Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 233335363738 LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel - This was one behemoth of a JRPG. I clocked 80 hours into this, and did the majority of the side quests, except for the fishing ones. This game seemed like 40 hours of characters talking and 40 hours of actual gameplay, but I loved every minute of it. There were some very nice twists at the end, that I didn't see coming, and I'm really looking forward to playing the sequel someday. The only thing I didn't like about the game was that they threw in a new play mechanic while fighting the final boss...basically making all the time I spent building up my characters pretty useless...I really hate it when games do that.

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon (DS) - The release of Fire Emblem Warrior got me playing some of the old games so that I could figure out just who all these people are, and I finally went though Shadow Dragon, the remake of the first one. I tried to play through it long ago but got bored about 9 chapters in. This is probably my least favorite Fire Emblem, but that's kind of unfair since it was the original game, and other than graphics and difficulty tweaking they didn't add anything from later games into it to spice up the combat any. It is much shorter than other games, and I had a good time with it. It was also the first time I abused the arenas to level up my guys, so most of my characters spent the last 5 or so chapters as maxed out gods which totally breaks the game. Marth walked right up to the last boss and the boss's attacks kept missing.

Chronologically, Echoes/Gaiden would be next, I may start it up now.

3. 24) F.E.A.R. 2 - Project Origin (PC)
    Finished the hard difficulty. This gives up some things that I like about the first one (dual wield MP-970 machine pistols, leaning around corners), while still adding some nice new features like Replica powered armor joyrides, better environments/lighting, & the laser which burns up its battery all too quick, only to make up for it by totally slicing enemies. Taking out three or more enemies with one use of slow-mo never gets boring. Nathan Grigg's BGM for this is every bit as good as the first one's soundtrack, with the garage battle theme making a welcome return.

Morales' trash talk towards the Replica soldiers when you're on an APC turret blasting them to hell is awesome. "Sit the fuck down!", "I can keep shredding you fuckers all day!", & "Just... fucking DIE!!!" (you have to hear this one for yourself in game, nice delivery on that line) are gold. LOL. The rest of the voice acting is excellent, with Mark Lund returning as the Replica soldiers & Jen Taylor as Lt. Keira Stokes.
    The final boss, Keegan, is a tough bastard. Quite a change when a lot of FPS have a terribly easy one.

F.E.A.R. 3 isn't bad. Just be sure to lower your expectations a bit if you're playing it after this one. I liked 3 but was slightly disappointed with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedEater
    I really enjoyed the Syndicate FPS. I can understand why people were unhappy, though. There hadn't been new Syndicate in the style of the old games in a while whereas first-person shooters were common.
    This exactly. I wanted a sequel to it so bad. If it were given another name, maybe it would've done better.

Submerged (PS4)
    This has zero depth or challenge. You just roam and climb buildings with no danger of falling. And it's super short. Still, it's beautiful and relaxing so I liked it on atmosphere alone for the few dollars it cost from the current Sony sale.

5. I "played" that last year and felt the same. I had fun exploring and really liked the music. But was ready for it to be done by the time it was.

Virginia (PS4)
    Another short walking sim-ish thing. It was okay, suspenseful at first but by the end I was like "this is getting pretentious, let's wrap it up". Excellent orchestral music, though.

7. 33. TIS-100

Pretty fun exercise in assembly, which isn't exactly my wheelhouse. Sparse but kinda neat presentation with a neat little conspiracy theme tied to it, and the image-related puzzles late in the game are particularly fun. Watching your convoluted mess of nodes churn through the inputs and give the correct outputs for the first time is super satisfying, and optimizing it afterwards can be pretty fun too! Didn't finish up everything, though.
    Last edited by Tain; 24 Dec 2017 at 06:35 PM.

8. I brought my 3DS with twenty-one games, my Vita with whatever is loaded on it, and eight books to my parents' house for a one week stay. I don't know why I keep doomsday prepping for short visits. I read about a half a book and played Vice: Project Doom on my stepfather's Raspberry Pi for an hour or two.

6. Vice: Project Doom

is pretty good! There are stages toward the end where it just kind of vomits enemies on you, resulting in damage only avoidable if you crawl through two pixels at a time. The sloppier option is to hold right and gun it for the end, taking a beating throughout. The last enemy before the boss always drops health, so you'll get most of your bar back.

What it lacks in thoughtful enemy placement it makes up in sword(whip?)feel. Everything about the primary weapon-its overhead and back coverage, its speed, its lack of recovery, its sound-is awesome.

Maybe not a great game but it's the best of the merely very good games. A cut below Shatterhand and Batman but above Kabuki.

Yes, fits in perfectly with those games.

You can run along a girder that a werewolf throws at you 10/10

By late '91, Vice: PD felt like more of the same, almost an amalgamation of every big NES action game before it. Replaying it years later, I loved it as I was no longer burnt out on those. It doesn't have the historical impact but I think it's one of the system's better action platformers.

Speaking of NES platformers, I replayed Rescue Rangers 1 and 2, and Duck Tales on Disney Afternoon Collection for PS4. Good times.

I also beat Lara Croft: Go. This was a solid puzzle spin off, not as tricky as Hitman: Go but challenging enough.
    Last edited by NeoZeedeater; 27 Dec 2017 at 04:28 PM.