Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345679 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Rambling or Something I Guess

1. Good points all around. The GC is the reason I qualified it with a 'might'.
    Wii U has better Marios and maybe the best Pikmin, but the new Zelda may or may not edge out what was on GC. I never liked the Metroid Prime games all that much.
    It definitely beats Wii and N64 in my book, and it's hard to make direct comparisons to NES and SNES because the games have changed so much.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Andrew View Post
    Unless Donkey Kong Tropic Freeze is this underrated masterpiece that undoes all of the above, I'm just not seeing a best-ever first party library. Not trying to shit all over it, but it's far from the pinnacle.
    It doesn't, but it's still an exceptional game. To your point, though, it's not an imaginative or daring one (not that DKC ever traded on innovation).

Dkc sure got a lot of milage out of that first level on the kiosk in a lot of stores. All in all, it wasn't very good.

Original DKC was a really good game, it just wasn't top shelf platforming like SMW or Sonic.

5. I'll take any DKC's mechanics over SMW's and those of any Sonic.

DKC is a different kind of game. Each level is a series of single-screen platformer levels like Meatboy's or N+'s stitched together. If Sonic and SMW are about exploration, DKC is about execution. It's not just that DKC is more difficult; it's that DKC's obstacles and their movement are the point where Sonic and SMW's avatars and their movement are the point.

Not necessarily better, just different and more my cup of tea.

You probably like foot jobs more than a bj too. You weirdo.

7. Don't you kink- or kong-shame me.

There are lots of well designed games out there. Go is arguably way better than chess, btw. Why don't you pick up something that's less frantic but with tons of style and immersiveness, something like The Witness, where you can only get the full experience as a videogame since it uses all sorts of audio/visual tools to enhance what might as well be book puzzles?

What do you think about slower paced RTS games, like Civilization?

What about open-ended open-world RPG's, like Fallout 1, or the original Deus Ex? These games reward planning and experimentation and creativity.

Another thing you didn't really talk about was the team/multiplayer aspect that videogames bring. You can't really emulate this kind of teamwork except in physical team sports. An experience like running or being a part of a 40 man raid is unmatched in other media. The closest thing I can relate it to was doing a space simulator with 20 other kids in a facility built for that.
    Last edited by Cowutopia; 23 Jan 2017 at 10:57 AM.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie
    There are no rules, only consequences.

Chess at high levels is more about memorization than most videogames. Chess is a "solved" game and strings of moves have been proven to be good or bad, and memorizing the right moves in response to your opponent's opening moves is as important as understanding tactical options available to you with your pieces.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie

One of my favorite games of all time is Tetris Attack, multiplayer. It feels like directly measuring up your brain horsepower against another player, but execution and APM factor into it as well, but not on the same level as say a Starcraft II. You can argue that it's not quite as interactive, but at high levels you really have to pay some attention to what your opponent is doing and time your attacks and clears to counter aggression.
    Pete DeBoer's Tie