Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 35678911 ... LastLast

Thread: Culdcept Revolt (3DS)

1. I appreciate the impressions, SSJN! They're making the wait more tolerable.

Re: the AI cheating--the deck order is fixed on shuffle. You can test it by saving/reloading. So, that the AI got that one card that saved them from your Kelpie/Cloud Gizmo/Old Willow situation was just a matter of un/luck. Whether the AI dice rolls are truly random, though...jury's out on that.

I'm a little worried about the microtransactions. I can't imagine they'd designate specific cards as obtainable by real money only, though they certainly could. On one hand, that pay-to-win is (likely to be) in a $40 3DS game at all is a bummer. On the other, the grind to 4 copies of every card is historically agonizing, even when using the trick where the game plays itself while you hold your face two inches from your bathroom mirror inventorying your hairline and trying to remember the day your face became a "mug."

2. Aside from the usual C-ceptisms that have been with the game from its inception, the only thing that I could complain about is the story. It doesn't fit this type of game whatsoever in a logical way. I won't spoil anything by giving away the true story in case someone really cares, but here's an analogous one.

You and an NPC are art thieves. You plan to break into the Louvre to steal Mona Lisa. As you gather your ropes and laser cutters and aerosol smoke you two decide you better steel your nerves by having a Culdcept match. After 20 minutes have gone by and you've won, it's time to do the job. You're on your way to the Louvre when your kid brother catches up with you. He wants to join the caper! He's too young and inexperienced you argue. There's only one way to prove himself. He challenges you to Culdcept match. Standing in the middle of the street, you pull out your book. 15 minutes later (because c'mon, the kid is young and inexperienced after all) you stealthily make your way around the museum; you happen upon a guard. He's about to blow his whistle and cause an alarm when you challenge him to a Culdcept match. He agrees that if you win, you can go about your business. But if he wins, he's pulling the alarm. It may take a few reloads and two hours but you eventually win. You finally make it to Mona, and what do you know?! Your old thief rival is there planning to steal her too! The guards are due to make another round any minute now! Better have a Culdcept match to determine who gets to steal the painting! After a 45 minute long match, you win. The painting is yours! As you pull it off the wall, a hidden switch is tripped and a steel cage drops from the ceiling trapping you! You wage a Culdcept battle against the lock so that you can escape! 30 minutes later you're free and on your way! You encounter the guard you battled previously. He's back, this time with your old thief rival!! Lights are flashing, alarms are buzzing, and the cops are on their way. But you pause to have a three way battle with the guard and rival. An hour and 22 minutes later you escape the museum- booty in hand.
    Of course, after each battle you paused for 5-10 minutes so you could buy new cards and adjust your book accordingly.

The story would be better served if the premise was like pokemon. You're just a person trying to become the best there is and so you battle everyone you meet. Instead, you're put in these scenarios where stopping to battle makes absolutely no sense. I understand, it's video games, but the story is way too earnest to be built around such a goofy premise. The good news is you can press start to skip the talky parts. The bad news, for me, is my ocd won't let me do that.

3. I want to know what happens next though. Is there a culdecept battle with Jigen before you get in the escape helicopter?
    Donk

4. You'll have to have a culdcept battle with me to find out!

5. Quote Originally Posted by A Robot Bit Me View Post
    I appreciate the impressions, SSJN! They're making the wait more tolerable.

Re: the AI cheating--the deck order is fixed on shuffle. You can test it by saving/reloading. So, that the AI got that one card that saved them from your Kelpie/Cloud Gizmo/Old Willow situation was just a matter of un/luck. Whether the AI dice rolls are truly random, though...jury's out on that.

