Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 11131415161719 ... LastLast

Thread: The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

1. I know you want everyone to love this game Sleeve and that's ok but you should consider that Joe gave it more of a fair score then most people. If this game was such a 10 out of 10 that so many sites are giving it, then there wouldn't be so much backlash as there is now over it. Hell the game has already dropped 80% overall in sales then 2nd week in. That should tell a lot sadly.

I finally decided to play this and while visually the game is stunning, the story isn't a 10 worthy.

Joe gave it a 6/10 review which I'm sure some people will say he was being generous but yeah, I don't care about these characters that much. I'll probably finish it but like Matt said, This is a one and done. The 1st game overall shit on the 2nd by miles in terms of story & characters. Hell Joe even himself gave the 1st game a perfect score because he loved it so much.

Edit: The name Angry Joe is just a joke name. The dude has a huge sub base so it means he's doing something right. I don't agree with his reviews all the time but yeah. I'll keep it real tho and say yes I'm enjoying the game but that one scene did leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Now several games I think that score higher imo would be God of War & Spiderman to name a few on the PS4. This I would give it maybe a 7 out of 10 from what I've played so far.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 02 Jul 2020 at 05:28 AM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

I think it's a little dishonest to connect the quality of the game with the backlash.

It was a AAA title that had subversive story elements. It is similar to how people complained about politics being added to the prequel star wars movies. There is a sizable number of blockbuster movie and game fans that do not want mature content in their media. If they spend $60 on a game, they do not want to feel bad, even if thst is the intent of the creators.

3. The Last of Us Part II (PS4)

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    I know you want everyone to love this game Sleeve and that's ok but you should consider that Joe gave it more of a fair score then most people.
    I couldn’’t care less whether people “love” this game or not.

I’’m not interested in engaging with shitty discourse about the game, which unfortunately 90% of the discourse of TLOU2 is surrounded in right now.

On the whole, takes that focus on “”plot holes”” and whether the “story is good”, or the relative presence of absence of characters from the first game, or the musculature of characters in the second game, do not interest me.

Here is an example of a very critical yet actually very thoughtful piece about the game (warning: spoilers):

https://medium.com/@carolynpetit/bro...i-a012de5d2acf
    Last edited by sleeve; 02 Jul 2020 at 09:10 AM.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    It is similar to how people complained about politics being added to the prequel star wars movies.
    Looks like Disney heard.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

5. I don’t think the creators saw the pandemic and riots happening precisely this year, but I think they saw the writing on the wall. So, I think Last of Us 2 is the perfect game for the year, when culturally we care more about destroying than building and more about self or tribe than working for humanity as a whole.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 02 Jul 2020 at 11:16 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

6. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    I couldn’’t care less whether people “love” this game or not.

I’’m not interested in engaging with shitty discourse about the game, which unfortunately 90% of the discourse of TLOU2 is surrounded in right now.
    And there's a reason why that discourse is happening. You can choose not to "engage" with it but to beat down people when they feel they have a legitimate point about why they don't like it just isn't fair to them.

This is a great game which I'm fine with saying but, I also respect that there were some points in it that a lot of people were rightfully pissed off about. If anything it's brought a lot of interesting discussion in this thread to which I'm happy to hear why people like this game and why they don't like it.

Also I 100% agree that I don't care about how this chick is seriously buffed up in a world like that but that's neither here nor there. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    I think it's a little dishonest to connect the quality of the game with the backlash.

It was a AAA title that had subversive story elements. It is similar to how people complained about politics being added to the prequel star wars movies. There is a sizable number of blockbuster movie and game fans that do not want mature content in their media. If they spend $60 on a game, they do not want to feel bad, even if thst is the intent of the creators.
    I know I'm gonna regret this but...

The fact that one of the characters that people had loved in the first game was well.... cancelled in such a way is why I can understand people getting pissed off. Waiting seven years for this with characters people had emotionally invested their time into only to have it end in such a.... how can I put it.... a fart in the wind? sorta way was kinda just damn.

Anyways before certain people decide to attack me for having a difference of opinion, I'll just say I'm enjoying the game so far.
    Last edited by BonusKun; 02 Jul 2020 at 10:36 AM.
    6-6-98 - 6-6-18 Happy 20th Anniversary TNL

7. Neil Druckman created a character in his likeness and had that character spit a snot ball onto Joel’s dead body. That’s a giant F U to fans of the 1st game.
    Last edited by gamevet; 02 Jul 2020 at 11:19 AM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Neil Druckman created a character in his likeness and had that character spit a snot ball onto Joel’s dead body. That’s a giant F U to fans of the 1st game.
    lol this was debunked.

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    The fact that one of the characters that people had loved in the first game was well.... cancelled in such a way is why I can understand people getting pissed off. Waiting seven years for this with characters people had emotionally invested their time into only to have it end in such a.... how can I put it.... a fart in the wind? sorta way was kinda just damn.
    Play the game, dude. It doesn't disrespect him at all.

This is the point where I would bring out a THE LAST JEDI comparison, but...sometimes I wonder whether Opaque and I even played the same game as you motherfuckers. TLOU was *not* about Joel. From the moment TLOU hit the Winter chapter, I understood that the game was about Ellie. TLOU2 was *always* going to be about Ellie. And then the Left Behind DLC made that even more clear.

What were you expecting to happen in this game? Joel to ride roughshod over the remnants of humanity with a jetpack with dual automatic rifles over the mushroom zombie hordes with Ellie as his dutiful, shoddy AI companion?
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

9. Make it a twinstick shooter and I'm in.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post

Subversive does not have to be poorly written.

It's a poorly written story that retroactively makes the first game seem less awesome than it was.

They could have kept all the crazy plot points, modified them slightly and still done better.

As Critical Drinker said:

Compare The Boss in MGS3 and Abby.

The boss is introduced, betrays Jack and you literally have to kill her at the end. Which was actually sad because you found out the impossible choice she had to make.

And the boss is an NPC in the game for what? 2 hours?

Just like Joel at the end of 1. Impossible choice, but understandable choice. Human characters.

That isn't in 2.