Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 57891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Spider-Man Homecoming July 2017

1. Wanna see the American Film Institute list? Sight & Sound's Directors' Poll?

At forty-ish, I'd like to think I've relaxed my impulse to dunk on people (especially people I like) on the internet, but that post was captain wacky.

2. This was ok. I didn't like it as much as the first two Raimi films, but it was different enough from past attempts that I could enjoy it on its own.

I really don't get why people are so excited to see all these characters cross over, though. Civil War was a horrendous clusterfuck of writers coming up with match-ups and then then hammering out some bullshit to get them in a room together, regardless of whether or not any of it followed from the story or characters. I really liked it better when Spider-Man was separate from the Avengers.

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I really don't get why people are so excited to see all these characters cross over, though.
    Because it's fucking sweet.

Because Iron Man is far and away the best character Marvel has, so anything they get him in is by definition an improvement. I was disappointed he didn't show up in Guardians 2.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
    Because Iron Man is far and away the best character Marvel has, so anything they get him in is by definition an improvement. I was disappointed he didn't show up in Guardians 2.
    Good characters only exist in good stories. When those characters do shit for no reason just to set up a "cool matchup" they cease being real characters. Avengers movies feel like watching the story mode from a fighting game. It's all just nonsense to get to the next fight. Iron Man's presence in Spider-Man: Homecoming worked fine, but Spider-Man getting dragged into The Avengers is going to be the end of any remotely interesting stories for Peter Parker.

Likewise, if you tell a good story, you can build a good character. I just finished reading Marvel's recent run of The Vision, and it's one of the best superhero stories I've read. Just in the events of that story alone, it built an amazing character. But in The Avengers, that same character is just a waste of screentime who I'd never have thought twice about.

I saw the new Wonder Woman, and it was very good, but the end bit where they're setting it all up for some inevitably terrible Justice League movie is so disappointing.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 16 Jul 2017 at 08:28 PM.

6. Just saw this, really enjoyed it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Good characters only exist in good stories. When those characters do shit for no reason just to set up a "cool matchup" they cease being real characters. Avengers movies feel like watching the story mode from a fighting game. It's all just nonsense to get to the next fight. Iron Man's presence in Spider-Man: Homecoming worked fine, but Spider-Man getting dragged into The Avengers is going to be the end of any remotely interesting stories for Peter Parker.

Likewise, if you tell a good story, you can build a good character. I just finished reading Marvel's recent run of The Vision, and it's one of the best superhero stories I've read. Just in the events of that story alone, it built an amazing character. But in The Avengers, that same character is just a waste of screentime who I'd never have thought twice about.

I saw the new Wonder Woman, and it was very good, but the end bit where they're setting it all up for some inevitably terrible Justice League movie is so disappointing.
    I thought avengers was up there for good "comic book" movies.
    Check out Mr. Businessman
    He bought some wild, wild life
    On the way to the stock exchange
    He got some wild, wild life

8. Yeah this reads as contrarian old man yells at cloud territory.

I agree Marvel seems to stretch time with some of these movies and in Civil War the fall out between characters didn't feel earned or real (except for maybe Vision crippling War Machine). But I don't blame the concept of a shared universe in general. It just sets up a device to further immerse viewers.

Spider-Man was one of the highlights of that movie, after all.

9. Spider-Man and Ant-Man felt perhaps the least earned of anyone in that movie. They were just tossed in for fanservice and had no part in the plot at all. Their presence added nothing, and if Spider-Man was not already known to the audience as an iconic character, people would have just said "Why the fuck is this guy even here?"

10. Civil War was a bad movie.

It doesn't mean it wasn't a fun experience.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!