I'm a little worried about the microtransactions. I can't imagine they'd designate specific cards as obtainable by real money only, though they certainly could. On one hand, that pay-to-win is (likely to be) in a $40 3DS game at all is a bummer. On the other, the grind to 4 copies of every card is historically agonizing, even when using the trick where the game plays itself while you hold your face two inches from your bathroom mirror inventorying your hairline and trying to remember the day your face became a "mug."
    Serves him right for running an Old Willow deck IMO. Those decks are bullshit.
    The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not too sure it is always right. -Learned Hand

"Jesus christ you are still THE WORST." -FirstBlood

6. Yeah well Old Willow ended up not being worth the trouble after 3 battles. Everyone had scrolls or penetration or other shit that made him a paper tiger.
    I just fought another 2 on 1 and holy crap was I anticipating having to crack my 3DS in half at the end of it. It was my second attempt at the battle, I foolishly thought I could go two battles without getting new cards/editing my book. Dude knocked me and the other NPC out easily. I readjusted my deck to better handle what he could do and ended up bankrupting him 2/3 of the way through the battle. The other NPC (a female) though suddenly was flexing nuts when she too got destroyed by dude in the first battle.

Anyway, it's the penultimate round. I have 11,000 gp (only needed 8000 to win) and she just hit 8000. I'm 5 or 6 spaces from hitting the castle and winning the battle. She's around 8 spaces and she goes before I do. She's been sitting on a "fly" spell. Of course she used it. This is when I begin anticipating taking a hammer to my 3DS. I assumed her 3 dice would result in a roll that allowed her to win. I almost turned the game off rather than have to witness it. But I didn't.
    Even if she didn't roll a number high enough to win, there were only two spaces of mine between she and the goal. One of them had a toll of something like 2000. The other was 864. Most of the other spaces were empty or low toll because dude had to sell off when I bankrupted him. She plays the "fly" card. The dice roll. She gets the number that puts her on my 2000 toll. She didn't even attempt to fight.
    My next roll was enough to reach the castle. I ended up with 13000gp, she had 5000, and dude had 500 or so.
    That was thrilling.

7. http://nisamerica.com/games/culdcept...tem/index.html

There are some very substantial rule changes here, especially discarding at the end of your turn rather than the beginning and the ability to level the lands of/use the abilities of creatures you didn't pass in a given roll.

These and the two-dice roll instead of one should make matches faster. I'm not crazy about these changes, but they're appropriate for a handheld version, I guess.

8. It's been a while since I played Culdcept Saga, but I thought it was weird I could level anyone on the board so long as they weren't "fatigued."
    I can say with authority that I don't think the 2 dice rolls make the matches any faster. Though you can potentially roll a 1-12, so far it's been incredibly rare for me to get anything above a 6.

9. Pro-tip: Don't be anxious when setting up your battles. I've fucked myself over about a half dozen times by pressing A to advance to the next menu (which is where you'd choose an item) and it goes there automatically and "no item" is automatically highlighted so the button press takes you to the fight with no items.

Pro-tip part 2: Turn off the stupid yellow highlighter arrow that's supposed to be the game's way of giving you hints because if you're dumb like me you may thing it's also highlighted the item you want to use but really "no item" is highlighted and you'll go into the fight empty handed.

Pro-tip part 3: Maybe this carries over from the other games, but I don't recall it fucking me as much as it has in this game. "Attack First" always favors the attacker. Even if you give your defending character that has "attack first" innately an item that also has the "attack first" modifier, if the enemy has "attack first" he will go first.

Paid a bit more attention to the dice rolls in the last battle, which I rage quit. The two NPCs often rolled 8-12. I often rolled 1-4, or if I did roll something higher, it was enough to make me land on a spot I already owned. This resulted in the two NPCs owning the board (of around 30 spaces) while I had 5 spaces to myself.
    Last edited by Some Stupid Japanese Name; 25 Sep 2017 at 08:31 PM.

10. Here's the rare review that both does a great job initiating new players and explaining the changes and their implications for OGs:

http://www.culdceptcentral.com/culdc...uldceptcentral

Sounds like most of the cards that inflict other players with status effects are gone. I don't like that change at all, but it makes sense in a portable version.

The review is smart to point out that all of the changes seem geared toward not only speeding games up, but toward making creatures and map control more important. While I'm a little skeptical about the new rules and squares (the square that just gives you a random, free spell is some Mario Party shit), I have to admit the part where you're fighting and leveling your little dudes is the most fun part of the game, and the changes seem very much aware of that.