Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Official Horror Effects and Gore Gags Thread

1. I love pausing the video just at the moment before the head explosion to see what the dummy looks like they're blowing up. The Deadly friend one is pretty good. The one from the beyond is freaking kooky looking! The Maniac one is so so but the budget for that movie was pretty low so you can only do so much with what you got.

I never saw Deadly Friend but I will buy it if its available on Amazon. Looks great!

I've been trying to find the scene from Silentnight Deadly Night where Linnea Quigley gets impaled on Deer antlers but I can't find the uncut version that's on the Blu Ray. Sucks.

Little doc on Savini doing work on Maniac:

2. For some reason I rememeber Thomas Jane in the scene when the guy is found (and the guy swears he didn't tell them anything). Oh, Tom Savini is in season 3 of the From Dusk Till Dawn series.
    Last edited by Rumpy; 15 Feb 2017 at 06:03 PM.

3. Another Fulci effect. The crying blood effect is neat. The dummy head is pure cheese!

4. Thats pretty rad. I haven't watched much Fulci as Cat in The Brain turned me off (that is one of the worst movies I've ever seen).

I'm finding it surprisingly hard to find clips of rad shit from more obscure horror flicks like Ghost in The Machine and Society.

5. The Thing is my all-time favorite horror movie, and it's contribution to the advancement of practical gore/monster effects really can't be stated enough. I always enjoyed the scene where one of the Things masquerades as a dude so perfectly that it even copies his heart condition and actually suffers a heart attack after a struggle. The Thing "victim" is rushed to the infirmary where it is subjected to shocks from a defibrillator by Dr. Copper, and suddenly grows a huge toothed maw in it's stomach and bites off the unfortunate doctor's arms in retaliation. While director John Carpenter doesn't really go into the set-up of the scene in great detail during his DVD commentary (other than stating that everything in the scene was done on-set in front of the camera with nothing added in post), others have revealed that the pulled-back shot of the arm-less doctor screaming while waving his bloody stumps around was actually a double-amputee actor wearing a mask, and it's pretty damn convincing. I fucking love this movie.
    Last edited by Dolemite; 22 Feb 2017 at 07:11 PM.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

6. Wasn't it that scene they almost killed themselves filming? The fire bar was too close to the body on the table and it caught fire with all sorts of toxins billowing off of it.

7. Quote Originally Posted by Rumpy View Post
    Wasn't it that scene they almost killed themselves filming? The fire bar was too close to the body on the table and it caught fire with all sorts of toxins billowing off of it.
    Something like that, yeah. I think Rob Bottin (the effects guy) tells a story on the DVD where the shit he used for the scene were so toxic that the resulting build-up of gas actually blew up the prop he had spent 24 hours setting up once the flames were lit, causing Carpenter to completely freak out on him.

Apparently Kurt Russell was also almost blown up in the scene where he chucks a stuck of dynamite at the Palmer Thing.

Dolemite, the Bad-Ass King of all Pimps and Hustlers
    Gymkata: I mean look at da lil playah woblin his way into our hearts in the sig awwwwwww

8. This might be a good spot to not only highlight favorites but promising upcoming movies. Has anyone heard of this?

As you can see there are some glimpses of throw back The Fly and The Thing body effects and I hear that the movie relies predominantly on practical work.