Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2456781020 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. Square seems to be "resting" Deus Ex, as MD didn't sell that well.

That said, a lot of big sequels last year didn't sell that well. Deus Ex, Dishonored, Titanfall, Tomb Raider... All underperformed. I think these games are being rolled out wrong, with a lot of buzz around their announcements and then a total lack of hype around release time. They need to figure this shit out

2. Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

Watch Dogs 2 as well.

The prior games in all those franchises weren't big hits either (well WD1 was). As much as I liked Titanfall and Dishonored I was never going to get hyped for the sequels. I don't even own Dishonored 2. I only got MD because it was on sale.

I think publishers were all hoping for an Assassins Creed situation where the sequel just explodes but it didn't happen.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 14 Feb 2017 at 04:14 PM.

3. Well they need to make a sequel that's as much of a step up over the prior entry as AC2 was over AC. Nearly every one of those was just more of the same instead of actively improving on the flaws of the prior entry. Watch Dogs 2 kind of did (and had the same potential for an AC2 leap), but the first flopped so hard and I felt like they completely missed on the advertising for the sequel that I'm not surprised it ended up not doing so hot.

Give me, say, a new Deus Ex that plays like HR/MD but has a sprawling city where all of the missions take place naturally within instead of separate boxed levels with a full resolution to the story and I'll be all over that shit at full price day one.

4. 6. Yakuza 0

Hard mode. This series has been awfully consistent in each entry being better than the last, I think. While this doesn't hop around as much character-wise as Yakuza 5 did, the origin story plot is definitely better-paced and more engaging, and the side-missions are more entertaining than they've ever been. Adding all of the fighting style variants to the combat was a good move, too. After so many entries it's hard for these games to get particularly tough outside of the endgame gauntlets, and I really wish they'd address that, but it still rules.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Watch Dogs 2 as well.

The prior games in all those franchises weren't big hits either (well WD1 was). As much as I liked Titanfall and Dishonored I was never going to get hyped for the sequels. I don't even own Dishonored 2. I only got MD because it was on sale.

I think publishers were all hoping for an Assassins Creed situation where the sequel just explodes but it didn't happen.
    Watch Dogs 1 was a critical failure with a good amount of backlash. Titanfall also experienced some of that. I think in those cases, even though the sequels were generally liked, the first games had burned their audience. Mirror's Edge was kind of the opposite, a well-loved game, but a sequel that strayed too far, and maybe came too late.

Stuff like Dishonored and DX are different though. Those were critical darlings, and their sequels were too. But they just failed to build momentum the right way. Botched PC launches didn't help, I guess. But I feel like those games got announced too early and hyped too long, and then put up against a lot of other big releases that they didn't have the juice to compete with.
    Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    Give me, say, a new Deus Ex that plays like HR/MD but has a sprawling city where all of the missions take place naturally within instead of separate boxed levels with a full resolution to the story and I'll be all over that shit at full price day one.
    Deus Ex should not have a sprawling city. It's always been about having a densely packed environment with a million paths to explore and small things to find. Diluting that for the sake of a bigger map would be a dire mistake for that series. Leaving it on a cliffhanger was dopey though.
    Last edited by Frogacuda; 16 Feb 2017 at 01:38 AM.

6. Just finished Batman: The Telltale Series.

So yeah, it's a Telltale game, which means it's more or less leaning on its storytelling, with only the barest interactivity. I miss when they made real adventures and all that, but I know what I'm getting at this point.

I was surprised how much I liked it. They played kind of fast and loose with the canon and some of the characters, but in doing so they managed to tell a pretty original story that put Bruce Wayne at the center as much as it did Batman. To that effect, they give Bruce a lot more facetime than most Batman stories, and they make the dichotomy between Bruce and Batman more interesting (i.e. the role and legacy one was born into, and what they create for themselves). The choices don't seem to matter much past a scene or two (though they can lead to some scenes playing out very differently in the short term), but even just as a cartoon mini-series it worked pretty well. I'd be down for another season.

7. Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Watch Dogs 1 was a critical failure with a good amount of backlash. Titanfall also experienced some of that. I think in those cases, even though the sequels were generally liked, the first games had burned their audience. Mirror's Edge was kind of the opposite, a well-loved game, but a sequel that strayed too far, and maybe came too late.

Stuff like Dishonored and DX are different though. Those were critical darlings, and their sequels were too. But they just failed to build momentum the right way. Botched PC launches didn't help, I guess. But I feel like those games got announced too early and hyped too long, and then put up against a lot of other big releases that they didn't have the juice to compete with.

Deus Ex should not have a sprawling city. It's always been about having a densely packed environment with a million paths to explore and small things to find. Diluting that for the sake of a bigger map would be a dire mistake for that series. Leaving it on a cliffhanger was dopey though.
    AC1 burned the audience too. No doubt Ubi was hoping for the same bump with Watch Dogs 2. I think the market is much more saturated and gamers are more critical, which is a shame because WD2 actually is a really good game. Better than AC2, blech.

Titanfall, Deus Ex HR, Dishonored, they were modest hits, but yea, not enough juice to turn them into the mega franchises the developers were hoping.

At least in the case of MD I just don't think the game was good enough. I don't know why the other two didn't do better as they are both good. I don't know what makes a game successful these days. There are so many games coming out and I'm not as enticed by a sequel as I used to be. It's like, yea I liked Twisted Metal so I'll get Twisted Metal 2. Now it's like, I liked Dishonored 1 but do I want to do the same shit for 20 more hours? Ehhh

Maybe it depends on how easy it is for Tumblr to draw the characters fucking.
    Last edited by Diff-chan; 16 Feb 2017 at 09:49 AM.

That's help darkstalkers and overwatch.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Frogacuda View Post
    Why would that be diluted? Why would all those missions that already exist that take place in buildings already in the city in the game be worse off because of being able to actually go up to the building to decide your approach instead of having a walled off drop point? HR had a pretty big city chunk and was no worse off for it, and the integrating of the main offices and the police station with the related missions worked out great.

10. 1. KoToR II
    I know I played this and beat it before. But I remembered almost none of it. Certain areas of the planets and quests were familiar, but I totally do not remember the ending planet or even the ending.
    It's a shame that even with the restored content mod, so much of the game still feels unfinished. I tried to gain influence with everyone, but there just wasn't enough time. I feel like they should have cut some characters since you're not given enough room to develop all of them. I played as a good girl and partied the most with HK and Visas. Disciple seemed really boring. I kept reading about Handmaiden, so I was ultra pissed when I learned that I could only get her if I were a dude. LAME.
    Don't know if it was all PC gaming or if some of it was because of what I was playing the game on, but I had a fuck ton of glitches in the last third. The black screen after movies started up again, and several times the game just froze and crashed on me. It turned me into a save crawler.
    All in all, I spent over 60 hours with the game. Would like to do it again sometime. I didn't really get to know Bao Dur, Goto, or Mira.