Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1020222324252628 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. 21. Ys: Memories of Celceta

Follows in the footsteps of Ys VII, making some smart changes to the core combat mechanics and beefing up the presentation. Flash Guard now has its own button and doubles as a latent defensive move that cuts off some damage even if you have bad timing, and standard attacks auto-charge, for example. The forest world map gives you a bit more of a sense of an open adventure than any of the prior games, and this is flexed a bit with more quests, but it's still relatively focused. Great music and enemy designs, as always.

Bafflingly, though, there are no limits on healing items. Prior games would cap out how many of each kind of healing item you could carry, which helped keep the boss fights fairly tense, but that's totally absent here and it deflates the bosses in this game a lot (assuming you don't prep your first playthrough around this). It's enough to drag the game down below Ys VI, I'd say. The original version on Vita is also a bit too ambitious for the hardware, running at a sub-native resolution with extremely inconsistent performance. Won't be an issue with the inevitable PC re-port, though.

2. The Witcher 3 (PC): I lost my 1st game when I upgraded from Windows 7 to 10. My old character was @ level 13, before it got nuked. My second time playing it accounted for @ 109 hours and my character was at level 34. I plan on revisiting the game through the game save before the final chapter. Such a great RPG!

3. Batman (Telltale) - PS4

Probably the worst of the Telltale games that I've played - I really didn't care for the multiple (stupid) plot "twists" and, even for a Telltale game, there wasn't a whole lot of "action" to the story. I didn't hate it but I was disappointed.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    21. Ys: Memories of Celceta

It's enough to drag the game down below Ys VI, I'd say. T
    I have to disagree with this with the strongest of convictions. Just don't stock up on a lot of healing items. Nothing like that can save VI from the garbage that it is.
    Where I play
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolemite
    I've changed my mind about Korian. Anyone that can piss off so many people so easily is awesome. You people are suckers, playing right into his evil yellow hands.

5. It's been a few years and I remember not being terribly thrilled with Ys VI, so you could be right.

definitely worse than VII though

6. Finished all the story missions in Just Cause 3. It was ok. 6/10.
    Boo, Hiss.

6. Professor Layton vs. Phoenix Wright, Ace Attorney (3DS)

This game is way too long. I enjoyed, but I think I would have enjoyed it more at 10-15 hours than ~25. It's been a while since I have played through an Ace Attorney game, and I have never played a Layton one, but I don't recall the former being so drawn out. I wonder if they felt as though they needed to cram the equivalent of a full game from each series in there.

8. 22. Cuphead

It's really good! It's gorgeous in a specific way that is unlike any game I've seen. Every boss fight is inventive and extremely memorable (both for aesthetic reasons and because you're forced to learn them inside and out). There's just the right amount of randomization here, with bosses selecting from a surprising amount of unique behaviors. Many of their attacks are designed around generating additional smaller enemies or objects with their own unique behavior, showcasing yet more incredible animation and helping the players immediately understand the underlying logic of the attack phase.

The run and gun levels are a step down from the bosses (I mean, aren't they often?), and they mostly make me wish that they were integrated with the bosses in a more cohesive and tense way (I would have been fine with slightly easier stages and bosses if the player would occasionally have to plow through both in one life). Still, even though they all end in a wet noodle of a red signpost and the narrator yelling "BRAVO", they're pretty good and allow the game to showcase more small enemies and movement tricks.

I've been trying to decide if I like this more than Volgarr. I can't tell yet. I definitely enjoyed it more than Shovel Knight, though, when talking about action-platformers of the past few years.

holy shit, you've beat it? I'm still having trouble with the clown and dragon.

10. I had my first complete slob weekend in a little while and I spent it mostly playing Cuphead lol