Page 29 of 38 FirstFirst ... 1525272829303133 ... LastLast

Thread: Completion Thread 2017: Trigger Happy Havoc

Quote Originally Posted by Mzo View Post
    Little Nightmares (PS4) - There's some great scenery and characters in this one, especially the Spirited Away-like final chapter. Really well-done cinematic platformer, though I wish it weren't quite so cryptic in its narrative.
    This looks neat. I thought it was another version of Unravel when I first saw the trailer. They look very similar in parts.

Game Center CX (DS) - Finally cleared all the games. Super charming and super fun. Now it's time to finish the 2nd game.

3. 28. Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus

Played on Hard. This was a slight let-down. The brutal tone and excellent narrative are there from The New Order (the latter is mostly even better), but gone are the varied locations, tense-but-flexible battles, and occasional big ol bosses. Billy gets torn up like paper on Hard mode, to the point where some battles feel extremely rote and corner-huggy, and the sometimes jacked-up checkpoint placement only exacerbates this. Maybe Normal gives other playstyles a bit of room to breathe, but the arenas seem more limited in this game as well. Sometimes it feels as good as TNO, and it's still ultimately pretty good, but here's hoping the inevitable third game will top the first.

4. Quote Originally Posted by Tain View Post
    28. Wolfenstein II - The New Colossus

Played on Hard. This was a slight let-down. The brutal tone and excellent narrative are there from The New Order (the latter is mostly even better), but gone are the varied locations, tense-but-flexible battles, and occasional big ol bosses. Billy gets torn up like paper on Hard mode, to the point where some battles feel extremely rote and corner-huggy, and the sometimes jacked-up checkpoint placement only exacerbates this. Maybe Normal gives other playstyles a bit of room to breathe, but the arenas seem more limited in this game as well. Sometimes it feels as good as TNO, and it's still ultimately pretty good, but here's hoping the inevitable third game will top the first.
    I'm playing it on Do or Die! and using little to no cover, very little stealth, and constant dual wielding, pretty much. Old-school Doom/Wolfenstein. Feels like the right difficulty setting for that sort of play.

Being able to save anywhere is a nice change from TNO. They also totally revised the melee combat system. With the Ramshackles, you can even instagib lightly armored units while dashing.

Overall I feel like the combat is a big improvement from TNO.
    Last edited by sleeve; 08 Nov 2017 at 10:46 AM.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

5. I think I went Call Me Terror-Billy. I took the stilts, maybe the ramshackles would have been more fun lol.

6. I found the dashing annoying because I would accidentally hit an explosive. I liked the game well enough, but there was a lot of bullshit in it.

7. 13. South Park The Fractured But Whole (PC)

I really enjoyed this game. There were some nice improvements over the first game (better battles, more shit to do, a quicker feel to it all, crafting) and some missteps (buddy action animations being forced, hand holding for most of the objectives, some fights dragged on a bit) but overall it was a great time. Finished up the last optional boss and all the achievements today, right around 30 hours of actually playing. If you enjoy the show or the previous game I definitely suggest it.

8. 29. Super Mario Odyssey

Beat Long Journey's End, didn't get every moon. This is a great game. It's consistently pretty and adorable. The stages are exactly what you'd want amped-up modern-day Mario 64 stages to be: they're both larger and denser, packed to the brim with moons to find, and so often the moons are used as rewards for completing abstract (but still pretty) platformer-courses tucked away in hidden pipes and doors. The game doesn't really get tough until real late in the post-game stuff, and I don't think this game's highs quite hit those of 3D World's, but it's a more consistently interesting game overall thanks to the constant feeling of finding cool tucked-away shit. 3DW's design relies more on challenge and it takes too long for that game to get spicy. I think I'd give the nod to Odyssey as the better game overall.

Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I really like those buildings and explosions in Xenodrift.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by Tain; 13 Nov 2017 at 12:45 AM.

In between my FPS playing this weekend I slipped in a play of The Bunker. I've been curious about what a modern take on the FMV genre would be, and gave it a go. It's pretty much an interactive movie with babby's first adventure game thrown in, which is fine and exactly what it needed to be. The acting from the two leads (John and his mother) were surprisingly good, and the game, while not scary for the most part, has a creepiness that slowly builds until the climax, which has a nice twist to it.

It clocks in right at 2 hours and there's no reason to ever replay it. If the idea of playing a FMV game in 2017 interests you I'd recommend giving it a shot, and block out two hours as you'll want to do this in a single playthrough.

10. 21) 720° (AC)
    Score: 139350 Medal Score: 23

What a tough one, even on the training level. Still I got by and beat it with one continue (limited to 2), having bought all 3 helmets and 2 shoe upgrades. Played using Logitech F310 in MAME, which is as good as using a DualShock on PlayStation versions.
    Last edited by gameoverDude; 28 Nov 2017 at 12:55 AM.