Page 1 of 38 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. Nier

This was... mostly solid? The combat and the puzzles are janky and/or really simple (it feels like there's some specific solution to many of these rooms that can be worked around by doing incredibly basic and obvious things), and there's a lot of that stuff, but it's not unbearable and there's a good amount to like outside of it. The music is beautiful, and sometimes so are the environments. The plot is fairly interesting, too, as everyone says. And the bullet hell aesthetic (it goes no deeper than that) is neat-looking!

2. 01) Mass Effect 2 (PC)
    Played on Veteran and did all DLCs, with the ALOT texture mod installed. Jane Shepard (Ruthless/Spacer/Soldier) and most of the teammates made it. Those who survived were loyal except Miranda. During the dust-up between her and Jack, I didn't get the Paragon or Renegade options, meaning I had to tell off one or the other. So Miranda got bitched out. OTOH, Kasumi and the Normandy crew save for Joker bit the dust. Jack's shockwave and pull powers are a lot of fun to use. So is Shepard's adrenaline shot "bullet time" when used with a sniper rifle.

It's solid. The gunplay and cover mechanics are spot on, along with the power system that lets you freeze the action for a moment to order your teammates to use a certain ability. The length is decent at about 40+ hours if you do everything.

3. I like the title of this thread, as I am working through that game now.

4. 2. Hitman: The Complete First Season

This has been an awesome game. There aren't a ton of missions, but whats present are huge, dense, and ultimately the best in the series (better than Blood Money). I think that focusing on a single difficulty level has worked to the game's benefit, too, as it's pretty rare that you can cheese out a combat-heavy success now. There's so much optional and extra stuff to do in each mission, too, and the Elusive Target missions are particularly exciting. Season 2 should rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    1. Nier

This was... mostly solid? The combat and the puzzles are janky and/or really simple (it feels like there's some specific solution to many of these rooms that can be worked around by doing incredibly basic and obvious things), and there's a lot of that stuff, but it's not unbearable and there's a good amount to like outside of it. The music is beautiful, and sometimes so are the environments. The plot is fairly interesting, too, as everyone says. And the bullet hell aesthetic (it goes no deeper than that) is neat-looking!
    Neir is definitely bigger than the sum of its parts. And the game mechanics are a bit simple for the first half. I hope to see more little weird things like the dream village in the sequel. The little weird touches are really what makes it stand out.

I hate to hype it, because if you go in looking for all the little things, they aren't that great. The game is barely not a good bad game.

6. It's a fine game that everyone thinks is a broken piece of shit because they form their opinions through other people's and can't imagine a Japanese game without kojima'a fat face behind it possibly being good. And that one fishing spot no one could find even though it was marked on the map. i was so fucking angry i almost stopped playing right there

7. All I remember about Nier is fishing. Lots of fishing.

8. FFXV needs more "SHHHH. YOU'RE SCARING THE FISH AWAY."

9. It certainly needs less "DON'T YOU THINK YOU SHOULD CHANGE THE LINE NOCTIS?!" every 10 seconds. "TURN THE ROD TOWARDS THE FISH!"

10. 1. Volgarr the Viking (babby ending). Took about 10 total hours.

This is without a doubt one of the best 2D platformers ever. How did it dodge all of the mechanical landmines that would have brought it down to mere "good for a retro game" status?

- Recovery frames after a jumping sword/spear attacks alone would have made it only an okay game.

- Stopping forward momentum while sword attacking alone would have made it only an okay game.

- Allowing forward momentum while spear attacking alone would have made it only an okay game.

- Limiting spear attacks to one per jump alone would have made it only an okay game.

- Not being able to instantly spear attack after jumping alone would have made it only an okay game.

- More difficult bosses alone would have made it only an okay game.

And, of course, allowing midair control of jump trajectory alone, that is, jumping Mario style as opposed to GnG style, would have made it only an okay game.

The only small unpleasantness was in playing it with that gross, shallow Xbone dpad, which feels better-equipped to adjust the side mirrors of my car than push around a big, beefy viking. I want to play this on my Vita so bad.