Page 1 of 17 123515 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Playing? (Winter 2017)

What Are You Playing? (Winter 2017)

I guess if Yoshi isn't around somebody needs to make the thread...

Anyway, with the release of Shantae Half Genie Hero I figured it's about time for me to actually play these games since I've had Risky's Revenge and The Pirate's Curse for quite some time unplayed. I ran through Risky's Revenge on PS4 this past week and it's a fantastic little game. It's just the right length to be fun without overstaying its welcome.

I started Pirate's Curse last night and it does what a sequel should: takes the basic gameplay of the previous game and improves it in most every way. I'm only an hour in and I think I'm going to love this game.

2. Where's Yoshi?

I'm still on my fall/winter trio of Heroes of the Storm, Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 but Heroes has taken most of my time. This is the first moba to hold my attention since I feel that it gets so much right. If anyone here has ever wanted to try it, I'll play anytime.

Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    Where's Yoshi?
    Dead, probably.

4. Jamestown: Bought a PS4 Pro and rebought this game. Feeling the groove again. Fun times with the PS4 controller!

Bloodborne: If you liked doing SL1 runs in Dark Souls and parrying/riposting everything in sight, this is definitely your game. This game is at its best when it strays from the DS formula and makes levels irrelevant and relies on pure gameplay and atmosphere. I got bored with it for a while when I was stuck in the Forbidden Woods but then I got kidnapped all of a sudden and it was like a whole new game!

SMT IV: Apocalypse: If you haven't played SMT IV yet, play this instead. It's much more lively and fun. Not that SMT IV is bad -- I love it -- but this is easier to jump into (and easier, period). Mara (the penis demon) just made his first appearance!
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

Jamestown is awesome.

6. FFXV: I love this game so much. There's so much that's wrong or just finicky with it (bad target selection, a lot of trading hits through special attacks that should have iframes, awkward poses, poorly edited flashbacks, etc.) but it's so much more than the sum of its parts. The smooth transition of coming into a story in progress which then has the characters running away feels better executed than most every other JRPG ever which has the main character kicked out of his hometown, and all the little silly details really make the setting. On one hand I'd call the terrible photos the most useless game addition in a long time, but it really helps sell the idea that these guys are buddies roadtripping around more than anything else. I love the high fives after team up attacks and the way they all screw around in the car while driving.

Legend of Legacy: ARBM mentioning this reminded me I never got very far in this despite enjoying it, so I'm back at it and grinding away before I crack open 7th Dragon. Such a cute little game, I really like the way HP is automatically refilled after every battle, but there seems to be a huge amount of attacks missing all the time.

Pony Island: Saw this mentioned in NeoZeed's completion list and gave it a shot since it was like $1 during the sale. I can't tell if some aspects are meant to be a joke or are just overly heavy handed, but I think they did a great job with most of the meta elements. At least, until the game actually broke and began running at like 1% speed. Seems pretty short so I should be done with it soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling View Post
    This is the first moba to hold my attention since I feel that it gets so much right. If anyone here has ever wanted to try it, I'll play anytime.
    If it had direct control I'd play it a bunch, I really like the game but I don't care for click-to-move. Would love a console release for this.

7. Finally sit down to marathon Catherine over the weekend, got the bad end.

Been playing Final Fantasy 6 Advance on my micro in bits and pieces. Never finished it on the SNES, only rented it and had to return it around the World of Ruin.

8. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post

Legend of Legacy:... a huge amount of attacks missing all the time.
    Maybe it's the weapon(s)? The big weapons like broadswords and axes miss often. Skills themselves have varying hit rates, too. Moreover, characters have specific weapon proficiencies, though those may only pertain to the skill AWAKENing multipliers and not to hit percentage. But who knows! All of these stats are buried and the game never tells you anything; not about the battle fast-forwarding I didn't use for the first dozen hours or about commissioning the ships or Singing Shards retaining skills or orororororoeoor. Some of that stuff was fun to discover, though.

The one pro tip I have is to use the Air Contract every battle. It replenishes a LOT of MP each turn: like 3-5. That way you can use your good skills all the time without fear of MP depletion.

Also, which element is the most prominent on the battle field makes a huge difference. I think Air halves charm skills, Water halves weapon skills, and Fire doubles all damage.
    Last edited by A Robot Bit Me; 03 Jan 2017 at 10:31 PM.

9. Quote Originally Posted by MechDeus View Post
    If it had direct control I'd play it a bunch, I really like the game but I don't care for click-to-move. Would love a console release for this.
    That would be a good move by Blizzard. Diablo and Overwatch both do well. Heroes would translate great. The FTP model as well as the gold unlocking system would be a good fit.

10. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    Maybe it's the weapon(s)? The big weapons like broadswords and axes miss often.
    Could be. I had Garnet as a tank, Owen as my main with a broadsword, and Filmia with a spear so almost every round was: Garnet blocks all physical incoming attacks, Filmia gets hit with air and gets stunned, and Owen swings and misses. I guess I'm a little stubborn there because I've unlocked at least one skill for every weapon type I have so far except the broadsword.