Page 22 of 38 FirstFirst ... 81820212223242636 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

4. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS)

110+ hours, 36.88% completion. That's with 101 shrines and 189 Koroks. I remember reading how the completion is calculated, but I still thought it would be higher. I guess it's time to listen to that spoilercast to see if there's anything really worth going back to see.

2. There isn't.
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

3. 10. Picross 3D Round 2 (3DS)

This game was so goddamn good. The puzzles were more interesting and expressive (mostly) than the first game's and they were plentiful. I'm not turning it on right now to confirm but I think it was 368 puzzles. Collected all the Rainbow Medals, it stayed mostly the same difficulty until the final puzzle which was a big spike, leaving me wishing there were more puzzles of its size afterwards. I don't have anything to say against this game except that I didn't know it existed until I stumbled upon it randomly one day so -1 point from perfection for poor marketing.

4. 1. Persona Q.

Loved, LOVED, LOVED!! this game. I put 120 hours into it, 40 of which was easily messing around with Persona builds- which I did so much of because I was having fun doing it. I spent the last two dungeons one shot-ing mobs and taking out FOEs as soon as I came across them within two turns, sometimes within one if the stars aligned correctly. I took out the two final boss forms within 2 turns.
    I kinda want to new game+ it with the Persona 4 quest line and set to a harder mode. But the backlog is soooo huge. I just can't justify it.
    Definitely looking forward to PQ2.
    Oh, definitely don't play this for the story. At times it seems like two people were hired to write one side of a dialog while never knowing what the other person was writing. But the dungeons were fun, almost too easy. I much prefer that to obnoxious backtracking and crossing lanes you've already been over so you can easily lose yourself like some dungeon crawlers (Dungeon Travelers 2 for example, I am so close to beating it but the last dungeon is incredibly obtuse).

5. 20. Sonic Mania

Played on Switch. As everyone's been saying, this perfectly nails the goal of being some long-lost Saturn-powered successor to Sonic 3 & Knuckles. It's bigger than I remember that game being, yet it has even more variety. The boss battles are constantly spectacular and while there are some weak ones (like always), you will at the very least have a huge dumb smile on your face during the great ones (an early one made me straight-up shout with excitement). The aesthetics, which are a big deal in this series, are spot on: the sprites look like the MD ones but with smoother animation, the backgrounds are full of neat visual tricks, the special stages couldn't look more VDP2, all of the visuals are delivered through an excellent CRT filter, and the music is perfect.

The issues I have with the game, then, are largely the same as with others in the series: while these games certainly reward skilled play by letting you blast through these huge levels at high speed, I think I'd like them more if they were a little more challenging at the ground floor. The boss fights are probably a bit rougher in this game than in the others, but the stages rarely have any tricky or tense stretches. Also, I'm kinda surprised that the game lets you collect all the chaos emeralds so freely. Given the numerous special stage entrances you'd think that they'd be the obvious natural encouragement to explore these big zones, but the game's save system undermines that a bit.

Of course, these aren't massive issues and the game is still dope, just like the others. I'm wondering how different the Knuckles route will be, and I'm wondering what some of these other Extras are (I still have a lot of the Blue Sphere stages to clear). This has definitely made me want to revisit 3&K, but more importantly, I think I finally need to give Sonic CD a real shot.
    Last edited by Tain; 21 Aug 2017 at 12:16 AM.

6. Quote Originally Posted by Pineapple View Post
    8. USF4 (PC)
    Finally got around to the C to Shining C achievement, for the third and final time. I still love this game, certainly more than 5 and enough that I still enjoy playing it regularly. Been having a lot of great matches with kedawa lately, if anyone else ever feels the itch just let me know and we will fightmans.
    Definitely. I've been playing it off and on between playing PUBG and Heroes of the Storm. I'll try to catch you for sure.

I haven't posted at TNL in a while. I had to move to a small apartment and massively downsized my game collection for space reasons (gotta love that Vancouver cost of living) but it's been a great year for current gen games. Here's what I finished in 2017 so far:

The Last Guardian
    As expected from Team Ico, it's both clunky and super charming. Worth it for fans.

Nier: Automata
    I don't know if I want to do the multiple playthroughs to see everything yet (maybe later on) but the first trek through was great, and with smoother action than the first game.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
    15 years ago, this is almost exactly what I wanted to see in an open world Zelda game. Tons of people said it was a horrible idea. I'm glad Nintendo went this ambitious route. It's an awesome game aside from the ridiculous amount of weapon breakage and horse controls.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap
    A beautiful remake of one of the best games ever. I don't think they should have taken out the item combo that makes you invincible, though. I never use it but it's part of the original. Not that I should care about reviews but I'm a little annoyed this ranks lower than many current gen indie games in the subgenre.

Uncharted 4
    I enjoyed this more than 1 to 3, mostly because the combat was more strategic. The more serious story also worked for me. And that city car chase was awesome since it didn't feel like it was on rails.

Prey
    The true System Shock 3. This might be my favourite game this gen.

Horizon: Zero Dawn
    I loved exploring this world. Taking down those dinos was satisfying.

The Last of Us: Left Behind
    Okay but it has barely any gameplay. I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

Mass Effect: Andromeda
    I went into this with low expectations. The characters and story are forgettable and the faces look retarded. It's a solid third-person shooter/adventure on its own, though. And it was cool having land vehicles again. I think this game's better than its reputation.

Rise of the Tomb Raider
    It's no classic TR but it has some important improvements over TR 2013. The combat isn't super easy this time so exploring to upgrade items actually serves a purpose.

Sonic Mania
    It's too early to rank its exact place alongside the classics but it's easily the best Sonic since the Genesis. Studiopolis' music is always in my head. I never want to see Sonic 3-style bonus rounds again, though. Who the hell thought overdosing on those was a good idea?

Uncharted: Lost Legacy
    I think this probably my favourite Uncharted game. It has the best pacing, the most strategic fights, the hardest puzzles (not that that says much), and Chloe > Nathan.

Now I need to get back to the Leynos remake, Slain, Republique, Aragami, Darius Burst, and Gravity Rush 2. Persona 5 was cool but I always lose interest in those before the end. I sold mine for more than I bought it for but maybe I will go back to it.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 26 Aug 2017 at 01:28 PM.

8. Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    Prey
    The true System Shock 3. This might be my favourite game this gen.

You're damn right

5. Hitman (2016, PC)

Name:  ce3446b076cd4320ab04971e4dbfc48757c62e1d.jpg
Views: 342
Size:  2.5 KB

I don't know why it took me so long to attempt the final level, but, like the rest of them, it's a very good one. I cannot stress enough how much better this game is than anything that has ever been released under the Assassin's Creed brand. If you've been wasting your time and money on those, you owe it to yourself to see how much better Io does it. When you do, turn off the hand-holding. The bittersweet part is that now Io needs to find a new home to do it again.

Welcome back, NeoZ! Impressions are on point. I'm so far behind with current gen. D=