Page 1 of 13 1235 ... LastLast

Thread: Video Game Rambling or Something I Guess

1. Treasure Video Game Rambling or Something I Guess

I don't play video games much any more. But, I spent the last 5 hours in an arcade. And before that, I spent 40+ hours on Red Dead Redemption, which is not new.

But man, I hate 8 bit games -- with the exception of a few (Zelda & SMB). They are difficult only because the controls are limited, the enemies bombard you, and your life is limited to 1 or 2 hits. The only way to win is pattern recognition. And that takes skill, but it mostly takes time and memorization. The enemies are dumb and follow a strict pattern, once you learn it, you're set.

Now, let's look at Chess. In Chess, in a single move, you have X amount of players, against Y amount of opponents with up to 6 move patterns. Then, with your move you need to consider the next set of moves after that each with the same combinations. Chess is considerably more complex than the standard 8 bit game.

On the opposite end, games like Red Dead Redemption are incredibly complex, the enemies adapt to recognize your patterns, yet your player can take infinite hits, as long as you back off to allow your health to regain, and you're virtually invincible. That's too easy.

To further add to that, I was fascinated by The King of Kong, who memorized the Donkey Kong pattern so perfectly he attained a perfect score.

So... what is the most complex, adaptive game ever made and did they incorporate a scoring system to determine a high score?

Essentially, have we not developed a better game than Chess?
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; 22 Jan 2017 at 02:21 AM.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt

2. Mortal Kombat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

3. Highdeas.
    Boo, Hiss.

4. Quote Originally Posted by sleeve View Post
    Mortal Kombat.

I know that's a joke. But I went from playing Ghosts N' Goblins to Soul Caliber and immediately I realized the attraction to 90's fighting games was not the violence, but the social aspect of it being a two player game, and when not, the computer opponent had multiple plays to choose from.

You don't hate 8-bit games. You hate first generation arcade games and their score based play model.

There are plenty of nes games that start to leave that model. Like Gorilla warfare. Or cool platformers like Kirby or Monster in my pocket.

6. Strategy games like Advance Wars and Nectaris are the closest video game analogue to chess, I guess. SRPGs fit the mold a bit, too, but there's a lot more variables in terms of class builds & abilities and level grinding.

Something like Geometry Wars is a bit more reflexive take. All the enemies have easy-to-delineate rules of movement that are reactive to your positioning and movement.

Actually, I'd say class-based shooters like Overwatch and TF2 kind of fit the spirit, too. Each character has a small, well-defined pool of abilities, a good team relies on balancing roles and utilizing them effectively, not unlike chess pieces.

7. Hentai shooters are really what you want.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Doc Holliday View Post

Now, let's look at Chess. In Chess, in a single move, you have X amount of players, against Y amount of opponents with up to 6 move patterns. Then, with your move you need to consider the next set of moves after that each with the same combinations. Chess is considerably more complex than the standard 8 bit game.

Essentially, have we not developed a better game than Chess?

9. I have that for Amiga. It's a pretty good chess game from what I can tell, but I'm sure the AI is a joke for anyone who actually plays the game seriously.

Hungry Hungry Hippos was always more my style.

10. They should update that!

Quote Originally Posted by kingoffighters View Post
    Hentai shooters are really what you want.
    Is this a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon McShig View Post
    Strategy games like Advance Wars and Nectaris are the closest video game analogue to chess, I guess. SRPGs fit the mold a bit, too, but there's a lot more variables in terms of class builds & abilities and level grinding.

Something like Geometry Wars is a bit more reflexive take. All the enemies have easy-to-delineate rules of movement that are reactive to your positioning and movement.

Actually, I'd say class-based shooters like Overwatch and TF2 kind of fit the spirit, too. Each character has a small, well-defined pool of abilities, a good team relies on balancing roles and utilizing them effectively, not unlike chess pieces.
    Thanks for the suggestions! I guess what I was trying to say last night was I was frustrated Ghost N Goblins, Donkey Kong, Tapper, etc. we're hard because you had to play them near infallibly while memorizing the wave of enemies and I'm looking for a game which is challenging because you have a much more difficult time predicting the enemies next moves, no matter how many times you play it.
    "Question the world man... I know the meaning of everything right now... it's like I can touch god." - bbobb the ggreatt