Page 30 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1626282930313234 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

1. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    29. Super Mario Odyssey

Beat Long Journey's End, didn't get every moon. This is a great game. It's consistently pretty and adorable. The stages are exactly what you'd want amped-up modern-day Mario 64 stages to be: they're both larger and denser, packed to the brim with moons to find, and so often the moons are used as rewards for completing abstract (but still pretty) platformer-courses tucked away in hidden pipes and doors. The game doesn't really get tough until real late in the post-game stuff, and I don't think this game's highs quite hit those of 3D World's, but it's a more consistently interesting game overall thanks to the constant feeling of finding cool tucked-away shit. 3DW's design relies more on challenge and it takes too long for that game to get spicy. I think I'd give the nod to Odyssey as the better game overall.
    Same. Finished The Dark Side and Darker side, and topped off at 560 moons. I don't think I'll be going for 999, so I'm going to call this done, but I might pick at moons when I'm bored. It's amazing how much stuff there is to find. It keeps the game super rewarding. Almost everywhere you'd think to explore there's something to find. It's really good at giving you enough challenges to keep the progress satisfying, but never putting up any real barriers to progress. It's all about letting you have fun how you want.

I liked it more than I expected. I'd say it's in the lead for Game of the Year for me right now.

Road Avenger (Sega CD) - This is one of my favorite FMV games with great situations and logical inputs. It feels very kinetic and fun to play despite how much the video suffers on this system. I'm going to make it a priority to find the Playstation 2 pack with this game on it when I'm back in Japan this Feb.

3. Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS)- Loved this game from start to finish. I loved the counter mechanic but was also glad it was optional by the mid game. Only had to use it in boss fights and to refill energy. Some of the Metroid fights got a little long in the tooth sometimes, but the actual boss fights were ALOT of fun. The game looks and sounds amazing. The 3DS really ended on a high note with this game for me.

GJ Mercury Steam!

4. I finally got around to FFXV after getting my X.
    It was good, but I never want another game like it. Lots of VI allusions. Ardyn completes his goal like Kefka, and the world is literally called “The World of Ruin”.
    The main character sacrifices themselves to save the world.
    Prompto is basically Celes.

5. Finished Wolfenstein 2.

This is a GOTY frontrunner for me. On the whole, this is a much better game than The New Order because it cuts out the slower bits from that game. Some may have liked the stealthier sections and the underwater exploration but they just get in the way of the dual-wielding Nazi killing, which works oh so much better here. I never upgraded the pistol to use the silencer, and I never needed it. I did use the sound suppressor on the SMG frequently, and between that and thrown hatchets that was as much stealth as I needed.

The end of the game is somewhat abrupt, especially if you spend a few hours near the end playing side missions, which I encourage. It's fun going back to places like Roswell to explore the above-ground area which you don't get to spend too much time in the first time around. The final area of the last mission is pretty fun if you grab the Ubergewehr before the elevator and kill everything. The Ubergewehr is Wolfenstein's take on the BFG and it pretty much works the same way. It and the Kampfpistole are my favorite new guns in the game, by far. Just make sure to get the Rocket upgrade for it.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. Phoenix Wright: Spirit of Justice

I held off on this one until the tablet version came out. That ended up taking longer than I hoped, but it is still the best version.

Despite the efforts to keep things fresh with a new setting and new legal system, this is probably the weakest of the games in the series so far. I saw most of the plot reveals way in advance, and it seemed longer than the other games. Still, this series almost feels like a TV show in the sense that it's familiar and easy to jump back into the world and characters, even if one "season" might not be as good as the last.

7. Finished Wolfenstein 2 as well. I agree with Sleeve -- a really great game overall, even with the occasional hiccups (Joust is right, too, regarding disconcerting lack of controller feedback). I'm too old and slow for non-stop run and gunning, so I did about half the stuff on a stealth basis. But the all out assaults were pretty amazing -- fully upgraded Schockhammer was the business. Also, one of the few games where I was always interested in watching the cut-scenes -- crazy stuff. I did "Bring 'Em On" difficulty if anyone gives a damn.
    "Fiends! Animals! Bastards!"

8. Really hoping the Switch version of Wolf 2 comes out good. I don't really have the time for it at home right now.

9. 30. Metroid

FDS version. This was pretty cool. Kinda like with playing Metal Gear after Metal Gear Solid, I'm surprised at how much of Super was established in the original. It doesn't hold a candle to Super, of course, and the repetition of rooms makes the lack of a map extra painful, but considering its contemporaries I think it does a really good job of setting up the atmosphere and keeping environments varied (even if the action going on in the rooms gets pretty samey).

Nice! I don't think many would play through Metroid 1 for the first time in 2017 given the difficulty and lack of map. Have you played Zillion?