Thread: Russia

1. Russia

Click for full size

Maybe a good time to talk about Russia?

- Russia influenced the 2016 election
    - But so did every other major country
    - So the Democrats are warhawks for the first time since Vietnam
    - Trump is pushing to be Russia's ally for the first time since WW II
    - Russia stepped into Syria because we destroyed Iraq, left Iraq, created ISIS, and decided we wanted no part in bringing back order
    - One of Russia's Ambassadors was assassinated on Turkish soil in glorious film
    - Turkey is getting pretty fucked up too
    - Oh and Russia took Ukrainian soil recently, too

Those are the known facts so far.

What's going to happen with Russia?
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Are we in character here? I can never keep track anymore.

3. Gonna need your bank statement, Doc.

4. Ha funny! The DNC hacked emails exposed the DNC influencing the election and the media, but the story is the credibility of the source of the hack, Russia. This thread is about Russia, but the replies are about the credibility of the author. Everybody trying to be Johnny Cochran.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

Ok, whatever. Remember that fake coup in Turkey? I've been tremendously uncomfortable since that happened.

6. See I don't really know the details of that. Are you saying Russia was involved?

7. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    the replies are about the credibility of the author
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post
    Ha funny!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh View Post
    Ok, whatever. Remember that fake coup in Turkey? I've been tremendously uncomfortable since that happened.
    See I remember the whole thing about Erdogan staging it but it seems the news is 50/50 on it. Do you have a credible piece of info on it to cut through the bias interpretations? (Not saying you're biased, btw, just something that's different than every Google result on the first page.)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-01-07 at 11.31.38 PM.png 
Views:	329 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	79846  
    Last edited by Calliander; 07 Jan 2017 at 11:36 PM.

Gut feeling from paying obsessively close attention while it was going on.

9. Seriously hypothetical question here, because I love hearing about possibilities - I don't have an opinion fully formed yet on the situation. But say we do become loose allies with Russia, what happens then? Is that better than going through the Cold War again? Or are we making enemies with a lot of other countries that we can't afford to lose?
    Quote Originally Posted by dechecho View Post
    Where am I anyway? - I only registered on here to post on this thread

It really depends on Russia. Their people were abused and controlled for so long, they are ingrained to mistrust all the other European and uk powers and the nations created by them. They do not trust capitalist, industrialist, the wealthy, old money, democracies or republics, etc. One simple way to look at it would be to look at serfdom. It would become rare in western Europe by the 1400s, while remaining in Russia up until 1860s. What do you think the impact of almost 500 more years of white slavery would have on a population?

And we don't really trust them. Perhaps because they murdered the royal family that was related to all the other royal families of the time. Perhaps because they seized the property of many global industries that had moved into Russia. (Which, by the way, influenced the US and UKs dealings with Russia in WW2, encourged us to make secret land deals behind and around Russia, causing Russia to over react and start the Cold war and the Berlin Wall).

So I don't know. They're dicks, because their ancestors were repressed. And we've been mean to them because they're dicks. Which further encourages them to be dicks.