Page 18 of 23 FirstFirst ... 414161718192022 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

IP, better than buzzfeed.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Dunlap View Post
    This article is more retarted
    Is it, now?

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

3. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Right.

Eldon Tyrell is a hot shit geneticist engineer who can make super advanced biorobots indistinguishable from people. Pretty much all you need to know.
    I think that, because genetic engineering was such a far-off technology at the time, that the term "biorobot" didn't just read as "clone" in the way it does now. Like, of course the humanity of a "biorobot" might be ambiguous, but it's hard to feel that uncertainty regarding a clone.

Was there an edit of the film that didn't spell it out? Because as mentioned, almost all the other cyberpunk material expresses this with robots and cyborgs.

Battle angel, bubblegum crash, etc robots. Tank police might have been the exception though it was never made clear how the cat girls were made. (Though it was probably in some obscure never translated fan works)

5. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I think that, because genetic engineering was such a far-off technology at the time, that the term "biorobot" didn't just read as "clone" in the way it does now. Like, of course the humanity of a "biorobot" might be ambiguous, but it's hard to feel that uncertainty regarding a clone.
    I never got the impression that replicants were simple clones grown in a lab. The individual biological parts were created ("I just do eyes") and put together ala Frankenstein. So, robots will all organic parts, not clones, IMO.

I don't really care that much either way, however.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 09 Oct 2017 at 12:10 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

That seems like nitpicking. The dna they used had to come from somewhere. It is unlikely that they would start from scratch.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 09 Oct 2017 at 11:17 AM.

7. They start from scratch, to any degree that it matters. Why do you think there are serial numbers?

The cat girls were android love dolls and Buaku (and Greenpeace) in Tank Police were biomechanical air filters.
    Last edited by YellerDog; 09 Oct 2017 at 10:50 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

8. Quote Originally Posted by Fe 26 View Post
    That seems like nitpicking. The dna they used had to come from aomewhere. It is unlikely that would start from scratch.
    Yes, exactly this. Where, without the knowledge of how genetic engineering works, it might have at one time read as "imitating" human life, now it's understood that it would almost certain just be modifying human life, and that distinction seriously reframes the existential questions that are central to the narrative.

The cinematography in this movie is amazing. I definitely enjoyed it but there's no excuse for it to drag on so long. This could have been 45 minutes shorter.

Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    They start from scratch, to any degree that it matters. Why do you think there are serial numbers?

The cat girls were android love dolls and Buaku (and Greenpeace) in Tank Police were biomechanical air filters.
    I don't really beleive they started from scratch. People don't start from scratch when they open a restaurant. The recipes have a starting point from somewhere else. They don't sample 50 types of meat before they settle back on beef for a hamburger.

As complicated as human dna is, it seems unlikely they would just start assembling random shit until they built something like a human. Anything other than starting with samples from the owner or workers or buying a sperm samples or blood bank samples ect seems like nonsense. No one would go to the trouble of starting from scratch.
    Last edited by Fe 26; 09 Oct 2017 at 11:48 AM.