Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man Homecoming July 2017

1. This movie is fun and all, but all these people calling it better than the (first two) Raimi/Maguire movies are out of their minds. Those are classics that will stand decades from now among the pantheon of all-time great movies - not just superhero movies mind you, movies in general. The only MCU movies on that level so far are Avengers 1, both Guardians, and maybe Iron Man 1 and Winter Soldier. Homecoming is more Ant-Man level - a very entertaining movie, but well outclassed by the true greats.

The biggest thing that bugged me - and some might consider this a light spoiler, so turn back now if you haven't seen the movie and want to go in totally unspoiled - is that it doesn't seem to "get" that, as Batman's core driving motivation is vengeance, Spider-Man's is atonement. Don't get wrong, I'm glad they didn't rehash the origin story yet again, but NO MENTION of Uncle Ben and Peter's feeling of responsibility for his death, or the power and responsibility motto? Sorry, can't get behind that.

The movie even sets up the traditional Spider-Man social life vs heroism dilemmas, but Peter seems to choose the latter by default, with little indication that he is torn between his *desire* to go to the [insert social event here] vs his *sense of obligation* to be Spidey whenever Spidey is needed. Being Spidey seems instead to just be the stronger, overriding desire, painting Peter as ultimately self*ish* rather than self*less* when he bails on his friends to go play hero.

Tom Holland IS the first actor to nail both halves of the performance, I just wish he'd had better material to work with.

Quote Originally Posted by Gohron View Post
    I like doing stuff with animals and kids

2. Toby was and is a bad actor, let it go.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

3. You're high. He WAS Peter Parker, the way Christopher Reeve WAS Superman and RDJ IS Tony Stark. It's just too bad he was kind of a lousy Spidey.

4. Then again, maybe I just proved your point - maybe the only reason he was so perfect as Peter was because that's who he really is and thus no acting was required, and he couldn't pull off the transformation to confident, competent joke-meister that's supposed to happen when Pete puts on the mask.

5. I was never a giant fan of the first 2 Rami films (not a fan of Toby, but those movies did give us the best Jameson we'll probably ever see in live action). This one blew them both away for me. Keaton was the best Spidey villain and one of the best in the MCU so far.

6. Keaton WAS really damn good. That car scene, holy shit. I hope after him and Ego they can keep the "good villains" train a-rollin', that's historically been the weakest part of every MCU movie not starring Loki. No pressure, Galadriel.

I'd still give the crown to Dafoe, but only by a hair.

7. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Toby was and is a bad actor, let it go.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    Keaton WAS really damn good. That car scene, holy shit. I hope after him and Ego they can keep the "good villains" train a-rollin', that's historically been the weakest part of every MCU movie not starring Loki. No pressure, Galadriel.

I'd still give the crown to Dafoe, but only by a hair.
    I love Willem Dafoe, but seriously, all he did was overact the shit out of Spider-man 1.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

9. Quote Originally Posted by bbobb View Post
    I love Willem Dafoe, but seriously, all he does is overact the shit out of __________.

10. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Toby was and is a bad actor, let it go.
    I've always felt this way. Very stiff in his delivery. Even Dunst was more playful and convincing as Mary Jane. The writing and directing carried those two movies. And Molina as Doc Oc.

I'll see this next week when the crowds die down a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Space Pirate Roberts View Post
    The only MCU movies on that level so far are Avengers 1, both Guardians, and maybe Iron Man 1 and Winter Soldier. Homecoming is more Ant-Man level - a very entertaining movie, but well outclassed by the true greats.
    GotG and Avengers were that good but that's it imo. Ant-Man is better than any of the Captain or Thor movies. Way more imaginative and personal then endless streams of superheroes clashing against each other on screen.

IM1 imo loses its luster on repeats. It was so great seeing a Marvel character portrayed earnestly true to character back then. Now it's expected. Part of that was because of how Hollywood studios took over creative control and artisté producers/directors would shoehorn whatever perverse interpretation they had in their mind.

It's much better now. Strange was okay, but the character itself was nailed so completely. If it had come out in 2007 or whenever we would've been shitting ourselves.
    Last edited by Drewbacca; 12 Jul 2017 at 11:55 AM.