Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hyper Light Drifter

1. Hyper Light Drifter

More indie action games with pixel art and very little knockback, get your replies ready.

I'm about an hour in and loving everything about it so far. The visuals, the combat, the almost 70's sci-fi soundtrack, the neat noises everyone makes instead of speaking, it's all great.

Similar to the Witcher 2/3 in which enemies attack in packs and trying to beat down one without sneaking in attacks and then dodging back out real fast will leave you open for retaliation, the enemies in this are fast and vicious enough that just charging in will only lead to death. It's not really tough, per se, but I have needed to almost always be very aware of how I'm attacking. One weird thing is that there's a gun that earns back its ammo by hitting things with the sword. While it's an interesting balance design that prevents the player from just killing everything at range, I do also wish there was some kind of a lock on for it.

The game does feel a little dense at times, because there are hidden paths everywhere so in between the combat sessions I'm wall humping like it's 1994. Judging from the size of the map (unless there's some surprises in store later on) it doesn't look like a huge game, so I think it's just a case of a lot being packed in so that every area is worthwhile.

(I thought we already had a thread for this but I can't find anything.)

2. how's Maldita Castilla coming?

3. Slowly, but better than I've done with Volgarr. Made it stage 3, I think.

4. I've been following the Kickstarter progress of this forever. It's one of my most anticipated plays. Just waiting for the console release.
    Boo, Hiss.

5. Mid-2016 is a fairly unhelpful release date for those versions.

6. Yeah.
    Boo, Hiss.

7. Looks like shit. I wish they tried to not make it look shitty.

This has been my most anticipated game in a long time. Gonna wrap up Phantasy Star and jump on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    how's Maldita Castilla coming?
    Should be required for TNL'rs.

Quote Originally Posted by Diff-chan View Post
    Looks like shit. I wish they tried to not make it look shitty.
    Dude,I just can't see where you're coming from here. Like, the big chunky pixel look is often misused but this is beautiful and it looks perfect for what they seem to be going for. This and No Man's Sky are the first games in like 2 generations that have appeal on an aesthetic basis.
    Last edited by Vasteel; 31 Mar 2016 at 03:59 PM.
    To boldly go where lots of men have gone before...

9. Oooo gradients. I think it looks good. The color choices are nice. I really like the effects animation.

The only difference between this and something like 'Transistor' is just an intentional aesthetic choice, pixel-y vs. painterly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor Ramon View Post
    I don't even the rage I mean )#@($@IU_+FJ$(U#()IRFK)_#
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Stupid Japanese Name View Post
    I'm sure whatever Yeller wrote is fascinating!

10. Yeah, what the heck, that look gorgeous. I think i told them i wanted the Vita version on my Kickstarter survey so i'll be waiting until ??/??/Hopefully2016
    Donk