fuck do you know you don't like taco pizza if you never fucking tried it?

I'm over here telling you that despite your reservations about taco pizza, there's a real chance that it'll surprise you.
    Last edited by Opaque; 03 Jul 2020 at 01:12 AM.

10. It sounds like it's a good enough game that you could probably have fun while hating the story anyway.