Page 35 of 38 FirstFirst ... 21313334353637 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. So we aren't good enough for you three now?
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.

I think we have been multi-board sluts for TNL's whole existence.

3. I suppose seeing the same games being discussed that we've discussed for the last 20 years but seeing a different name and avatar attached to the discussion has its charm.

Yeah, TNL has had multiple Sharp X68000 threads over the years. I felt a new place interested in that kind of stuff could use one.

Back to game completing, I finished Echo on PS4. I recommend it for fans of stealth games and creepy science-fiction. The beginning's a bit too much of a slow tutorial but it picks up after that. It gets a little repetitive as you're fighting clones of yourself but the way they would see and copy your moves made it feel fresh. It's not one of 2017's best games but it is an overlooked one.

5. I feel like I gotta plug Macaw45's twitch when talking about Old Game Shit. He's constantly digging up stuff I've never heard of, from vector.co.jp archives to Taiwanese MS-DOS Cabal clones to Acorn Archemedes action-platformers, and he's giving them legit focused playthroughs and is really knowledgeable about 2D action games in general. He's also very excited about everything, which I get can be off-putting to some but I'm fine with it.

Retronauts is okay. It's well-produced, and I think Mackey is a pretty good host actually. The recent Hypercard episode was particularly focused and well-done, with a ton of interesting personal experience combined with solid history, but episodes can feel like sterile series overviews mixed with not-very-interesting personal histories (Wonder Boy episode for example). "Nintendonauts" is not an unfair moniker, but I've enjoyed some of their Nintendo-focused episodes.
    Last edited by Tain; 01 Dec 2017 at 11:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    I feel like I gotta plug Macaw45's twitch when talking about Old Game Shit.
    Thanks for that. It looks like has covered a crazy variety of stuff from various regions.

7. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Holy.

shit.

I really like Jeremy Parish but this response is juvenile.

If you're going to historicize a genre, you are expected to know the history of that genre. Knowing about Pac Land isn't an unreasonable expectation. It was a milestone and part of a franchise whose merchandise you can buy at any Target. Neo Zeed has access to some deep cuts, but this isn't one.

Some people historicize not only stuff they couldn't afford to own, but stuff that existed and happened even before they were born! Crazy, I know!

"Well sorrrr-eeeeee I didn't include Arthur Conan Fucking Doyle in my history of the mystery novel when I claimed it was co-invented by Jessica Fletcher and a Hardy Boy. Not all of us could afford Sherlock Holmes anthologies. You don't think I wanted to? Check your priv."

Edit:ah crap ssjn beat me.
    I don't get the argument though. Sure if this was childhood Parish making this podcast, sure ok I understand. This is a grown ass man, with a decent enough paying job, who probably has had ample opportunity to go back and play those consoles and games he missed, but he's deciding to stay to what he knows. If you're going to make something about the history of X, research X, find out what's going on there, it has to be more than just your first hand experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    When anyone from TNL wants to do something, that part of it goes without saying.
    I'm part of a comic book podcast that actually gets published every week. Though we try to get it up there by Sunday sometimes it doesn't come till monday.
    Last edited by Shin Johnpv; 01 Dec 2017 at 08:10 PM.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

I wish you guys would get back into pod casts. I really enjoyed the ones everyone made.

I feel like yoshi and I arguing like 12 year olds about sonic soured it. Sorry guys. I don't know why sonic turns so many into hostile preteens.

9. Quote Originally Posted by Shin Johnpv View Post
    it has to be more than just your first hand experience.
    A podcast doesn't. If Retronauts just wants to talk about games they played as kids, then cool. But there's a difference between an enthusiast, off-the-cuff "Let's talk about the things we like" podcast and publishing historicizing statements like "Mario and Ghosts n Goblins co-invented the 2D platformer."

And even in those published statements, he can't be expected to know or even fact check everything. That's what editors are for. Or should be for.

None of this changes his response to NZ being childish and totally bizarre, though.

10. Parrish tweeted that he's recording a bunch of podcasts this weekend and he may be pissy because of the tax bill.

Sometimes I crack me up.