Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 22323435363738 LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

He's not going to be able to write off videogames as a business expense anymore? Poor baby.

2. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    A podcast doesn't. If Retronauts just wants to talk about games they played as kids, then cool. But there's a difference between an enthusiast, off-the-cuff "Let's talk about the things we like" podcast and publishing historicizing statements like "Mario and Ghosts n Goblins co-invented the 2D platformer."

And even in those published statements, he can't be expected to know or even fact check everything. That's what editors are for. Or should be for.

None of this changes his response to NZ being childish and totally bizarre, though.
    Right which is why I said you're going to make something about the history of things. I should have specified I meant more than just a podcast. If you're putting out published, written work, that is meant as this is what happened, you need more than your first hand experience.

Also recording a bunch of podcasts at once seems absolutely fucking ridiculous. My podcast and I'm sure MANY, MANY others record with people all in different places. It's really not that hard or expensive. Plus I would imagine you'd be fucking burnt out by hour 6 and the quality of the podcasts would suffer.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

3. 23) Syndicate (PC/2012 FPS)
    Finished on Hard difficulty. The combat in this cyberpunk/corporate war themed FPS is what F.E.A.R. 3 should have had, complete with the slow-motion. Your DART system has some "applications"- they can force an enemy to commit suicide, make his weapon backfire, or persuade him to fight for you. Hacking, called Breaching, can be used on things such as drones, gun turrets, power rerouting, elevators, an enemy's armor, etc. Enemy grenades can be defused and then taken. A kickass selection of weapons can be picked up such as the Minigun which will totally shred enemies, the Thermite flamethrower (love it, especially seeing the enemies writhe and scream before going down), Gauss guns with lock-on, and the coil laser that burns enemies from the inside. Gore is done well, with dismemberment and charred corpses. Don't worry if you accidentally (deliberately? ) shoot a civilian. Rampages are kill chains that help recharge the special powers faster. Avalable upgrades for DART let you give more damage and take less, carry more ammo, breach faster, etc.

Overall the enemy AI has some good tactics. Also there are some truly challenging bosses. One of them will launch homing RPGs at you that must be breached to send them back at him. The final boss is like a SNK one, and even has an SDM- a 10-grenade spam that can kill you instantly. Be ready to kick in the DART overlay to slow time & run like hell.

Syndicate is a solid FPS that deserved a better reception than it got. Maybe the hate came from it being a genre switch? The original 16-bit Syndicate is an overhead tactical shooter, like Satellite Reign.

Respect the Thermite gun. Never let go until it's spent.

4. DOOM (2016)

Played in handheld mode on the Switch. I have to say, it's pretty incredible playing a current-gen AAA FPS like this on a handheld. While it's undoubtedly the weakest version of the game, it manages to be "good enough" and it's really one of the best looking games on the system. Yes, the framerate seriously chugs in certain places, but it's great most of the time and by far the best handheld FPS I've ever played.

The game itself is great. I'm sorry I slept on it so long. It really did a much better job of capturing the spirit of the classic DOOM than I expected. Yeah, it throws crazy enemy counts at you and it's mostly action, but it does have a real exploration component too that I didn't expect. Really intense game, that really got my heartrate up. Maybe a little longer than it needed to be though.

5. Quote Originally Posted by gameoverDude View Post
    Maybe the hate came from it being a genre switch?
    That is exactly why and people are stupid. It's really good, and slick looking too.

I really enjoyed the Syndicate FPS. I can understand why people were unhappy, though. There hadn't been new Syndicate in the style of the old games in a while whereas first-person shooters were common.

7. Yeah, same thing that happened to that XCOM spin off. You can't do a spin off like that while ignoring the main series.

8. Bloodborne - All bosses. Missed a couple NPC interactions, but I finally finished a Souls game.
    Boo, Hiss.

9. 14. Plague Inc (PC)

Took about 20 tries but I finally killed the entire planet with a strain of bacteria called Alpha Death! Really had to focus on transmission and getting the entire planet affected before investing in lethal mutations. Beating the game unlocked Virus as a starting option, so I gave that a shot and ended up beating it on the first try. That unlocked Fungus as the next one, and there are a few more left to beat it with as well. Fun time killer.

10. 32. What Remains of Edith Finch

This was solid. I haven't played a lot of "walking sims", but this was well-written, pretty, and consistently interesting as it takes you from family member to family member and freak accident to freak accident. Lewis' story was a standout.