Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 212141516171820 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

1. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    This is not proof I'm not getting it.

You're lost in the details. My summary is valid. Its 2 hours of commentary on capitalism run rampant. Humans by Monsanto.

Maybe the two of you don't like that the franchise can be boiled down into two or three sentences, but that is on you. It doesn't mean there is anything else to get. The movies are dumber for the changes they made to the source material.

The question of "what is human" is far more interesting when they are part machine and part human. When they are humans grown in machines with slight alterations to DNA, much of that debate vanishes and instead you're left with a boring dystopia where a company can hold ownership over humans because of copyright and ambiguous interpretations on what constitutes citizenship. Stories about the Ship of Theseus are far more interesting than "hey, capitalism is dicks"
    You're not getting it, because they are not machines. Reviewers tried to call them Androids, when that was never what they were. They are genetically engineered beings that are pretty much programmed by their DNA.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08 Oct 2017 at 10:42 PM.

2. They have fake memories, like Wolverine (noted non-robot)
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You're not getting it, because they are not machines. Reviewers tried to call them Androids, when that was never what they were. They are genetically engineered beings that are pretty much programmed by their DNA.
    Um, yeah. I'm saying they aren't machines which makes the story worse than the source story.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Um, yeah. I'm saying they aren't machines which makes the story worse than the source story.
    I'll just leave this here.

Do you slowpokes think the discussion is still about what a replicant is?

Its moved on to being about how shitty the idea of them being grown slaves is for the franchise.

6. No you’re being dumb to whine about this and slavery and capitalism. This is the setting of the world but the stories of these movies revolve around the human condition and what it means to be human and nihilism and self determinism.
    Why are you reading this? go to your general settings and uncheck the Show Signatures box already!

7. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    Its moved on to being about how shitty the idea of them being grown slaves is for the franchise.
    Did you not see Soldier?

jackingintothewind.gif

Whatever. The book was better.

9. I'm not sure it was.

10. Rutger Hauer wasn't in the book.