Page 12 of 23 FirstFirst ... 8101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Blade Runner 2049

1. I'm talking about the movies, not the book. In fact the original films press kits specifically described them as A genetically engineered creature composed entirely of organic substance
    Last edited by bbobb; 08 Oct 2017 at 06:14 AM.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

2. I always thought they were like Terminators with robotic parts and organic parts. It makes the "skin-job" slur make a lot more sense.

They never outright say it, it's true, it's just always how it read to me, and they didn't make it explicit.

3. This exchange pretty much says it all:

Tyrell: [Tyrell explains to Roy why he can't extend his lifespan] The facts of life... to make an alteration in the evolvement of an organic life system is fatal. A coding sequence cannot be revised once it's been established.
    Batty: Why not?
    Tyrell: Because by the second day of incubation, any cells that have undergone reversion mutation give rise to revertant colonies, like rats leaving a sinking ship; then the ship... sinks.
    Batty: What about EMS-3 recombination?
    Tyrell: We've already tried it - ethyl, methane, sulfinate as an alkylating agent and potent mutagen; it created a virus so lethal the subject was dead before it even left the table.
    Batty: Then a repressor protein, that would block the operating cells.
    Tyrell: Wouldn't obstruct replication; but it does give rise to an error in replication, so that the newly formed DNA strand carries with it a mutation - and you've got a virus again... but this, all of this is academic. You were made as well as we could make you.
    Batty: But not to last.
    Tyrell: The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long - and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy. Look at you: you're the Prodigal Son; you're quite a prize!
    Batty: I've done... questionable things.
    Tyrell: Also extraordinary things; revel in your time.
    Batty: Nothing the God of biomechanics wouldn't let you into heaven for.

4. It's open to some interpretation, but the book skews more robot and the movie skews more organic so it isn't useful to square the two. Mr. Chew's eyes were made of meat on screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

5. They're biomechanics in the way that CRISPR is biomechanics, just in the BR world you get to buy spare parts and upgrades.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

How does one do that with flesh? It almost seems like lazy writing, looking back.

7. How do transporters work? How do ray guns work? It's future shit, man. They don't have to explain how they do it.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite View Post
    How do transporters work? How do ray guns work? It's future shit, man. They don't have to explain how they do it.
    Right.

Eldon Tyrell is a hot shit geneticist engineer who can make super advanced biorobots indistinguishable from people. Pretty much all you need to know.

And then 2049 deals with the ramifications of that.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    I always thought they were like Terminators with robotic parts and organic parts. It makes the "skin-job" slur make a lot more sense.

They never outright say it, it's true, it's just always how it read to me, and they didn't make it explicit.
    They bio-engineered beings with a shortened lifespan imprinted in the DNA.

They would be easy to detect if they had any robotic parts. That's why they question them to determine if they are human or replicant.

10. Quote Originally Posted by YellerDog View Post
    Sure did!

Though the love scene in the first film is the writing on the wall IMO. The weird violence to it and 'tell me' stuff comes from Deckard and Rachel not feeling the genuine emotions properly but needing to 'act it out' like real humans. They're doing a pantomime of a romantic relationship because that's what they want (or feel obligated to have), but neither of them quite knows how that's supposed to work on account of being Replicants. They do have emotional responses (due to whatever weird model Tyrell made them to be), but they're a bit glitchy and undeveloped about it.
    No it was rape. Rape culture. Toxic masculinity. Rape. Rape.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt