Page 32 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1828303132333436 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. Doom 2016 is great, it grew on me from being 'pretty good' to being 'awesome, one of the best shooters ever' (still think 'best' is hyperbole, I wouldn't put it above its predecessors)

I have to start my Nightmare run again, there was a bug a few versions ago that would change your difficulty if you tried Arcade mode while currently in a campaign on that profile.
    Last edited by Joust Williams; 26 Nov 2017 at 11:59 AM.

Original Doom is still the best FPS ever, but 2016 is up there. New Order was great too, and Wolf 2 looks even more badass. I'm not a huge fps fan but if Bethesda keeps cranking out great single player games then they can keep taking my money.

3. 31. Metroid II - Return of Samus

This was better than I expected. I adjusted to the zoomed-in camera pretty quickly, and I think that the sectioned-off structure was a good choice given the lack of a map. The visuals are solid and the environments stay kinda distinct in spite of the hardware limitations, and the additional mobility (both base and after upgrades) makes the world more enjoyable to explore and fight in than in the original. The final few battles were pretty solid fights, even!

4. 22) Hard Reset Redux (PS4)
    Score: 8,735 Difficulty: Insane

Got all the NRG weapon & combat gear upgrades on this playthrough. HR Redux is a bit easier (there's a dodge that isn't in the original Hard Reset, just tap the run button while moving left/right) so it's best to set the difficulty 1 level higher than you would on the original. Extra enemies turn up in some places- the Spectre aircraft will show up sooner. One new enemy is a cyber-zombie, and there's a katana found a few missions in. It can save a little ammo, but it's not really needed.

The frame rate does a good job of staying at 60 most of the time. During the final boss fight on Insane, even the PS4 Pro has a little trouble keeping up. Dozens of enemies flood the area and the frame rate tanks to about 30. Noticeable, but not enough to be a real distraction.

It's not a bad port of the PC game, and works well with Hori's TAC Pro.

5. Quote Originally Posted by Joust Williams View Post
    Doom 2016 is great, it grew on me from being 'pretty good' to being 'awesome, one of the best shooters ever' (still think 'best' is hyperbole, I wouldn't put it above its predecessors)

I have to start my Nightmare run again, there was a bug a few versions ago that would change your difficulty if you tried Arcade mode while currently in a campaign on that profile.
    Still working my way through this, but yeah, it's genuinely great. I slept on it when it came out because it seemed like it was leaning too hard on gore and enemy count, but I was wrong. It's brilliant, and worthy of the legacy.

This game is cardio. At the end of some of these fights my heart is beating out of my chest, even playing on the little Switch screen. Also pleasantly surprised to see the level design isn't totally linear and it still has some of the exploration and secret-hunting of the original.

6. Doom is fantastic and I'm so happy that it and Serious Sam 3, imo the two best FPS campaigns of the decade so far, are getting/have gotten good VR releases. I guess Doom VFR could suck since it's a new campaign, but I'm hopeful.

7. I'm still a bit pissed off Doom never got single player DLC. That ending was extremely unsatisfying. Maybe the only mark against what's otherwise a spectacular game.
    Boo, Hiss.

gotta get you to buy doom 2 day 1, man.

9. Quote Originally Posted by icarusfall View Post
    I'm still a bit pissed off Doom never got single player DLC. That ending was extremely unsatisfying. Maybe the only mark against what's otherwise a spectacular game.
    Too true about the ending. I wouldn't have minded giving them another $30 for 7 more missions.

10. I actually don’t want to replay it until the sequel is about to come out as that ending annoyed me too much as well. Its really too bad since it was an awesome game
    You sir, are a hideous hermaphroditical character which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman.