Page 38 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2434363738

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I brought my 3DS with twenty-one games, my Vita with whatever is loaded on it, and eight books to my parents' house for a one week stay. I don't know why I keep doomsday prepping for short visits. I read about a half a book and played Vice: Project Doom on my stepfather's Raspberry Pi for an hour or two.

6. Vice: Project Doom

is pretty good! There are stages toward the end where it just kind of vomits enemies on you, resulting in damage only avoidable if you crawl through two pixels at a time. The sloppier option is to hold right and gun it for the end, taking a beating throughout. The last enemy before the boss always drops health, so you'll get most of your bar back.

What it lacks in thoughtful enemy placement it makes up in sword(whip?)feel. Everything about the primary weapon-its overhead and back coverage, its speed, its lack of recovery, its sound-is awesome.

Maybe not a great game but it's the best of the merely very good games. A cut below Shatterhand and Batman but above Kabuki.
    I've had a similar habit but have tried to get better about it. I left the games at home this time but still brought 20 books on spc.

I probably didn't need them all but life being life, I'd needed the books I left had I left them. I will probably only read 1 of them .

2. Y'all are weird. I take a backpack for a month away.
    Boo, Hiss.

3. 7. Final Fight 3

More Pi Times. Co-op'd with a buddy. I've heard about how good the SNES FF sequels are for years, largely from Tain and I think Gohan. And, yeah, this thing is pretty good! The sprites are approaching Neo Geo/Saturn quality, my goodness. It's a bit broken, but that's part of the charm. That special moves like Guy's fireball build rather than consume resources made the game a cakewalk. Limited resources keeping the number of enemies on screen manageable deflated some of the tension, too. Absolutely one of the more enjoyable beat 'em ups on a system with no shortage of good beat 'em ups, though.

4. FF3 isn't something I've beaten but always seemed pretty good. Had it sitting around for a bit!

Final Fight 2 and 3 felt like straight-to-video movie sequels to me (as did Golden Axe 2). They're certainly worth playing but forgettable compared to the original. I haven't played them recently, though. Maybe I will think differently now.

6. 25) F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn (PC)
    Finished on Hard difficulty. It would have been better with 2 or 3 more levels, but it's still a good expansion for F.E.A.R. 2. Playing as Replica soldier Foxtrot 813 makes for an interesting twist on the story. WB Games should have had Monolith develop F.E.A.R. 3 instead of Day 1.

26) Mutation Nation (PS4)
    3023300, 1CC (Hi-score mode).

Final Fight 2 & 3 are lacking in challenge, with their 3 enemy limit & weak AI. Golden Axe 2 is better in that regard, with 4 enemies on screen at once that are more aggressive and will try to double-team you from both sides. The one thing I find a bit lame in GA2 is the death sound for most enemies. "Bleh"... That's it? LOL, ridiculous. It'd be better if Sega just sampled the ones from the arcade GA1 instead.
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 31 Dec 2017 at 10:31 PM.

7. Firewatch.

The ending is a bit disappointing. Unless you want to say that the central mystery is disappointing. Or you could say everything after the opening is disappointing. Because the opening is The Best. Unless adopting a turtle is The Best.
    Boo, Hiss.