Page 8 of 38 FirstFirst ... 46789101222 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. 7. Double Dragon (Famicom)

Yup, this is better than the arcade version. I definitely prefer the look and sound and enemy density of the arcade version, but the Famicom version makes up for it with no slowdown and a way, way less busted elbow attack. It doesn't even work on the final few enemies, lol. And while the platforming segments are clunky (forgetting to jump off rather than walk off a one-foot drop high up on the endgame tower is something else), I think they're short and cool-looking and ultimately add to the game. Cleared with no continues, but I don't think it even has them anyway.

2. 06) Titanfall 2 (PC)
    Not just a very good FPS, but one that mixes things up with some nice wallrun/platforming sequences and of course the Titan mech combat. Played on Regular difficulty as recommended after the training session, but feel that I could've taken Hard mode. Voice acting is good, especially for BT-7274. There's even some well done trash talk from enemy Titans and their pilots. The final boss battle wasn't much harder than the other bosses, but TF2 takes you on a great journey toward its conclusion.

Quote Originally Posted by Tain
    but the Famicom version makes up for it with no slowdown and a way, way less busted elbow attack. It doesn't even work on the final few enemies, lol.
    In DD1 arcade, it seems EVERY enemy will fall for that elbow punch, bar none. On arcade DD2 they actually try to avoid it, and in the PC Engine CD one it's just gone- when Technos made DD2 for NES which this is based on, I guess they thought players abused that move.

3. 3. Trials Fusion (PC)
    Went back through and earned at least a gold in every track in the base game so the progress counter finally reached 100%. Still playing the game of course. This game is fantastic.

4. 07) Doom (PC)
    Played on Ultra Violence.
    08) Lords of the Fallen - Ancient Labyrinth DLC (PC)
    It's a clockwork labyrinth with several rings, and switches to pull to rotate the rings to gain entry to other areas. Instead of monsters, the enemies here are phantoms. At the center of the labyrinth is one tricky boss. He's the Keeper. Hitting him drains his SHIELD, not his life. When his shield is gone, RUN LIKE HELL and get to cover before his 360-degree lightning blast can 1HKO you.

5. Robo Recall

Beaten and at least two stars in every level. Still a lot of stars left to get.

This is the closest thing VR has to a killer app right now. It's still more arcade than AAA in scope (9 missions that take about 10 minutes each and heavily based around score play and various scoring gimmicks), but it's the most polished, best looking VR game, and the mechanics are really fun and encourage creativity. In spirit, it kind of reminds me of the classic arcade era of over-the-top fun games like NBA Jam and Crazy Taxi.

It's also just the game you want to show people when you show them VR. If you only have 10 minutes to sell someone on virtual reality, this is the game that'll do it. The combination of realistic graphics, great physics and interactivity, and crazy shooting is a quick formula for presence.

Planescape: Torment Pretty great stuff. I've picked it up several times over the years, but this the first time I've finished it. Pretty great story to explore, and really great characters. Amazing audio design, too, where you hear the inside of a bar the closer you stand outside, and the score is great. Fantastic voice acting, too (and Sheena Easton?).

Everything about it screams 90's, and 90's angst, though. Which, I suppose, so did PnP Planescape. This is brought out even more by the super 90's renders, which to be fair again, are consistent with the covers of the PnP stuff. I wish there were less dreadlocks and teeth and more of the awesome Diterlizzi art that made those books cool.

My only real complaint, though, is that the AD&D aspects feel dumbed down. Granted, the game is less combat oriented, but there are far less weapons, items (with most being McGuffins) and classes to choose from, and fights are less tactical even than Baldur's Gate and its endless kiting. I feel like this is something the Gold Box games handled much better than the Infinity Engine, but I'm beginning to think I'm not a fan of real-time-with-pause, and would prefer straight-up turn-based play. Most fights felt like it was just a matter of spamming spells faster.

I think I'd definitely like to play this again. I'm certain there's at least one or two characters I didn't get, and several rabbit holes I didn't explore.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

7. 09) Lords of the Fallen (PC) - main game
    Somewhat similar to Dark Souls in a few ways, but maybe a tad easier while still fairly challenging. Some things like the lunge attack and kicking are brought over, and of course the dodge roll. Instead of a custom character, Harkyn- who has his sins tattooed on his face- is doing the demon slaying here. There are no bows but you get the Gauntlet instead. That and various magic spells run on a regen magic meter like Skyrim. Drinking health or other types of potions takes a few seconds and can leave you open to getting hit, but you can abort with the dodge-roll.

The XP building is like DS's soul count with a couple changes. There's a multiplier that increases when enemies are killed but it resets when health potions are refilled at a checkpoint or bank the XP. Dying causes your ghost to drop near where you died, but a major change from Dark Souls is that the ghost can vanish if you don't retrieve it in time- or it can be worth jack if you take very long.

A crafter can break seals on runes you've found, and it's possible to bet XP for a chance at the runes being higher quality. Some weapons or armor can be socketed with runes for effects like Poison/Fire DoT, stealing health from enemies, or improved resistances. The explosive gauntlet is amazing when it has a poison rune in it- it leaves a fairly big toxic cloud on the floor that saps the enemies' vitality. I had played as a rogue using the Deception magic. Shields can be used offensively to rush at the enemy and clonk them in hopes of a stagger.

Very high textures will require about 6 GB VRAM, but LOTF looks quite good at max graphic settings. Nvidia APEX Turbulence puts out some decent particle effects. Overall it's quite atmospheric with some nice lighting effects. I had some problems with recurring crashes, but setting it to use borderless fullscreen windowed fixed that problem.

Gravitated to the PC Engine while my fiancee plays Breath of the Wild. I beat Star Parodier, Final Soldier, and Ys 3 so far.

9. 8. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Nice to enjoy a Zelda game again. There's no shortage of praise around and I don't think I have many unique takes on this game. The open world is excellent, dense, and legitimately mysterious, and it takes the player a nice, loooong time before they feel seams of repetition. The character progression works excellently alongside the extreme fragility of the gear, keeping the game's items consistently satisfying and allowing for cool critical hits on weapon break. The lack of overwrought tutorial dialogue is also super, super welcome, and there are some great shrine puzzles every once in a while. Unfortunately the combat is a little plain, the extreme lack of enemy variety is a bummer, and the shrines and Divine Beasts ultimately left me craving larger, beefier dungeons that would give players increasingly complex puzzles and battles. I think the developers have their work cut out for them for a successor: this same game structure and ecosystem but with more enemy variety and a full set of the kinds of dungeons you'd expect from a 3D Zelda game would be wonderful.
    Last edited by Tain; 18 Mar 2017 at 02:29 AM.

10. hey, I actually beat a game! Shovel Knight! it was awesome!

making this probably the first game I completed in over a year! (hello Undertale, xmas '15)
    Last edited by Toupee; 21 Mar 2017 at 02:13 PM.